Official Football Thread

Well OK, he was great in this match, but he played in only 11 out of 21 games before this one, and scored only 3 goals. He isn't consistent, gotta admit that :)

Well, the first goal was lucky. The other two were the result of good positioning in the box from Eto'o, so credit to him for that.

Obviously, congrats to Chelsea (blah) on the win.

This match ended up looking quite different from what I had expected. United were actually decent up front and unlucky to not score in the first half. However, the defending on Chelsea's 2nd and 3rd goal was not very good.

This match also showed another example of a penalty situation where I think penalties should be given, but usually are not. Welbeck managed to get a finish, but due to him being tackled in the same moment, it wasn't a particularly good one. Still - how is it allowed to take a player down from behind just after he takes a shot? Everywhere else on the pitch, a free kick is given for that.

Also, how was Luiz not sent off in the first half? Charging into a player who's off the ball like that, elbow high and everything?

Finally: No excuses for the silly tackles by Vidic and Rafael in injury time. I think a red for Vidic's challenge was very harsh, especially considering what I said above about Luiz. However, Rafael should have seen the red, so one yellow and one red for those two is probably fair.

It can only get better now. A win against Sunderland on Wednesday to give the players a League Cup final to look forward to, and hopefully Rooney, RvP or both back for the next league match (Cardiff at home).

Wesley Sneijder has been very angry on the pitch in the last couple of matches we played and there are rumours of him leaving for Milan at the end of the season, hopefully something isn't up. I think he's just mad at his teammates because they suck, though.

He has no experience in coaching at this level. Aside from a few exceptions, this kind of appointment always backfires and the manager looses his job within a couple of seasons.

tumblr_mimkgh5DyB1rm76xwo1_500.gif

Some chinese billionaire is interested in buying Southampton. Another billionaire toy club in the making?

I used to be very mad at billionaire clubs, but these days I just want more teams to be competitive in the European competitions. So sick of certain teams dominating every year. Sure, I'd like it better the old-school way but that just isn't how it works nowadays.

One of the stories in the newspapers this morning is that Juan Mata might move to Manchester United for £37M. Chelsea don't use him so they might as well sell him, but it would be brainless to sell him to one of their rivals (next season's rivals).

Wish United had bought him last summer instead of spending on Fellaini. I don't think he will be allowed a move to United now.

What I don't get is why he isn't used more. He was last season's best player for Chelsea. A commanding midfielder who contributes greatly in attack.

Excellent! :D

Today's transfer rumour is that Real Madrid will bid for Wayne Rooney in the summer. This must be the millionth story about Wayne Rooney leaving Manchester United and he never goes. I think this is exactly the same.

Bloody hell. Man Utd go out on penalties to Sunderland after being in the final until one minute remained of extra time ...

The penalty shootout was so English it was almost funny even for a United fan ... out of 10 penalties, three ended in goals.

It's the worst penalty shootout I've seen in years, regardless of tournament. Even when you take into consideration that both clubs are English.

Back