Official Football Thread

Yep, it seems he's definitely out for 6-8 months :/

They probably won't loan out Lacina Traore now, that's their new striker.

See, it's not always bad being a Sunderland fan. Until we get relegated, that is.

Well, I wouldn't take the latter for granted. Sunderland have improved over the last month and there are many strong candidates for the relegation spots this season. Six points from Cardiff at the bottom to Villa in 10th ...

We'll see. I've never liked Sunderland having a cup run, because I always seem to think they do badly in the league. I stood through many a miserable match in the old Roker Park in the fog watching this happen.

How do you like the Stadium of Light in comparison?

Warning: Football nostalgia trip imminent.

I started my match-going career in Fredrikstad while they were still playing in their old stadium. The main stand in the picture below. Notice the plastic seats under roof - the VIP seats :D The rest of the stand had wooden benches. When the team was promoted to the 2nd tier in 2002, they had to paint "seat numbers" on the benches! After promotion to the top flight in 2003, all the benches were replaced with red plastic seats. The terrace behind the one goal (picture 2) remained as it was. I still feel nostalgic when I think of the few seasons when I used to attend matches there. The new stadium was opened in 2007 - the scoreboard from the old stadium was taken to the new, with the clock and score as it was at the end of the last league match to be played there.

Picture 1:
GamleFredrikstadStadion.jpg

Picture 2: The old "Clock End"
3784887683_9c255c05d2_m.jpg

Picture 3: The clock and scoreboard inside the new stadium - some of the old guard celebrating its arrival.
onsStadion-uret001_2147010a.jpg

I've never actually been in the SoL, I moved away before it opened. It looks good from the bridge over the river, though.

You should treat yourself to a trip to Wembley though. The next chance Sunderland fans will have a chance to see thir team playing there will be in the Championship play-off final next season.:p

abramovic-ferguson.jpg

Btw. Mourinho confirmed Mata will move to Manchester United, so the saga is over (unless Mata fails the medical :p).

Back