Official Football Thread

A nice surprise from a United point of view. I wonder if this means Kagawa is on the way back to Germany? Alternatively, noone is sold but Giggs retires in the summer (likely - I wonder why he didn't retire last summer). If everyone stays but Anderson's move to Fiorentina turns into a permanent one, United will have the following central midfield options: Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley, Fellaini, Mata, Kagawa (and we may count Jones, but I think he will be used more and more as a centre back). That would be an excellent bunch to choose from.

Mata and Kagawa are CAM's. Fellaini can be CM but is much better as CAM. I still think they need a creative central midfielder (to play in "2" in 4-2-3-1).

United are still one player away from being an elite team in Europe, as in contenders for any tournament. Like NP said, they need a central midfielder. Ilkay Gündoğan should be their primary target in the summer.

David de Gea
Rafael
Patrice Evra
Nemanja Vidic
Phil Jones
Marouane Fellaini
Ilkay Gündoğan
Juan Mata
Shinji Kagawa
Wayne Rooney
Robin van Persie

Pretty damn good.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Vidic new LB
Mata Carrick new CM Januzaj
Rooney RVP

Gündoğan would be a great signing, I agree.

Be2yNTfCMAEKQYG.jpg

Be2wnDKCEAAQOmV.jpg

Armageddon! Chelsea sells two players and makes profit! De Bruyne was bought for £7 million and sold for £17 million. Mata was bought for £23.5 million and sold for £37.1 million.

But...

Essien was bought for £24.4 million and Milan got him for free :D

Yeah this has been brought up in the last few days, even by Mourinho himself. I'm interested in seeing how Manchester City cope with FFP! If they have to sell players then Jovetic will be the first to go.

How do you like the Stadium of Light in comparison?

Warning: Football nostalgia trip imminent.

I started my match-going career in Fredrikstad while they were still playing in their old stadium. The main stand in the picture below. Notice the plastic seats under roof - the VIP seats :D The rest of the stand had wooden benches. When the team was promoted to the 2nd tier in 2002, they had to paint "seat numbers" on the benches! After promotion to the top flight in 2003, all the benches were replaced with red plastic seats. The terrace behind the one goal (picture 2) remained as it was. I still feel nostalgic when I think of the few seasons when I used to attend matches there. The new stadium was opened in 2007 - the scoreboard from the old stadium was taken to the new, with the clock and score as it was at the end of the last league match to be played there.

Picture 1:

Picture 2: The old "Clock End"

Picture 3: The clock and scoreboard inside the new stadium - some of the old guard celebrating its arrival.

Nice pics and reminiscences, DEW. You can't beat experiences like that.

The Stadium of Light, I've been to twice: a quite impressive stadium. Mind you, there's nothing to do anwyhere near the ground. The first time I went there was when Sunderland were bottom of the Premier League and being relegated, the second was when they were being promoted back again. The atmosphere at the first inside and outside of the ground was absolutely miserable, for the home fans anyway; the difference at the second match was unbelievably stark.

The FA Cup fifth round draw threw this up:

Manchester City vs. Chelsea
Arsenal vs. Liverpool

:eek:

That leaves the tournament wide open for Everton and Southampton who one would expect to overcome Swansea and Sunderland.

Nice pics and reminiscences, DEW. You can't beat experiences like that.

The Stadium of Light, I've been to twice: a quite impressive stadium. Mind you, there's nothing to do anwyhere near the ground. The first time I went there was when Sunderland were bottom of the Premier League and being relegated, the second was when they were being promoted back again. The atmosphere at the first inside and outside of the ground was absolutely miserable, for the home fans anyway; the difference at the second match was unbelievably stark.

Yes, it's outside the city centre on a bit of wasteland by the river, former colliery or shipyard land I think. Mind you, the old Roker Park was even further out, in a sea of terraced houses.

Back