Official Football Thread

Bundesliga: Bayern are really going to cruise to the title this season. They are doing really well, but even more it is due to a clear decline of their closest rivals Dortmund.

When Dortmund won their two recent titles (2010-11 and 2011-12), they took 75 and 81 points, respectively. Last season they got 65, and that was before they sold Götze! That's 16 points down in one year. This season they have 32 after the first half of the season - i.e. they are on course to a total points tally similar to last year's. Wonder what's happened to them. Did the Champions League really take so much away from their league form?

They have a lot of injuries this year. Against Bayern they had noone from their usual defensive lineup (Piszczek, Schmelzer, Hummels, Subotic) also İlkay Gündoğan hasn't played a game in months due to injury.

The road they'd actually drive along, the A96 (which isn't a coastal road), is pretty rough too! :p
I forgot about that road. I was thinking about the A90 which goes through Peterhead and then stops at Fraserburgh. ::)

And on Borussia Dortmund: it doesn't help when they keep losing their best players i.e. Kagawa and Gotze.

The thing is, Götze didn't leave until after the 2012-13 season finished. You have a point regarding Kagawa. Still, they did their best Champions League performance since 1997 last season without him ...

Dortmund's decline this season is at least 75% due to injuries. Their backup defenders just aren't good enough.

They signed 34 year old Manuel Friedrich who couldn't find a team as last resort, that should tell you the story.

I'd prefer the option Tottenham picked too. Their problem was that they had a guy who didn't know jack about using those machines altogether.

As I am watching the Milan derby I love the fact that Liga & Serie A games at times have 23:00 local time starts.
Yet bundesliga &Premier games have a usual start of noon. What a difference in a few countries.

Monday night games always suck.

Tim Sherwood has been made Tottenham manager until the end of next season. I expect this to be a terrible decision.

And that's with United and Spurs not being a part of that group, if they manage to pick up the pace, it'd be even more competitive. Great season we're having so far.

I don't expect that to happen from Tottenham any time soon and I think Manchester United will continue to be inconsistent. January will be interesting...

Newcastle, Spurs and Manchester United aren't that far away from Top 5. Those 3 and Top 5 could all mix up after next two rounds.

Back