Official Football Thread

Yet another draw for Galatasaray. We're 11 points behind Fenerbahçe now, the season is pretty much over already. Oh well, at least there's UCL.

According to the rulebook it should've been a penalty and a red card, throwing the second ball into the game like that counts as an handball and it was inside the pitch. Nothing was called and Beşiktaş actually lost the game 1-2. Gotta feel bad for them.

That's one of the most silly things I've seen on a football pitch.

I don't agree it's a red card - the defender does not deny Besiktas a "clear goal-scoring opportunity" and there is no rule that states that a handball inside the penalty box is a red card. Actually play should be stopped in the moment the second ball enters the pitch, and play restarted where the regular ball was when it happened. But I think a penalty would be a due punishment anyway - and the defender should get a yellow for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

What was the actual response from the ref? Just get the 2nd ball off the pitch and let play continue? Ridiculous.

That's one of the most silly things I've seen on a football pitch.

I don't agree it's a red card - the defender does not deny Besiktas a "clear goal-scoring opportunity" and there is no rule that states that a handball inside the penalty box is a red card. Actually play should be stopped in the moment the second ball enters the pitch, and play restarted where the regular ball was when it happened. But I think a penalty would be a due punishment anyway - and the defender should get a yellow for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

What was the actual response from the ref? Just get the 2nd ball off the pitch and let play continue? Ridiculous.

Holding the ball in your hands inside the penalty box would receive a red card, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. If you by doing that stopped an attacker from being clean through on goal, yes - or if the ball would have gone in. But say the opposition just hoof the ball up into your penalty area, no attacker seems to reach it, and a defender (not the goalkeeper) grabs it firmly with his hands? A penalty and a yellow card.

Alright, fair enough. I think Beşiktaş (even though they're our rivals) were robbed off a possible victory, they'd be up 2-0 away after the first 30 minutes. Beşiktaş came into the game being 3rd, Kasımpaşa came into the game being 2nd, so the game was actually a pretty big deal.

Of course I agree they were robbed there. Considering what that Kasımpaşa player did, a penalty would have been fair. But what is fair isn't necessarily what the rules say.

I checked the "laws of the game" at the FIFA website, and they actually don't state anything about what should happen when a second ball enters the field of play. It may actually be (but don't take my word for it) that the referee did nothing wrong in letting play continue, but that the only action taken should be a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour (and no penalty). Why?

Well: The second ball may be considered a foreign object like any other, rather than a ball in play. Think of the beach ball that caused Liverpool to lose 1-0 at Sunderland a few years back. Had a Liverpool player picked it up and thrown it away, it would of course be no penalty. My point? Just because the foreign object entering the field of play happens to be a ball similar to the one in play, doesn't mean it is itself a ball in play.

In other words: In order to say whether a penalty kick should have been given or not, we need to know what the rules say about a player using a foreign object to divert the ball. I've not been able to find out. Would be fun to ask a referee.

I think if you don't punish this behaviour, a homeside player can have an agreement with the ballboys to throw him the ball and let him end an attack like that. Which would be absurd, of course.

I agree with that, I'm just not sure about what kind of punishment is warranted by the rules. A yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour is clearly warranted - and the governing association should punish the club. Again, I'd really like to hear an experienced referee's thoughts on such a situation where a player uses a foreign object to interfere with play. I'm sure there is room for punishment, though.

Galatasaray - Chelsea
smile3508.gif

Manchester City vs. Barcelona
Olympiacos vs. Manchester United
Milan vs. Atletico Madrid
Bayer Leverkusen vs. Paris Saint-Germain
Galatasaray vs. Chelsea
Schalke vs. Real Madrid
Zenit vs. Borussia Dortmund
Arsenal vs. Bayern Munich

Arsenal-Bayern again. I'm satisfied with Atletico, they are very strong but they aren't impossible to beat.

Chelsea it is. I'm really excited for this draw. I think Chelsea and Manu were the only teams that we had a shot of beating and besides, that means Drogba is returning to Stamford Bridge. I'm not worried about statements that might be made by @Ariana in case we lose, we should be expected to lose. :D Hopefully we'll give them a good challenge and look for our way of continuing.

On the other hand, couldn't be more pissed off about Arsenal's draw. Why on earth do we always get the toughest team in the competition?

In the UEFA Europa League draw, Trabzonspor, the Turkish team in the competition, showed the epitome of being unlucky. They topped their group ahead of Lazio, giving themselves a chance to draw the teams that they can beat with ease. Instead, they get perhaps the strongest team in the competition: Juventus.

Back