Official Football Thread

Well thanks..... I'd forgotten that game. Or at least managed to get over the pain and humiliation because European football seems so long ago now.

Neither of the clubs that played in that match exist any more anyway.
Don't start that pap, BW! It's basically the same football club. Yes, technically, Rangers Football Club 1872 is dead; but The Rangers Football Club 2012 is the same club, playing at the same stadium, with the same fans (& with all the same old figures floating around) --& everyone & their granny talks about Rangers climbing back up the leagues i.e. returning to where they were. I'm sure you, too, talk about Rangers in this manner. It's unavoidable --& is an acknowledgment that one regards these two entities as essentially the same club.

Last edited:
Neither of the clubs that played in that match exist any more anyway.
Btw BW, have you read how UEFA have dealt with "newco" Derry City? UEFA & FIFA both officially recognise Old Rangers as dead; that all came out last year. No surprise. Derry City pretty much went through the exact same liquidation process that Rangers went through. But when they got back into Europe, not only did UEFA talk about old & new without qualification (i.e. they talked about them in the same breath, in all their literature, as if they were the same club) --they also used the old club's European form to calculate the co-efficient of the new club. Different clubs? Honestly, it's pretty murky. Nobody is forgetting the history.

Don't start that pap, BW! It's basically the same football club. Yes, technically, Rangers Football Club 1872 is dead; but The Rangers Football Club 2012 is the same club, playing at the same stadium, with the same fans (& with all the same old figures floating around) --& everyone & their granny talks about Rangers climbing back up the leagues i.e. returning to where they were. I'm sure you, too, talk about Rangers in this manner. It's unavoidable --& is an acknowledgment that one regards these two entities as essentially the same club.
The original company was liquidated and therefore ceased to exist, so The Rangers Football Club is a new company and by extension a new club. I know that the SFL allowed the new club to take over the dead club's license but in the eyes of the law The Rangers Football club is a new company and a new club. Whatever history the original club had won't be forgotten but the facts are that the new club has never won the league title and has never played in Europe.

Hibernian are now looking for their tenth manager in sixteen years. ::)

Ricksen's. Yes, indeed it is. Also impressive how it was brought in the news. I saw the television show that had him as a guest to talk about his new book but suddenly he got emotional and revealed it.

Last edited:
That's a big, big blow for Chelsea. With Arsenal and Liverpool playing this evening Chelsea had a shot at top spot but if Arsenal win the gap between first and second could be five points. Now Southampton, Everton and Tottenham could go above Chelsea. :eek:

Really looking forward to Arsenal vs. Liverpool later on. Nil-nil draw then?

Back