Official Football Thread

We'll see in eight days I guess. :P

In Manchester United's three big Premier League games this season they've played for a point and only succeeded once. They were mauled by Manchester City in another one of those matches. Old Trafford hasn't exactly been a fortress this season either, note the performances against Southampton, West Brom and Stoke. Now van Persie and Rooney are better than Giroud, but I'd rather have Arsenal's midfield at the moment. From what I could hear from the radio commentary they dominated Liverpool in the midfield. I don't rate either team's defence. :P

In Manchester United's three big Premier League games this season they've played for a point and only succeeded once.

In that match against Chelsea I'd say United seemed more interested in the win than Chelsea did. Mourinho put a midfielder up top as his lone striker in a very tight 4-5-1 formation. I don't think it's fair to say United played for one point in that match. Against Liverpool, United had far more chances and should have got an equalizer, but poor finishing prevented that from happening. The City game was a disaster from start to finish, no excuses there.

What all these three had in common, though, was that they were played in a period where United also struggled to beat weaker sides than these. The match against Crystal Palace was poor (despite the win). The West Brom match even worse. But after West Brom, United have played better and better. The Arsenal game will be a proper test, though. If United can win this, the problems from August and September can safely be forgotten and Moyes can look forward in an optimistic way.

Back