Official Football Thread

iLNvhpXWHpffr.gif

Refreshing to see the team play focused once again. Great offensive pressure. Thanks, Roberto Mancini.

'kay, the following Youtube video actually argues it could well be that Vidal was fouled prior to that comedy situation yesterday:

Let's see. The video shows evidence that there was, in fact, slight contact between the two players. But since when did contact equal foul? The contact was not enough to

1. bring Vidal down,
  2. stop him from going past the defender, or
  3. make him lose control of the ball.
In fact, 2. didn't happen at all - he went past the defenders - and 1 and 3 he managed all by himself.

It wasn't a dive, Vidal didn't want to go down. It was a clumsy movement by himself, which caused him to trip and fall. He is still an idiot for that penalty appeal. But the referee had a howler equally bad himself - sending off Chiellini for the "elbow" on CRonaldo. Hardly a foul, never a red.

Triggered by what I just saw in the Europa League match between Swansea and Kuban Krasnodar:

A player who is tripped/impeded/fouled in a harmless way, but pretends it hurt like he had been punched in the face ... should actually be punched in the face. This time a Kuban player who was tripped by the Swansea keeper in injury time, winning a penalty. The only contact between them was keeper's arm against attacker's foot. Still, the idiot rolled around and made it look like he was seriously hurt.

The worst part is - this is the norm. You find such players in most clubs. In the Champions League. In your second-tier local club. In the fuckin' schoolyard! Fortunately, sometimes people do things like this as well, and remind us that football can be a beautiful game:

Moyes clearly doesn't how to pick a good squad. Here's my suggestion:
De Gea
Rafael - Vidić - Evans - Evra
Carrick - Fellaini
ValenciaJanuzaj - Kagawa - Rooney
Van Persie​
A month later. You can't go better than this. Though they really, really need a world class center back. Ferdinand is done, Vidić can't play every game, and I don't think Jones, Evans or Smalling are up for the task unless they play with Vidić.

Back