Official Football Thread

Night Prowler 'liked' my previous post. That's a bit rich coming from a guy who supports Manchester United and AC Milan and has abandoned his own country's league! :P

Nah, I just think that our league caused me enough heartbreak. I still support Red Star, I just don't care that much.
What do you mean by heartbreak? Finishing second four years running? :confused:

I'll never understand the lack of loyalty of most countries to their own national football league. If people in minority football countries watched more of their own domestic football then there'd be more sponsorship leading to more money and the chance of keeping some of the best home-grown talent for a while longer. Irish people are the worst for this. If anyone has a bigger chip on the shoulder about the English than the Scots then it's the Irish, yet they all love the English league and I've been told by an Irishman that people who don't support an English football team are laughed at. Apparently they all blame the Irish football associations for how crap their leagues are yet barely any of them watch their local teams play. The older generation mostly support Liverpool and the younger generations mostly support Manchester United (although that is about to change), with a sizeable amount still supporting Celtic as well. If people in Ireland actually watched their own teams then the quality of football would be a little bit better.

Apart from Partizan and Red Star, and 1-2 other clubs which are different every year, Serbian league is on the level of, say, League Two. So, yes, for me, Red Star not winning a title since 2007 is terrible. Also, I've had enough of losing against near-amateur teams.

Plus, it's terrible, boring, plodding football, and I have no patience for that. Why would I watch that when I could watch something better.

I totally agree with Wizard. Very few national leagues suck more than ours does but I can't imagine not supporting my team. Currently they are sixth, so you can imagine the quality of football but that's life...

Why would I watch that when I could watch something better.
Loyalty?

My team has won the Scottish league title once, and that was thirty years ago but I'd rather support them than a massive club hundreds or thousands of miles away that I have no connection to. Scottish football is crap, perhaps worse than the Serbian league (apart from Celtic) and only two clubs ever win the league (one for the next few years), but it's my country's league and I follow it because it means a hell of a lot more to me than who win the English Premier League or Spanish La Liga. I admit that I rarely watch Scottish football (I only watch live cup matches that the BBC sometime shows) and I won't pay the rip-off prices that clubs here charge for tickets but I still keep up to date with what's happening and listen to radio commentaries. Don't use the two-club dominance of the Serbian league as an excuse for not watching, because for the last twenty years English football has been dominated by one club (apart from the occasional cameo from other clubs) which is ironically one of the teams you favour over your local teams. Finishing second isn't a reason for giving up either. There must be thousands of people who support teams whose names I can't pronounce that would love to finish second for a change.

Ariana, which Bulgarian team do you support? I've only ever heard of Leviski and CSKA Sofia.

I support Levski. They are blue as well. ;)

Levski and CSKA had no opposition at all until a few years ago. Then, a Bulgarian millionaire with a shady business bought a team from a small town that played in our League 2. Forward four years and this team is the current champion for two years in a row and at present leads its group in the Europa League without a single point lost and victories against PSV, Dinamo Zagreb and Odesa.

What's your team, Wizard?

No matter how our league sucks, no matter how my team sucks, I'll support Galatasaray forever. We've had our fair shares of terrible displays. The team was around the relegation zone in the 10-11 season, finished only 8th. But we bounced back and became the champions two years in a row, made the quarter finals in UCL. They can be in the Third League and I'd watch their matches.

I support Levski. They are blue as well. ;)

Levski and CSKA had no opposition at all until a few years ago. Then, a Bulgarian millionaire with a shady business bought a team from a small town that played in our League 2. Forward four years and this team is the current champion for two years in a row and at present leads its group in the Europa League without a single point lost and victories against PSV, Dinamo Zagreb and Odesa.

What's your team, Wizard?
That team sounds a bitlike Hoffenheim who were a small team until a few years ago. Then there's been Anzhi in Russia and Unirea Urziceni (@CriedWhenBrucieLeft ) in Romania. Apparently the Romanian league benefited a lot from getting foreign referees because of the corruption in Romanian football.

My team is Dundee United. The only team to have a 100% record against Barcelona in competitive matches. :D

I respect your opinion.
I'm sure that's Serbian for something completely different. :P

Then, a Bulgarian millionaire with a shady business bought a team from a small town that played in our League 2. Forward four years and this team is the current champion for two years in a row and at present leads its group in the Europa League without a single point lost and victories against PSV, Dinamo Zagreb and Odesa.

I was thinking about asking what was going on with Ludogorets to you two days ago.

Back