Official Football Thread

really flash? We lose to Dortmund but it's not the end of the world. We played good against a top 10 team in all of Europe. You knee jerk to much. If we lose to Marseille then by all means panic.

Random question@Flash but why have a lot of Turkish people chosen Germany as the country to move to? I know this isn't a new thing I just never bothered to ask why Germany over the other European countries?

There was a bilateral treaty between Turkey and Germany in the 1960s for labour employment. Germany was looking for cheap labour force in all of Europe, and Turkish workers were among those who went to Germany and stayed, unlike e.g. Italians, Greeks or Yugoslavs, many of whom later returned to their home countries. Hence there is a strong Turkish presence in Germany.

really flash? We lose to Dortmund but it's not the end of the world. We played good against a top 10 team in all of Europe. You knee jerk to much. If we lose to Marseille then by all means panic.

You're overreacting if you think that I'm overreacting. I was pissed about the game because we played well and didn't deserve to lose. It's not like I said "Our team sucks" "We played horribly" or something. I'm pleased with the team is playing.

The match was six years ago, yes, and only one of Celtic match day squad from that victory is still there (Scott Brown), but at a glance I would say that Celtic squad is stronger than it was in 2007. AC Milan also have only one player remaining from that match, Kaka, and he is a shadow of the player he was back then. At the time, AC Milan were the European Champions and were overturned by a mediocre team at best. AC Milan are a poorer team than they have been in recent years and Celtic's home form in Europe is as good as any other team in recent years. My point stands that it's not completely unlikely for Celtic to beat Milan at Celtic Park. Milan have better players and will rightly be favourites of course, but much, much stranger things have happened.

If I recall correctly Celtic have one of the best home records in the Champions League group stage, period. They've not played anywhere near the amount of games the biggest clubs have (since they haven't always qualified), but their record is still immense. They've been in the group stage eight times & have played 23 home games; with the Milan game, forthcoming, to be their 24th. They've won 16 times & only lost at home twice, I think: to Barcelona (1-3) in 2004; & Barcelona (0-1) in 2013.

2001-2: They won all three home games; beat Juventus, Porto, & Rosenborg. W-W-W
2003-4
: Drew 0-0 with Bayern Munich; beat Lyon & Anderlecht. D-W-W
2004-5
: Beaten by Barcelona; drew with Milan; beat Shakhtar. L-D-W
2006-7
: Won all three home games; beat Man. U, Copenhagen, & Benfica. W-W-W
2007-8
: Won all three home games; beat Shakhtar, Milan, & Benfica. W-W-W
2008-9
: Drew with Aalborg & Man. U; beat Villarreal. D-W-D
2012-13
: Drew with Benfica; beat Spartak M. & Barcelona. D-W-W
2013-14
: Beaten by Barcelona; beat Ajax; still to play Milan. L-W-?

Seriously, bar some of the biggest teams in Europe (who you'd expect to have a better record anyway), Celtic have one of the best home records of any team in the history of the competition. I remember seeing a table a few years back, & I think only a couple of teams had a better record.

As long as you accept the basic point: Celtic's home record, in the group stages, is incredible. Milan have visited three times in last decade (that doesn't include the match forthcoming) & have never won; in fact they've only scored in Glasgow once, & that was in the match they lost in 2007. But, as you say, that was all a few years ago now...

Last edited:
Well, of course I accept the facts :P I just don't think they're gonna win the match :P

In other news, Ibra's on fire tonight:
im1NpZg.gif

Holy crap :eek:

Back