Official Football Thread

:)

Legendary evening:
8-1! Some attacks were stunning.

Van Persie scored again and now he is the sole all-time top scorer of "Oranje"!

Topscorers Oranje: goals (matches)
1. Robin van Persie 41 (80)
2. Patrick Kluivert 40 (79)
3. Dennis Bergkamp 37 (79)
4. Faas Wilkes 35 (38)
Ruud van Nistelrooij 35 (70)
6. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar 34 (59)
7. Abe Lenstra 33 (47)
Johan Cruijff 33 (48)
9. Beb Bakhuys 28 (23)
10. Kick Smit 26 (29)

:)

Indeed. Johannes Chrishostomos "Kick" Smit. Technically gifted player who made name in the 1930s en 1940s (probably the best we had in that era and he would have had a way higher score if it weren't for WWII).

kick_smit5.jpg

Last edited:
We're qualified for ages but don't sit back and do nothing.

I've figured out why Netherlands were at the top of their game. The first seven teams of the FIFA World Ranking and the hosts are seeded as the first pot teams in World Cup. Netherlands are currently 9th. Brazil are 8th and since they're the hosts, Netherlands have to get past the 7th seeded team, Uruguay, in order to find itself a place in the first pot. Uruguay have 1126 points and Netherlands have 1058 points. They're likely to be full on attack against us as well, they want to score as many goals as possible to gain points.

The commentator of the match said that the Netherlands was the first country to have reached 75 victories in World Cup qualification matches.
Well, I rather have a less good qualification and a better tournament.

I wouldn't say every two years, since we reached the final in the last World Cup (2010) and did well in the majority of the other tournaments, but I get what you're saying, when looking at the 2011-2012 cycle. We can't predict what will happen in 2014, but I hope we didn't peak too soon. This time we have more changes in the team (more youth), and less struggle/camps between players, so I hope this is decisive.

And I hope we won't meet Belgium too soon. These guys are going to kick ass.

Belgium look well, maybe this World Cup is too early for em but itl help develop their younger players. Euros will be their tournament when the young players have experience and talent has been developed even further. The only problem i have with the Dutch team is what happens when Van Persie gets injured, Kuyt in my opinion is past it, Huntelaar didnt get in the recent squad and ive not really seen much of the young lad they brought in Depay. Theyve improved defensively though some of the young players at the back will do well.

The way Fifa do rankings is ridiculous do Uraguay deserve to be in the top seeds when they have to go through playoffs? Are Colombia really the 5th best team in the world? Are Greece actually better than England or Russia? They always make me laugh when theyre released as a team like USA can be higher than England purely because they win, even though theyre just facing teams like Jamaica, Honduras, Panama and the rest.

It's not really about how good you are though, it's based on winning games. I agree, it's twaddle; but what, to take England as an example, have England actually achieved at major championships in the last 10-20 years? Nothing. I always wonder why some teams are ranked so high, but I suppose they have to be in some sort of order...

Playing Netherlands today to get a chance to play in the Playoffs. Not keeping my hopes high but hopefully we'll make it.

At least Holland have nothing to play for, so they might drop their top players and whoever plays might not try as hard. That's always Scotland's idea: play the group's top seed at home in the final game in the hope that they won't care about the game. It doesn't work because we suck though. Mind you, we did perform well against Italy and Holland in the final match of recent campaigns.

Looking back on how this group went, we really should have something to play for tonight.

0-0 at home to a sterile Serbia. Should have won that match.
1-1 at home to Macedonia. Shouldn't be dropping points at home to Macedonia, although they were good that night.
1-2 defeat away to Wales. Conceded two late goals, one of which was a penalty that Garth Bale dived to win.
1-2 defeat at home to Wales. Played like crap but took the lead at the end of the first half, then conceded late on again. Snodgrass got himself needlessly sent off to give away a penalty for the equalizer.

Scotland could have had up to ten points more in the campaign. Perhaps if Craig Levein had been sacked after the second match at home to Macedonia things might have been different. Although in hindsight it's easy to say these kind of things.

At least Holland have nothing to play for, so they might drop their top players and whoever plays might not try as hard.
I think there's something to play for. As Flash said: seeded team (group head in their pool) in the World Cup. But it's not possible if Switzerland will win their game.

As I explained, they have something to play for, therefore key players like Van Persie and Robben are on the pitch. And we're already down 1-0. :D

Back