Official Football Thread

Well it's Scandanavian football, and you are our resident expert!

This happens everywhere. The number of matches that Manchester United play at 3pm on a Saturday is ridiculously low and the distances that some fans have to travel for lunchtime kick-offs on Saturdays is absurd. Sunderland to Arsenal for 12:30? Madness. The TV scheduling in Scotland is pretty bad as well, but the clubs get more money from TV stations than they do from their own fans so most people would rather sit in a warm pub with a burger and a pint than sit in a half-empty football stadium on a Monday evening in November with an overpriced and unsatisfactory pie. Nobody goes to the matches yet it still costs more to watch Dundee United than Bayern Munich!

It's equally frustrating for match-going Manchester United fans, of course, but for the top clubs it is inevitable these days.

How many will sit down on a Monday at 19:00 to watch second tier Norwegian league football? In fact, the reason this division has Monday games is that the top flight clubs and their fans campaigned to get rid of them. Ironically, during this campaign Fredrikstad were also in the top flight ... so our most vocal fans would protest the Monday games, succeed in their campaign, only to find that the Monday games followed us one division down.

And the prices are laughable in Norway as well. Your comparison with Bayern München points to the fact the Germans are doing something right, which both Norway and the British leagues could learn from. You know something has changed when English football fans travel as tourists to Germany to experience the atmosphere ...

I don't have any sympathy for Manchester United fans. They've had twenty years of winning everything under the sun so they can put up with Southampton at lunchtime on Saturday. A lot of their fans travel to Manchester for home games so lunchtime in Southampton is perfect for a lot of Manchester United fans. :D

I had a German lecturer last year who said that when he attended football matches in England there was something missing when he compared it to his experiences in Germany. Wembley looked amazing in May when the Germans took over and Bayern's and Dortmund's home matches look incredible. Arsenal's home games don't have such a good reputation, perhaps due to the ridiculous prices or the padded seats or the fact they don't achieve anything. :D I know a Wolves season ticket holder who says that there will be more of an atmosphere at Gillingham when he travels there this season than there was at Wolves' last trip to the Emirates. Fucking Gillingham...

I don't have any sympathy for Manchester United fans. They've had twenty years of winning everything under the sun so they can put up with Southampton at lunchtime on Saturday.

Well, it's not only United, you know. How often do Arsenal play 3PM on a Saturday? Or Liverpool? Over the first six PL weekends, the average number of games played Saturday, 3PM is five. That is only half of the games. And the EPL's decision that only one of the 3PM matches may be televised live, will only serve to make it worse.

I didn't see the penalty - when Ajax scored I turned off the stream. I want Allegri out, I've had enough of his idiotic favouring of some players, his defensive attitude and terrible substitutions. I haven't seen anyone use 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1 except Milan.

Juventus 2-2 Galatasaray. Calling it a nailbiter wouldn't do it justice. What a game and what a legend Didier Drogba is.

I think I'll root for Arsenal this season more than for MU (for the record, those two are my fav PL clubs). Moyes' stupid tactics annoy the shit out of me.

Lukaku - 3 games for Everton - 4 goals, 1 assist.
cristiano-ronaldo-415-jose-mourinho-crying-after-winning-against-barcelona.jpg

He's eligible to play for Serbia, Night Prowler. The FA apparently want him to play for England, despite him being completely ineligible. The radio commentators were saying earlier that he wants to play for Albania, which could turn out to be the same sort of situations as Gareth Bale playing for Wales and George Best playing for Northern Ireland.

He's eligible to play for Serbia, Night Prowler.
Not gonna happen, his parents are from Kosovo. It's gonna be either Albania or England, he refused all callups from Belgium.
He's eligible for England in 2015 if he continues playing there until then.

Not gonna happen, his parents are from Kosovo. It's gonna be either Albania or England, he refused all callups from Belgium.
He's eligible for England in 2015 if he continues playing there until then.
If he did play for Belgium then that squad would be even more incredible.

There's absolutely no way he can play for England, even if he becomes a British citizen. There's an agreement between the four associations of the UK and FIFA that allows a player with no blood ties to any of the four nations to become eligible for that country if he has lived there for five years and has gained an educational qualification in that country.

I hope he plays for Belgium. I've been following the development of that country's football for years and I've become a fan. They already have a fantastic squad, for today and for future.

He's also eligible for Turkey through his grandparents but I already know it's not gonna happen.

P.S. : Edited out a part which was written under influence of misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Just imagine if Mesut Ozil had decided to play for Turkey instead of Germany.

I know what would happen: Turkey still wouldn't be able to go to the World Cup, Mesut Özil wouldn't blow up like he did.

Galatasaray has only two wins in seven games in the league, lost its first game today. Wesley Sneijder is done, can't play well to save his life. One of the top goalscorers of last year's Champions League campaign, Burak Yılmaz, sucks. Things do not look bright.

Back