Official Football Thread

Lukaku - 2 games for Everton, 2 goals. And the second game only just started.
Torres, Eto'o, Ba - 0 goals this season so far :)

711.jpg

Every club has a player or two who will do some play-acting when given the chance. But Barcelona seem to have a fucking school of it. Neymar's reaction to that little kick from Brown was cringeworthy. He made it seem like he had received an electric shock to his back. Very understandable that the entire stadium is booing him loudly each time the ball is anywhere near him now ... Busquets has taught him well.

That was one of the most scandalous sendings off I've ever seen. Celtic still nearly took the lead shortly before Fabregas scored through. The result in Amsterdam keeps Celtic's hopes of finishing third alive though so all is not lost. Scotland needs them to get as far in the UEFA Cup as possible so that they have a few crap Sunday performances in the league.

In fact, the red card wasn't any harsher than you should expect from referees in the Champions League. Brown threw a kick after Neymar. It wasn't a brutal kick, it didn't hit him badly, and Neymar made a meal of it. Still, an attempted kick can still be punishable with a red card according to the rules - and UCL referees are stricter than British referees when interpreting this particular rule.

My personal opinion is that things like that shouldn't be more than a yellow (it's more unsportsmanlike conduct than violent conduct), but the players should know what to expect from the referee.

That being said, Neymar's reaction was disgraceful and I can't help wishing that Brown had actually kicked him hard.

Ballotelli's penalty was also quite controversial.

I didn't see it yesterday, but I looked up a video of it now. I would say it was plain wrong. I'd say Balotelli was the worse offender in that situation. If anything, it should have been a free kick to Ajax. They have every right to feel wronged.

Balotelli won a controversial free-kick against Celtic a fortnight ago as well. Tut tut.

I do think that Brown could have made an effort to avoid Neymar or at least make a show of it after conceding the foul because everyone knows that there are a group of players at Barcelona, particularly Busquets, Alves and Neymar, that will make the most of a tiny bit on contact. However, it doesn't change how crappy the red card was.

Did you hear about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24358009, @Dr. Eddies Wingman

I didn't see it yesterday, but I looked up a video of it now. I would say it was plain wrong. I'd say Balotelli was the worse offender in that situation. If anything, it should have been a free kick to Ajax. They have every right to feel wronged.
Yes, I expressed myself carefully, knowing that Night Prowler is a Milan fan. :)
I agree with coach Frank de Boer who said that Balotelli did some kind of a Judo move. He pulled the Ajax guy down. The 1-1 represents the stength of both teams, and Milan could have had a penalty in another situation, but in this case it was a wrong decision, so it's bitter.

No, didn't hear about that. Second tier in Swedien isn't what I'm paying most attention to :p That being said, a TV station moving a match for that reason appears rather silly. If the team had asked for the match to be moved - for the same reason - the Swedish FA would probably have said no. But when it's a TV station?

Allright, the clubs get money for TV rights. But the TV stations don't seem to care for matchgoing fans. The Norwegian club I'm following, Fredrikstad FK, have had 9 out of 15 home games this season played on Mondays! The result is that in every match, a significant amount of season ticket holders can't go, and the atmosphere within the stadium is crap as a result of this.

No, didn't hear about that. Second tier in Sweden isn't what I'm paying most attention to
Well it's Scandanavian football, and you are our resident expert!

Allright, the clubs get money for TV rights. But the TV stations don't seem to care for matchgoing fans. The Norwegian club I'm following, Fredrikstad FK, have had 9 out of 15 home games this season played on Mondays! The result is that in every match, a significant amount of season ticket holders can't go, and the atmosphere within the stadium is crap as a result of this.
This happens everywhere. The number of matches that Manchester United play at 3pm on a Saturday is ridiculously low and the distances that some fans have to travel for lunchtime kick-offs on Saturdays is absurd. Sunderland to Arsenal for 12:30? Madness. The TV scheduling in Scotland is pretty bad as well, but the clubs get more money from TV stations than they do from their own fans so most people would rather sit in a warm pub with a burger and a pint than sit in a half-empty football stadium on a Monday evening in November with an overpriced and unsatisfactory pie. Nobody goes to the matches yet it still costs more to watch Dundee United than Bayern Munich!

Back