Official Football Thread

Any neo-Nazi tendencies among the West Ham faithful would have been drowned out completely today. Cracking atmosphere at the Boleyn Ground as Chelsea were defeated 3-1. Poor Benitez - he has not received a warm welcome, and this defeat will not make it easier for him. Abramovich may really have screwed up this time. Firing a popular manager, hiring one the fans did not want, and all that at a time where Chelsea were third in the league - four points off the top.

But if he wants to ruin his toy club, be my guest. I thoroughly enjoyed that 2nd half :D

http://www.hasrafabenitezbeensacked.com/

OMFG I'm dying here

A8ppFm9CEAITyqc.jpg

A9DAfOSCYAA-O4k.jpg

https://twitter.com/MarioBaloltelli/status/274950458991337472
https://twitter.com/BBCSporf/status/274888721025880064

By the way, did you see the post-match with Mancini after City's 1-1 draw with Everton? He said "when they are playing us, it's like their Champions League final ..."

Well, Mr. Mancini, here is something for you.

• Everton have won the league three times as many as your club
  • Have you ever managed a team in a Champions League final yourself?
  • Have Man City ever played in said final?
  • When did Man City last play outside the top division? 2001-2002. When did Everton last play outside the top division? 1953-54.
I hope it is an attempt at mind games, because if he's serious, he must also be an idiot. Also I should mention that it is less than one year since Everton last beat City.

Congratulations. Of the three teams in United's group, Galatasaray was the team I hoped would follow United to the next round.

Speaking of. United fielded a rather weak team against Cluj as well, obviously resting many for the derby on Sunday. The result? A very dull game, defeat due to a real screamer from 25 meters out, and yet another central midfielder injured. One of the few among those who started yesterday who was also gonna play on Sunday. Crap.

I hope United get a better group next year, so that there will be something to play for all the way to the end. But it has to be said; almost all groups were decided before this week. Only in three out of 8 groups was there any uncertainty as to who would go through (Chelsea/Juve, Galatasaray/Cluj and Celtic/Benfica).

:D

Both Chelsea and Citeh out at the group stage. But let us not be too cocky, as United went out last year from an easier group (Benfica and Basel are not of the same calibre as Shakhtar/Juve or Dortmund/RM). Still, last year is last year and this year is this year, and, as they say in Germany: Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

The most terrible thing is that there were many people around who did nothing when it happened.

Well, someone tried something, but he's cut of in this BBC report:

Some BBC articles (you might have read already):
- Death exposes ugly culture on pitch
"...We have to look at the whole culture, not just the top players but everyone, the parents, the clubs...”
"...This kind of thing happens all the time. Kids who are six see their parents screaming at the ref and questioning every decision, the lack of respect just starts early and it gets worse,"
"It's partly the culture, we Dutch people don't like being told what to do and can't accept when we are wrong, but maybe now this will make us think about the rules and how we can protect people...."

- Dutch linesman Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Fourth arrest

Indeed, it's become something in Dutch culture that people forget what respect means for some sort of authority.

Cruyff also reacted but I can't find his statement (in English). In short, he says it's vital that parents have a responsibility (often children copy parents' behaviour), and he hopes for some rules to forbid aggressive people at fields (the parents who aggressively encourage their kids to act violent).

QPR with their first win of the season. @National Acrobat: Congratulations! Do you think QPR will stay up? And will they spend big in January?

Otherwise, pleased with the MUFC performance the first 60 minutes against Sunderland. Full control until it was 3-0. It was also good to see Nemanja Vidic back. I really hope he can get back to somewhere near his top level.

I'd forgotten what it feels like to see a QPR win. I'm fairly hopeful they will stay up, but I hope they don't spend any money in January - we have enough good players. There's quite a few I'd like to get rid of though - if an offer came in for Bosingwa I'd offer to drive him there myself.

Back