Official Football Thread

Man United have all the Premiership referees in their pocket. It's obvious. That's why Gareth Barry is allowed to use his arms to hold the Reading defender down as he scores the only goal in a 1-0 win ...

You mean City.

Top two seems to be given but there's an amazing battle for the 3rd place. Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham and W.B.A. have 30 points each, Chelsea has 29.

Close winterstop-standings in Holland, and check the goal differences between PSV and FC Twente!:
(also note the 666 ;-)
1. PSV 18 13 1 4 40 60-18
2. FC Twente 18 12 4 2 40 35-14
3. Ajax 18 10 7 1 37 42-20
4. Feyenoord 18 11 4 3 37 37-23
5. Vitesse 18 10 5 3 35 34-18
6. FC Utrecht 18 8 6 4 30 24-19
7. NEC 18 6 6 6 24 24-30

Antonio Valencia’s horror tackle on Vernon Anita
1356541081997.gif
I am starting to understand the frustration Nush was talking about a while back. Not a red card and also not a yellow card, for fuck's sake. A disgrace. If Valancia would have had a card, he would have been sent off because he already had a booking.

I don't think that's a "horror tackle". Valencia goes straightly to the ball, misses it and slides to Vernon Anita's right leg. Valencia also doesn't touch Anita's right leg, it's only after the challenge is completed legs of both players touch each other.

I'd still show Valencia a yellow card and that'd mean a red card but no way that's a "horror tackle" or deserves a direct red card, it's not an intentional hard foul but a foul caused by a mistake. And it's coming from an Arsenal fan who absolutely hates United.

Though yes, both Manchester teams have the refs on their sides.

From the way his right ankle bends after the tackle, it doesn't look as if Valencia doesn't touch it.

Yes that bending moment, indeed.
edit: also watch Valencia's other leg, it comes in pretty bad as well, to say the least (even though it might have been less intentional).

I didn't see the match (I was watching Norwich - Chelsea), so I don't know how it would have affected the game if Valencia had been sent off but I know that United have far too frustrating (to me) record of coming back in matches and ending up with all three points.

Even if does touch it, that's not an intentional foul. (he doesn't change the direction of his foot, it's just a natural move of the foot, you can't just tackle straightly, it moves/shakes) And the second part of the tackle is just natural, Valencia goes to get the ball (which he does) even after he fouls the opponent.

It's a bad tackle, deserves a yellow card but not an intentional hard foul.

Sure Flash, it was a yellow card but it was not intentional.

It was a very late foul (4 minutes in injury time). After that, Newcastle had still 4 minutes to make an equalizer, with 10 men.

Vurnon Anita was carried off the field with a stretcher, and there was no replacement. Looks like he has a heavy ankle injury, and in worst case scenario he's gone for a few months.

That is not a proof that it was intentional, if you meant to bring it up as an argument. If you meant that it was a horrible mistake by the ref (which you did before) then I agree.

It's a matter of seeing, estimating, and interpretating. This ...:
it's just a natural move of the foot, you can't just tackle straightly, it moves/shakes)
... I find nonsense really. Look how much he shakes it. Plenty of tackles that go more straight than that.

And why would you still give a yellow card then?

"A bad tackle". The master of relativity has spoken. :)
When does one foul somebody intentionally? This was a two footed tackle.

edit:
For a good tackle one does not get a free kick against him.
For a bad tackle one does get a free kick against him but not necessarily a card.

Now, I am wondering when you would give a card.

Stop calling names already.

Giving a yellow card is a sign of warning as much as it is a punishment. If you commit an hard foul unintentionally you'll receive a yellow card. If you commit an hard foul intentionally you'll receive a red card. If it's a bad tackle/move and not such a hard foul (like holding the players shirt from the front), you'll receive nothing as punishment other than just a freekick. Want an example of fouling somebody intentionally ? Watch some Roy Keane, was master of those stuff back in the day.

And Valencia starts the tackle with one foot only, mind you. That doesn't count as a two-footed tackle.

Back