Official Football Thread

When seeing this - it's not really surprising that the ref thinks it's a dive. In fact, it is a dive (it is also a foul, though - and I think in some situations it is fair to punish both the defender and the attacker).

I'm not sure that this is the best example to prove my point, but I disagree slightly with you there. Torres dived and deserved a yellow card, so I don't think it was a foul. You often hear commentators/pundits (ex-pros!) saying "there was contact so he's entitles to go down", which really winds me up. Evans made contact, but didn't trip him or impede his run, so it's not a foul in my opinion.
Hopefully diving will start attracting more bookings. And hopefully soon it will lead to Suarez leaving the English game, cos he ain't welcome here.

So, the Reading/Arsenal & Chelsea/Man U league sup games: A positive for the attacking, or a negative for the defending?

The latter for both. Plus, I hope a positive for QPR who are playing Reading this Sunday.

I'm not sure that this is the best example to prove my point, but I disagree slightly with you there. Torres dived and deserved a yellow card, so I don't think it was a foul. You often hear commentators/pundits (ex-pros!) saying "there was contact so he's entitles to go down", which really winds me up. Evans made contact, but didn't trip him or impede his run, so it's not a foul in my opinion.
Hopefully diving will start attracting more bookings. And hopefully soon it will lead to Suarez leaving the English game, cos he ain't welcome here.

If I were to decide what's a foul or not, I'd agree with you. I don't think it should be considered a foul. When I said it is a foul, I meant by the standards that are practiced today. I don't agree with those standards.

It should only be considered a foul if the contact impedes the attacking player so mucht that he loses the ball. That was clearly not the case here, as Torres could have kept on running and would have kept the ball had he chosen to. The "contact without hitting the ball = foul" argument should be considered wrong.

By the way:

409322_3665517805278_1805404011_n.jpg

Is nowhere to be found on this thread ? That is so wrong...

1352928343984.gif

ibrahimovic_bicyclegoal_original.gif

Piece of mind, me thinks, i mean, piece of art.

We just beat Manchester United 1-0 in CL after winning 3-1 against Cluj.

By the way all of our goals are scored by our striker Burak Yılmaz so far, 5 goals in 5 matches.

It was wrong but yeah, still counts. And I do get it since Shakhtar battles with Juventus and Chelsea to qualify while Nordsjaelland is out already. Losing to them would crush Shakhtar and this goal was crucial in their comeback to win 5-2.

Not defending, just saying.

I expect the Wingman was not happy with this.

You are right, I am not happy with it, and had I been a Nordsjælland player I'd have chopped him down if I got the chance.

But I don't get why I should be more outraged than other football-interested members of the forum? I don't care particularly for Nordsjælland (or any other Danish club). But unfair play is unfair play and what Adriano did was disgraceful.

One thing is when a team chooses to play on when an opposition player is down. With all the theatrics we see today, I can understand that. But when a team have actually kicked the ball out of play in order for the player to receive attention, they should get it back in the next move. Always. There is no excuse for not doing so.

Maybe he thought Nordsjaelland was a Norwegian team ?

Maybe.

BTW, as a Man United fan let me congratulate you on the Galatasaray win yesterday. I won't lose much sleep over it as United are already through to the knock-out rounds, though :D If I lose sleep over football these days it's going to be due to my local Norwegian team (Fredrikstad FK)'s relegation to tier two. But due to economical troubles over the last few years, I could see it coming. My hopes for this season were that one or more of the teams promoted last season would be really crap - and they weren't quite crap enough.

It was wrong but yeah, still counts.
This also counts:

UEFA charges Shakhtar forward Adriano for unfair play in scoring Champions League goal
http://www.thespec.com/sports/artic...-unfair-play-in-scoring-champions-league-goal

"UEFA said it brought charges based on Article 5 of its disciplinary regulations. It includes clauses on conduct that is “insulting or otherwise violates the basic rules of decent,” and that “brings the sport of football, and UEFA in particular, into disrepute.”

As expected, no charges against Mark Clattenburg. It looks like the allegiations from Chelsea were nothing but knee-jerk. By going public with this the way they have, they have sidelined Clattenburg for weeks - for nothing. They owe him an apology. He has had his reputation dragged through the dirt for no other reason than that a player (Ramires) thought he heard a word that could be interpreted as racist. With two players who are native speakers of English standing closer to the situation without hearing it.

The FA are taking the easy way out when they say that they are "satisfied that the allegation against Mark Clattenburg by Ramires was made in good faith." They might punish Mikel for the way he behaved immediately after the match, though.

Back