Official Football Thread

Another permanent stain on his already filthy character.

Also presumably about to be sacked by Chelsea, due to their "zero tolerance towards racism".

chelsea-fan-e1264690351676-600x410.jpg

For the first time in a while, a good match by Norway. 1-1 against Switzerland away, in a spirited performance which we could just as well have won. Must say I'm pleased. Next up is Cyprus away. We really, really should win that. If we are to stand a chance at winning the group, we need to win the away games against such teams.

Meanwhile, Sweden barely squeezed by Faroe Islands, coming back from 0-1 to win 2-1. Matches like this should not be nailbiters. :S

Just like I've said before on this thread, the Turkish team at the moment could be the worst Turkish national team I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen some horrific displays from them.

Lost to Romania 1-0 at home with a display that is so horrific that I wouldn't want to watch again even if you paid me good money. About 3 gazillion crosses to the box and maybe only about one or two of them wasn't cleared by the Romanian defense.

I'm sure we'll stay with crossing the ball mentality against even fucking Andorra. :censored:

Yup, this certainly is the worst Turkish national team I've ever seen in my life.

After losing to Romania (1-0), we lost to Hungary with a 3-1 scoreline. They dominated the whole game. Netherlands have 12 pts, Romania and Hungary have 9 pts each, and we only have 3 pts. I don't even have feelings about this team anymore. The federation offered a huge bonus if the team were to beat Hungary today. It's Hungary we're talking about and it's national team. I'm glad our team failed to win, they don't deserve any respect, any bonus or whatever. They're soulless bastards.

By the way what a turnaround by Sweden today. They were down 0-4 against Germany, but came back to get a 4-4 draw. Congrats to them.

Hey The Flash, we're terrible too, so high five :D

No comment on our game vs. Macedonia, we have great players but we don't have a team.

I was on the plane from London to Oslo during the game between Cyprus and Norway, but I understand that we got a deserved 3 points. I'll take that. Next is Albania, twice. May I request six points, please?

We may very well be one of the unluckiest teams in the history of Champions League Group Stage.

Manchester United 1-0 Galatasaray

Possession : %52 - 48
Total Attempts : 18 - 13
Attempts Against Woodwork : 0 - 3

Galatasaray 0-2 Braga

Possession : %61 - 39
Total Attempts : 13 - 9
Attempts Against Woodwork : 1 - 0

Galatasaray 1-1 Cluj

Possession : % 59 - 41
Total Attempts : 23 - 4
Penalties Missed : 1-0

* The game was played on a horrific pitch, caused by heavy raining, which was incredibly bad for us since our style of play is based on passing and dribbling while Cluj's style is based on defending.

* Cluj's only attempt on target was the goal.

-----

Last two matches were total domination and against Manu we had three shots off the bar. And against Cluj, the goal we conceded was an own goal. We could have had at least 7 points by now, but we have 1 and we're at the bottom of the group.

Manu : 9
Cluj : 4
Braga : 3
G. Saray : 1

And Borussia Dortmund also beat Real Madrid in the same group. The group of death is really fun to watch, the 4th seeded team (Borussia) is the leader right now.

Man, I wish there was a button irl that resembles the "filter" button on Facebook, so that I don't have to read or hear about AC Milan till next year. What a fucking embarassment they are this season :mad: I can't even imagine how the team would perform this year, if it wasn't for El Shaarawy...

Currently watching Arsenal vs QPR. I guess Nush will come back from that match fuming, for two reasons.

• Mbia's stupidity in the situation where he got sent off. First he dives in an attempt to get a free kick, and while lying on the ground he kicks Vermaelen for no reason.
  • The fact that Arsenal's 1-0 goal was a clear offside. Arteta was on the goal line when the ball was headed towards him!

Frustrated, rather than fuming:

1) I'm used to having mental players getting sent off
2) I'm used to bad refereeing decisions

I didn't expect anything from that match, but it should have been a point after all that. QPR are still winless, but I think we'll be OK this season.

Didn't watch the Chelsea/Man U match, but by all accounts the ref had an interesting game.

Well, the worst call (the offside goal) wasn't his fault. The linesman must take the blame for that. Besides that he had three situations that will be heavily criticized from one set of fans or the other:
  • Letting Torres stay on the pitch after a "Bob de Jong"-like kick at Tom Cleverley in the first half. He gave a yellow, could easily have been a red.
  • Not giving United a penalty when a cross-in from Valencia hit David Luiz's arm. Admittedly, the range was short and the decision not to give it is understandable.
  • Eventually giving Torres his second yellow for diving, after he was actually fouled by Evans. However, the way Torres went down gave the referee reason to suspect him ... the ref was directly behind him and did perhaps not see the contact, and Torres could easily have continued his run. But the norm of today is to give a free kick in that kind of situations.
  • The 2-3 goal was, as mentioned, offside. However, that's not to be blamed on Clattenburg.
Of course, those who like the idea that Man Utd own the referees, will ignore the first two and definitely not give the ref the benefit of the doubt on the third. And as the most clear mistake lead directly to a goal, I will admit that United got lucky to win the match. But it couldn't happen to a nicer club :D

Until they use something like appeals, etc. we will always have these scenarios. Still, ref's do get stick for this and that.

When seeing this - it's not really surprising that the ref thinks it's a dive. In fact, it is a dive (it is also a foul, though - and I think in some situations it is fair to punish both the defender and the attacker).

i8FQqgBLCeBOW.gif

Amazing match in League Cup, Reading gets a 4-0 lead against Arsenal, Arsenal scores two and another two at the stoppage times to tie it at 4-4, the game goes to extra time, Arsenals get the lead with 5-4, Reading equalises at 116th minute, Arsenal then scores two goals again at the stoppage time to win it 7-5.

Wow.

So, the Reading/Arsenal & Chelsea/Man U league sup games: A positive for the attacking, or a negative for the defending?

Back