Official Football Thread

Olympique Lyonnais vs. APOEL (aka the worst team of the leaders) in the Champions League 2nd Round. No surprise there, ha ?  :innocent:

(If you don't know I'm talking about, take a look at Lyon's last group game versus Dinamo Zagreb)

Forostar said:
Which shows that City don't need to keep their current league form to win the title.  :D

It doesn't really show (as in prove) it, but of course your point is still valid.

I had hoped their defeat against Chelsea could be the start of a down for them, but alas. 1-0 against Arsenal lets them reclaim the top spot after some hours. Bah.

Re: Official Football Thread / Bizarre incident

Bizarre incident in tonight's Ajax-AZ cup match:

221211-az-anp-17402112.jpg

Play has been suspended in a Dutch football association (KNVB) cup match after a fan ran onto the pitch and attacked AZ’s goalkeeper Esteban with flying-kick. The goalie, who saw the reportedly 19 years old and drunk supporter at the last minute, reacted by kicking him twice.

Esteban Alvarado was shown a red card by referee Bas Nijhuis. AZ trainer Gertjan Verbeek was furious and walked off the field taking his team with him. The game has now been abandoned. The incident took place five minutes before half time when Ajax was 1-0 ahead.

Check these videos:
The kicking: first you'll see the supporter coming from behind trying some kind of karate kick, and the goalkeeper actually kicks him even better at the same time. Then you'll see the goalkeeper kicking the guy twice when he's on the ground.
After the kicking: you'll see the red card and AZ walking off the pitch (and LOTS of emotion!).

In a couple of days it will be decided if this match will be:
A. replayed
B. finished (from the 38th minute; standing was 1-0 for Ajax)
C. ended with the 1-0 score of that moment

To be continued!

Stupid decision to give red card to the goalkeeper. What was he supposed to do, let that moron beat him or what?

Night Prowler said:
Stupid decision to give red card to the goalkeeper. What was he supposed to do, let that moron beat him or what?
Well, judging by this:
Forostar said:
The kicking: first you'll see the supporter coming from behind trying some kind of karate kick, and the goalkeeper actually kicks him even better at the same time. Then you'll see the goalkeeper kicking the guy twice when he's on the ground.
I'm not so supportive of this 'keeper.

I guess the repeated kicks after the guy was down, can cause some trouble. Just kicking him to the ground in the first place was fully justified.

By the way, do anyone remember this scene from the match between Norway and Spain in 2003? I'd rather forget about the match itself (we lost 0-3 and it cost us a place in Euro 2004), but Frode Olsen's action towards this pitch intruder was priceless :D

I must say I'm really, really happy with how the 18th round of the Premier League turned out. Not only did United win convincingly, but all the other top teams (except Spurs) gave away points.

Now, I don't think the second half of the season will be easy: United have away matches against Man City, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea. The only top side United have played away so far is Liverpool (1-1 draw). City have already had several of these away (Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and of course United).

On the other hand: United have players who have been through exactly the same situation before - together. City have not. Several of their players have been in title run-ins elsewhere, but not together. It's going to be interesting to see how (or if) Mancini will manage to keep a positive spirit all the way through.

Re: Official Football Thread / Bizarre incident
Bizarre incident in tonight's Ajax-AZ cup match:

In a couple of days it will be decided if this match will be:
A. replayed
B. finished (from the 38th minute; standing was 1-0 for Ajax)
C. ended with the 1-0 score of that moment

To be continued!

It will be replayed, without an audience.

Wingman; I think I remember that action you posted. Pretty good though he could have injured the person. ;)

I'm looking to start watching football and I know the basics about it I am a life long NFL fan so I am coming in from an american football fan perspective.. I like the passionate following that football (soccer) fans have and it reminds me of the metal tribal mentality that I love so much...where can I find the most exciting games? what leagues and teams? Thanks in advance! Up The Irons!

The Premier League in England is the most popular club competition.
Personally, I find European and World Championships for countries the most exciting sport events I can imagine. The 2012 UEFA European Football Championship, commonly referred to as Euro 2012, will be hosted by Poland and Ukraine between 8 June and 1 July 2012. The tournament features sixteen nations, the last European Championship to do so (from Euro 2016 onward, there will be 24 finalists).

These are the 16 nations taking part:

Poland
Greece
Russia
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Denmark
Germany
Portugal
Spain
Italy
Republic of Ireland
Croatia
Ukraine
Sweden
France England

The Premier League in England is the most popular club competition.
Personally, I find European and World Championships for countries the most exciting sport events I can imagine. The 2012 UEFA European Football Championship, commonly referred to as Euro 2012, will be hosted by Poland and Ukraine between 8 June and 1 July 2012. The tournament features sixteen nations, the last European Championship to do so (from Euro 2016 onward, there will be 24 finalists).

These are the 16 nations taking part:

Poland
Greece
Russia
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Denmark
Germany
Portugal
Spain
Italy
Republic of Ireland
Croatia
Ukraine
Sweden
France England

Thanks so much for the reply Foro... good info! But is there anything to watch until then? and can you recommend a crash course for someone who really doesnt know all the rules? thanks in advance! UTI! And as for supporting Dundee I can only guess its some kind of joke? but I don't know enough to know for sure...!

I suggest supporting AC Milan (Italy), Manchester United or Arsenal (England) and Barcelona (Spain). Avoid supporting shitty clubs like Juventus, Roma or Inter (Italy), Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester City (England) and Real Madrid (Spain) :D

I know you can't use your hands (except the goal keeper) that's it..;) . I don't understand if some guys can be in a certain position on the field or if only certain guys can be in certain places...?

A guy can "be" anywhere he likes but from a tactical point of view that wouldn't be smart. Therefore the squad (11 people) is roughly divided into:

1 goalkeeper
defenders
midfielders
attackers

I know you can't use your hands (except the goal keeper) that's it..;) .

Correct. But the goalkeeper can only use his hands in the penalty box area:
Field_Diagram.gif

Well, there are tons of rules, most of them are here on this wiki site, but I'd be glad to explain you some more if you like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football
You can always ask questions here!

And as for supporting Dundee I can only guess its some kind of joke? but I don't know enough to know for sure...!
Dundee United are the only team to have played and never to have been beaten by Barcelona in a competitive match. And always remember the United! Without that they are a totally different club!

I'm looking to start watching football and I know the basics about it I am a life long NFL fan so I am coming in from an american football fan perspective.. I like the passionate following that football (soccer) fans have and it reminds me of the metal tribal mentality that I love so much...where can I find the most exciting games? what leagues and teams? Thanks in advance! Up The Irons!

Support Galatasaray from Turkey :p

Black Wizard your avatar looks like a sand worm from Dune..but then again it could be a pair of boots....! Any way I have been watching highlights of Fox Sports Soccer today and I will pick the team whose name /mascot suit my fancy that day and root for them..until I understand it better....;) . the most exciting plays have been from Arsenal and AC Milan I think...by the way how come no one was a West Ham fan?

Back