Official Football Thread

If the police and the military can't hold the situation inside a football stadium... anything it's possible.

I disagree. I rather think Suarez and Evra should grow up.

By the way, incredible that Suarez didn't get booked for the way he boomed the ball into the stands the moment the whistle went for half time. That was the thing that sparked the half-time bust-up between the teams.

However, as a United fan I'm pleased with the win - and with the team performance which was overall really good. The first 20 minutes after half-time was among the better spells of the season.

I disagree. I rather think Suarez and Evra should grow up.
Agreed. But I think both Suarez and Liverpool really should start to move on from this. And Daglish has just got to stop painting Suarez as a complete saint and the media as the evil one. It's like the whole club feel they have nothing to move on from as Suarez did nothing wrong.

True. It seems like they forget that Suarez did actually admit that he used "negro", and the FA obviously thought he said it to wind up Evra. Unless we actually want that kind of language back in English football, it is right to punish that. But 8 games is strict, so I understand why they feel they have been hard done by.

However, the club have handled the entire thing in a completely amateurish way. I have lost a bit respect for Dalglish after this. (I never had any for Suarez, I think he is a cunt and I thought so before the incident with Evra)

What do you think of this ?

Be vigilant – pickpockets and bag snatchers operate in tourist areas, on public transport and around the stadium, so keep an eye on your belongings at all times.

Travel "advice" of Manchester City's official website. In my opinion, this is a typical xenophobic remark. Any English stadium has the exact same problem. Shame on you...

I read it as an admittance that Mansour Al-City recognize that they, too, have more than a few tourists inside their ground on matchday :) Something which their fans are very keen on saying about United.

ibicUo6e9nMMN2.gif

It took me a few minutes to get the headbanger - I initially thought it was Terry Butcher...but it's Hodgson.

Very clever. :D

:( Former Fredrikstad FK head coach Knut Torbjørn Eggen is dead, 51 years old. Allegedly suicide.

I was already in a bad mood over the economic situation in the club, with sales of good players and an uncertain future, but that pales in comparison. Eggen was head coach from 2002 to 2006 and was responsible for leading the club back to the top tier for the first time since the 80s, culminating in the cup victory in 2006, before he fell out with the club administration and quit the job. As far as I know him, he was a very sympathic man - I would say Norwegian football has lost one of our finest.

Rest in peace.

Napoli looked pretty sharp (at least attacking-wise) against a ragged Chelsea defense and practically non-existent forwards. One of the more fun matches I've seen in a while, end-to-end, wide open. Here's to Napoli scoring an away goal at the Bridge and securing their spot in the next round (it looks pretty secure already).

Secure? No way. I hope they go through, because I wish nothing but failure for Abramovich's Chelsea, but a 2-0 win for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge is not unrealistic.

It's really remarkable how badly the Premier League teams are doing this season, considering how well they have done the last few seasons (two or three teams in the quarter-finals many years in a row, and a finalist every year since 2005 except the 2010 final).

I'm rather enjoying it. I'm surrounded by people who go on and on about how outstanding the Premier League is compared to everything else.

I am ambivalent. I support one of those teams that are out, but I don't care about which league is better. I'd like to see Man United succeed, I don't want Chelsea to. Chelsea before Roman, perhaps. They were a quite likable club. They were in fact in the quarter-final once before Roman as well (the season where Leeds were in the semis).

And those people who go on and on about how great the Premier League is, need to grow up.

Back