Official Football Thread

The Flash said:
He'll continue being one of the first names that come to my mind when someone says Newcastle United.
I mostly remember him from his time at Leeds. Wining the league with them (Leeds were the last ever "First Division" champions) was possibly his greatest achievement as a player.

It appears to have been ruled a suicide officially. Not that I follow footy that much, but it seems like this was a man entering a new phase in a classic career. He must have had some vicious personal demons.

I'll be rooting for Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, so that I can see something like this:
ronaldo-crying1.jpg

:D

Group C. Spain, Croatia, Ireland and Italy. Prediction :

Spain 7 points (win against Ireland and Italy, draw against Croatia)
Croatia 5 points (win against Ireland, draw Italy and Spain)
Italy 2 points (draw Ireland, Croatia)
Ireland 1 point (draw Italy)

My predictions :

Group A : 1. Russia 2. Czech Republic 3. Greece 4. Poland
Group B : 1. Germany 2. Netherlands 3. Portugal 4. Denmark
Group C : 1. Spain 2. Italy 3. Croatia 4. Ireland
Group D : 1. England 2. France 3. Ukraine 4. Sweden

These predictions are based on current situations (injuries, forms etc.) of the teams.

The Flash said:
These predictions are based on current situations (injuries, forms etc.) of the teams.
I'll go wit that lot - but I do like to see the hosts get through to at least that last 8. So I'll go with Ukraine over France (Poland's group will be a bit too tough for them).

I think France will win that group. Ukraine aren't as good as the team that qualified for the 2006 World Cup but they could do well at home. In qualifying for the 2010 World Cup they beat England and played really well, although Rio Ferdinand had a hand in that. I think some of the travelling support were singing "That's Rio, and he should be in the stands".

Night Prowler said:
I'll be rooting for Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, so that I can see something like this:
ronaldo-crying1.jpg

:D

Ditto. And I don't even care for the Netherlands football team.

I almost want to pin Germany as winners of this competition already. Spain hasn't been in their best form, and nobody else has impressed me. Sweden will be lucky to make it to the next stage.

Natalie said:
Ditto. And I don't even care for the Netherlands football team.

I almost want to pin Germany as winners of this competition already. Spain hasn't been in their best form, and nobody else has impressed me. Sweden will be lucky to make it to the next stage.

What is this? Speaking of underestimating...

Yes, Holland got their ass kicked a few weeks ago by Germany in a friendly match.
Yes, Germany is the strongest team of the moment.
Yes, Holland lost their last qualification match from Sweden.
Yes, Holland was not the most impressive side this Autumn.

But I wouldn't pinpoint my ideas too much on this couple of matches only. Take that practice match. Germany deservedly won and was much stronger. Still, we missed two important players.

So beware: Holland on Euro2012 will be a different team than the one of this Autumn. Different spirit, different mindset. More like in the last couple of tournaments and near perfect qualification cycles.

The good thing about this group of death is that afterwards, we won't meet any of these countries before a possible final. Spain we could meet earlier though.

The real downside is that Holland plays far away in Ukraine, so that will ask a lot from the supporters.

Albie said:
I'll go wit that lot - but I do like to see the hosts get through to at least that last 8. So I'll go with Ukraine over France (Poland's group will be a bit too tough for them).

Not sure Albie. Ukraine's group looks tougher to me. By the way:
Cool there is an Eastern European group. Poland-Russia! What a match that will be!

No, no, I concede that Holland are a difficult team to beat. I just don't like their style of play is what I meant. :)

Forostar said:
Not sure Albie. Ukraine's group looks tougher to me.
I guess it's more a case of hoping one of the home side progresses to keep local interest in the tournament. The last Euro's had the two hosts go in the first round and I don't really want to see that happen again. Not that either side deserves it mind, but if they get there on merit then all the better.

Ajax              0 Real Madrid       3
Ajax scored two clear non/offside goals but in both cases off side was given by a nutty linesman.

Worse is the following.

Dinamo Zagreb  1 Olympique Lyon    7

1. Real Madrid          6-18  (19- 2)
2. Olympique Lyon     6- 8  ( 9- 7)
3. Ajax                    6- 8  ( 6- 6)
4. Dinamo Zagreb      6- 0  ( 3-22)

Dinamo ZaGRAB your fucking French money, corrupt shit club.   :down:

That particular score and statistic, bring huge amounts of happiness and joy to me!  :yey:

Dinamo ZaGRAB your fucking French money, corrupt shit club.

My hate for that particular club is perfectly understandable, but what's that all about?

P.S. aah. You think that match between Dinamo and Lyon was sold in favour of Ajax? Now if I wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that Leko, an experienced player in Euro competitions, did a schoolbook example of getting two yellow cards. And pretty fast, too.

Zare said:
P.S. aah. You think that match between Dinamo and Lyon was sold in favour of Ajax?

In favour of Lyon. Have you seen the goals? And this wink of the eye after the 5-1 by Gomis?

media_xl_1038555.jpg

This stinks tremendously.

Back