Official Football Thread

Re: Football topic ?

I had it removed after Norway's embarrassing result against Wales  :ninja:

No, really - when I searched for it on Google and clicked the first result, this is what I got:

"An Error Has Occurred!

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. "

Seems like it has evaporated.

Or Sweden against England.

Anyway, send a PM to Jon. He'll restore it to its proper place.

It may have been an error on which delete button was hit, as there was a spam post at the bottom of it...

Dug it up from beyond the grave and it's back where it should be.

Cheers,
Jon

Shadow said:
Or Sweden against England.
We have waited 43 years for that result. 43 years and 12 games without a win against Sweden.

And the winning goal was also England's 2000th goal (shame it was an og).

Forostar said:
Get Owen and that Bulgarian back on the pitch.

Black Wizard said:
And that Serbian.

News update about these gentlemen:

Owen is out until Christmas with a thigh muscle injury, Berbatov is playing more frequently again and Vidic is banned for two Champions League games after his sending-off against Otelul Galati.

... and United have not conceded a single goal in the four games following the game against Al-Cityh.
By the way, here is an audio clip from that match between Norway and England in 1981. No, not the "your boys took a hell of a beating" rant, but another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSfXPiQ2XAU

Dunno, but that's about the most unprofessional commentary I've heard.

It's comical but also, well, amature-like (and pathetic) to do something like this.

Forostar said:
Wow, that's quite an impressive statistic. Didn't realize that.
I also believe they are the first nation to get to this milestone. Agreed, they had a head start on everyone, but it's still impressive. ;)

And Wasted, perhaps it could be merged (or even locked) - but it's your call. :)

Who'd be a Chelsea fan right now? I guess Arsenal fans are having an ironic laugh at their current form but lets not forget it was only a few weeks ago it was the other way round.

In other news, David Beckham has become only the second ever Englishman to win league titles in three different countries: Man U, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy. Who fancies a stab at the other Englishman? Clue, Marseilles was one of the clubs.

Trevor Steven - Everton, Rangers and Marseilles.

Real Madrid are currently dismembering teams who are not up to scratch at the Santiago Bernabeu. Their midweek Croatian opponents conceded four in just 18 minutes on Tuesday. "We smashed them from the start" noted José Mourinho.
The visitors to the Spanish capital before that were Osasuna, a supposedly well-organised, solid side who held Atlético to a goalless draw in the Calderón this year. They returned to Pamplona having been beaten 7-1. 'Well-organised' and 'solid' are two adjectives that currently can't be used in any form to describe Atlético these days, a team who face an outfit who have won 12 games in a row in Spain and Europe.

Albie said:
Who'd be a Chelsea fan right now? I guess Arsenal fans are having an ironic laugh at their current form but lets not forget it was only a few weeks ago it was the other way round.

In other news, David Beckham has become only the second ever Englishman to win league titles in three different countries: Man U, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy. Who fancies a stab at the other Englishman? Clue, Marseilles was one of the clubs.

Trevor Steven - Everton, Rangers and Marseilles.

Interesting statistic. I'd love to such stats for more countries. I find 2 for England a low number.

Forostar said:
Interesting statistic. I'd love to such stats for more countries. I find 2 for England a low number.
I agree, it is low but English players tend not to stray outside of the English league.

And it would be interesting to find that for other countries. I would guess you will find a lot more Dutch players, for example, that will have achieved that. And in better leagues than USA and Scotland.
Absolutely stunned and saddened by this bit of news: Gary Speed dies at the age of 42.

One of the things I can say about Speed is that I can only think about football when talking of him. He was a rare breed amongst modern high-profile players whereby he kept himself away from controversy. And it saddens me more that it seems it was suicide.

Sad. Really sad.

RIP. He was a great example of energetic defensive midfielders with skills of attacking. He'll continue being one of the first names that come to my mind when someone says Newcastle United.

Back