Official Football Thread

Holy fudge!  Germany is looking dominating and confident!  Then Upson makes a comback and Lampard probably delivers the best almost a goal in this WC.  What entertainment!

I'm about 5 min. behind the actual game.  The video replay just showed it was well over the line.  If this does not push for video replay in Brazil 2014, I don't know what will.  Wow!

How the hell did the referees miss that goal? You didn't even need a replay to see that it was over the line.

The referee's assistant was not close to the corner, but rather 50 or so feet away.  He couldn't have seen it from his vantage point.  This is more reason to have another assistant behind the goal line.

Ugly American perspective:  international soccer is a joke.  It was bad enough when phantom calls disallowed two U.S. goals earlier in the tournament, including one in which the official never even explained the basis for the call.  But when the ball actually goes in the goal for England, there is no whistle for a foul or offsides, yet they don't stop play and allow the goal????  Disgusting.  In a sport where goals are few and far between, the alarming number of unfairly disallowed goals we have seen in this World Cup renders it -- I'll say it again -- a fucking joke.  Strongly suggests corruption and fixed matches, though it probably is just colossal incompetence.  I'm waiting for a situation in which the ball actually hits the back of the net and the referee just ignores the goal.  Sounds absurd, but after what I've seen, it wouldn't even surprise me.  Two weeks ago, I was excited about the World Cup; now I'm debating whether even to watch any more.  Can't wait for "real" football, American football (in which the refs have accountability), to start. 

Edit: I'll say this much, the England-Germany match is pretty damn exciting. Still, should be tied, and that stains the whole game. 

I'm off the walls upset. How could a replay hurt the game? The next time the ball goes out, the ref takes a few seconds…extra added time. Oh no. That would be terrible.

Third goal for Germany.  David James should have saved that one.  But a great breakaway by Germany especially the work by Schweinsteiger and Muller.  And as I type this it is 4:1 thanks to Muller again.

Both of the last goals were esentially due to England pressing to tie it up with Germany exploiting a quick counter-attack with their young players like Ozil and Muller.
LooseCannon said:
I honestly wonder how this game would have turned out if the phantom goal had counted.

England probably would not leave themselves so vulnerable to counter-attacks.
Does anyone else experience drop outs in the footage transmission, both audio and video?

Yup I've been experiencing it too GK. This is garbage I know that "Human error is part of the game" but there have been way to many errors that have changed the out come of the games....

Looking at the facebook statuses of my family members from England is priceless.

Sad really.  As great as this game is, it would have been better if Lampard's goal counted.  Then had Lampard's second crossbar been slightly lower, it would be another goal changing the game to 3:2 for England.  I was counting on Germany to win, but not like this.

It just feels unfair. I realize I'm used to a sport where the refs are mostly in charge, but have backup…but if FIFA ever wants to break out in North America, they need to consider changes. MLS should do it - and get bigger. We do not want a sport where arbitrary decisions cause this much damage.

ESPECIALLY in a single-round knockout. That's why video review was introduced in gridiron football. Too many mistakes made at too many critical moments.

I had this discussion the other day with a friend; I kinda get it, FIFA has a game that is being played the same way today (respectively) as it was in 1930 (or whichever year it started).  It (FIFA) is trying to keep the integrity of the game.  Its frustrating, because the officiating needs to be held to a higher accountability.  MLB officials make mistakes, and the games deal with it, but they are reviewed, held accountable, and even reprimanded (and/or suspended) if mistakes are made.  Human error is part of the game, but it has to be muted as much as possible...

Well, really, its great to win the game, but who wants to be handed the victory?  Thats why I hate cheats and mods on video games-- wanna win with skill, not bullshit. 

Hopefully, it gets better, tho!

Yeah, I hope to see that game!  I know there has been lots of 'garbage' goin on, but I feel like its really getting to the 'exciting' part of the tourney (is it called a tourney?)

Back