Official Football Thread

Tournament or tourney depending on which side of the Atlantic you are.  I hope to see Argentina win and see a replay of '86 and '90.

One thing about England though, you have to admit they were weak on defense.  I wonder how the average English fan will react.

I'm pissed with the Ref but more pissed off with our defence.

Terry was absymal and James could've done better on 3 of the goals. Johnson was constantly outmuscled by Olic and just bleh.

In the first-half our Midfield was really strong I thought. Lampard actually had a really good match, Gerrard was excellent in the first half (terrible in the second half) and Milner was strong until he went off.

It's just so disappointing :(

Genghis Khan said:
The referee's assistant was not close to the corner, but rather 50 or so feet away.  He couldn't have seen it from his vantage point.  This is more reason to have another assistant behind the goal line.

How many more f**king assistants do we need ? One linesman didn't see anything, the 4th referee didn't see anything,
while the whole stadium and at least one English pub in the world, saw it.

Fuck. I'm pissed off with the referees in this World Cup.
And what the fuck do we need the 4th referee anyway ??  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jonszat said:
I'm pissed with the Ref but more pissed off with our defence.

Terry was absymal and James could've done better on 3 of the goals. Johnson was constantly outmuscled by Olic and just bleh.

In the first-half our Midfield was really strong I thought. Lampard actually had a really good match, Gerrard was excellent in the first half (terrible in the second half) and Milner was strong until he went off.

It's just so disappointing :(

That would be Ozil not Olic, the latter is a Croatian mid-fielder.  ;)

Will-I-Am said:
How many more f**king assistants do we need ? One linesman didn't see anything, the 4th referee didn't see anything,
while the whole stadium and at least one English pub in the world, saw it.

Fuck. I'm pissed off with the referees in this World Cup.
And what the fuck do we need the 4th referee anyway ??  :mad: :mad: :mad:

An official behind the net would be good or just have a quick video replay where the ref calls the TV guys up in the tower.  As LC said, it'll be quick and time spent can be added to time after 90 min.

Are you watching the game in England, then?

Yes of course, there are no words to describe how I felt when this goal didn't count  :mad: :mad:

...it would have been so much different... fucking referees  :mad:

Ozil or Olic?
Will-I-Am said:
Yes of course, there are no words to describe how I felt when this goal didn't count  :mad: :mad:

...it would have been so much different... fucking referees  :mad:

I want to hear FIFA's response.  It'll probably be along the lines of "we'll look into it", while offering nothing concrete.

Fuck that linesman, and yes - introduce video replays when one is not sure if the ball was in. When situations like these are fucked up, then one has an excuse for doing what should have been done years ago.

Still, what lost the game for England was horrible, horrible defending. Both the first German goals came out of Terry and Upson being out of position and the sidebacks having no clue, One simply cannot do like that against a team which has Klose and Podolski up front.

Also, the way the Germans were exploiting the spaces for counter-attacks in the second half was really impressive. No hesitation, no nonsense. Just straight forward and make the pass at exactly the right time. Watch out Argentina!

Still, those counterattacks would never have happened had it been 2-2 at half time ...

Bollocks - is all I can say.

Oh well. Listen, Sepp Blatter was at that game and is likely to brush that Lampard "goal" under the carpet as the Germans won, in the end, fairly comfortably - but he would of been mightily embarrassed by the referee getting it so, so wrong. The whole ground, the Germans, Capello, everyone, knew it was over but at the end of the day the man that counted did not consider it over. I can not speculate what would of happened had the score been 2-2 at the time.

At the end of the day, the scoreboard read 2-1 at half time. That was the reality of it.

I've said it before, all we need is that each team is allowed perhaps just 2 calls to contest a referee decision - immediately, not when the ball goes dead. Get it wrong, and you loose one call and the possession is given to the opposition. They have it in cricket, tennis, etc. But we don't, and perhaps never will whilst Sepp Blatter is in the hot seat.

Oh well.

Bollocks!

The 4the referee could be assigned to watch the video and such solutions not only the extra time...

Fuck, it's insane
All the stadium was watching on the big screens the ball inside, and still there was no goal counted. Can you imagine that ??
In 1966 there were not such facilities...

Will-I-Am said:
In 1966 there were not such facilities...
In 1966 there was Geoff Hurst positioned right in front of the goal and saw it as in. Had he thought it was not, it is most likely he would have knocked in the rebound. That may have helped the linesman make his decision as they do quite often look at players reactions.

Never heard this argument before -it gets even more sad now  :(

THAT GOAL --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySUM0ZERdA4&feature=related

I thought the Algeria game was the worst piece of professional football I've seen, but that really took the biscuit.

People are saying if the goal was allowed that the game would have been different. The only difference would have been 4-2 instead of 4-1. Whether motivation and confidence would have been different is not really valid considering England finished the 1st half on a positive note despite the disallowed goal. It also ignores the fact we played terribly in 1st half anyway.

Wasted CLV said:
I had this discussion the other day with a friend; I kinda get it, FIFA has a game that is being played the same way today (respectively) as it was in 1930 (or whichever year it started).  It (FIFA) is trying to keep the integrity of the game.  Its frustrating, because the officiating needs to be held to a higher accountability.  MLB officials make mistakes, and the games deal with it, but they are reviewed, held accountable, and even reprimanded (and/or suspended) if mistakes are made.  Human error is part of the game, but it has to be muted as much as possible...

In Formula 1, there are regular penalties and alterations to race results after the event has finished and usually its seen as a bit fixed and confusing (after all, the viewers just watched one result, and later learn it wasn't the actual one). But at least the errors from the officials are (usually) a bit more fair and take in all the information. Its never a black and white situation that becomes controversial in F1, not like this anyway.

In hockey, a game with 1/2 the players and 1/6th the surface, there are 2 referees, 2 linesman, 2 goal judges, 2 in-building video review officials, and 2-4 out of building video review officials.

Soccer needs to pick it up. Fix the damn game. It's broken.

Someone had said England was working pretty hard to even the score up, so took some chances.  The thing is, a 2-2 game is played far different than a 2-1 game (IMO).  When it is tied, one can play a waiting game and not force the issue, when playing from behind, one has to play more aggressive.  Its a shame, really. 

Back