Official Football Thread

Will-I-Am said:
Bon Appetit my friend!!
You live close to Halifax ??  :)

Yes.  Only 1850 km away.  :)

Jonszat said:
Ozil. I'm not doing very well in my fantasy football team if I have a Croatian player in there :P

Yes, they sucked this year.
Wasted CLV said:
Someone had said England was working pretty hard to even the score up, so took some chances.  The thing is, a 2-2 game is played far different than a 2-1 game (IMO).  When it is tied, one can play a waiting game and not force the issue, when playing from behind, one has to play more aggressive.  Its a shame, really. 

That was my point when talking about counter-attacks.

I just heard that four conservative British fossils in the International Football Association Board (IFAB) (the body that determines the Laws of the Game of association football) are blocking the use of video technology in the near future. So the British themselves are co-guilty of the fact that shit like today still happens on the field in 2010. Complain about them, not about Blatter who can't change this alone.

I saw the analysis on the BBC after the match and I couldn't agree with them more. They trashed Capello's foolish analysis.

One point of extra criticism. I put it in spoilers for people who can't stand this right after this terrible record-defeat.

They're constantly talking about the big players of England, that they didn't show what they can. You know why?

Every big English player in his club has three bigger foreign players in his club to make him that big. Every English player in the PL has fantastic foreigners to get him in a great position. Every great English defender has three foreign defenders with him.

So this ought to be the best group since The Beatles? I think they might even be the worst English squad since the Beatles.

Naaah they weren't that bad... Also don't forget they play more matches in their league than the other players in their leagues.
And : 1990 & 2002 English teams were awesome

Mexico can really still do it if they keep their heads cool. Which is difficult. A lot of emotion after that unfair goal.
I hope they get their heads back in the 2nd half, I would like to see the Mexicans make Maradona worried.

Controversy after controversy.  Mexico can't even it out when they give the ball away to Higuain.
A cracker, that's British commentator Helm's favoured term, by Tevez makes it 3:0.  The goal reminds me of Birsa's goal.

Great goal. Mexico is attacking constantly but Argentina stings them with their out of the blue goals. Not undeserved but this 3-0 score is not really matching the game imo.

Mexico should have capitalized in the first 20 min. when they were better than Argentina, with two awesome chances, one of them a crossbar.

Eddies Wingman said:
Yet another ridiculous call by an assistant referee. Carlos Tevez was one meter offside when he made it 1-0 for Argentina ...

I'm not nearly as bothered by this bad call, even though I was mildly rooting for Mexico.  Tevez was being the aggressor, it was a bang-bang play, and the defenders were a mess.  Plus, better to err on the side of allowing a goal than penalizing the more aggressive and successful goal-scoring team.  I'm inherently skeptical of defenders trying to play the offsides less than 3 meters from their own goal--if, in fact that's what Mexico was doing, as opposed to just freezing in panic after Tevez's run.  One last point: after seeing the replay a few times, that ball had a damn good chance of going in even if Tevez hadn't touched it.   

Anyway, the call was very clearly wrong and the goal shouldn't stand. It does not matter what people think of the situation - the linesman screwed up badly and he'd probably be the first to admit it.

Wow, two huge screwups from the referees today. In my opinion, it didn't make much of a difference to England because they played poorly and only had three real chances in the entire match - the two that went in and that free kick from Lampard in the second half.

Germany is one mean machine though, the game against Argentina will be the "final before the final".

For tomorrow, I predict clean victories for the Dutch and for Brazil.

England was beyond horrible on this World Cup and Lampard's invalid goal was the change for '66, I think. Even if that goal was valided, Germany would destroy England, anyway. Really sad to see England playing so bad (if playing at all). Better luck here in Brasil 2014, after qualifying, of course.

Tevez was twice in offside - when he received the ball and the keeper bumped into him, and then just before scoring. Tevez is better than Messi. Always was, but since fifa thinks the best players in the world are only those who play in Europe, loads of overrated players will keep being elusively seeing as ace players. That robbed goal fucked up Mexico which was playing better.

I can forgive the linesman's mistake with Argentina as everything happen too fast, and most important it didn't influence the game so much...
But the one with England is simply unforgivable.

Yes they certainly should introduce the video in football...
I can imagine again the whole stadium watching the big screen with Tevez being clearly off-side
and the 4th referee taking notes in his book for the extra time... ridiculous  <_<

LooseCannon said:
I, on the other hand, live but 200 kms away from Halifax, 5.

Awesome !! We gonna have a terrific time  :)

cornfedhick said:
I'm not nearly as bothered by this bad call, even though I was mildly rooting for Mexico.  Tevez was being the aggressor, it was a bang-bang play, and the defenders were a mess.  Plus, better to err on the side of allowing a goal than penalizing the more aggressive and successful goal-scoring team.  I'm inherently skeptical of defenders trying to play the offsides less than 3 meters from their own goal--if, in fact that's what Mexico was doing, as opposed to just freezing in panic after Tevez's run.  One last point: after seeing the replay a few times, that ball had a damn good chance of going in even if Tevez hadn't touched it.   
CFH, you have the gift of expressing yourself, man !!  :ok:
I noticed this ability in some other of your posts; with usually a few words you manage to express a powerful meaning.
(for instance, your post about AMOLAD artwork was a such)

Wasted CLV said:
Someone had said England was working pretty hard to even the score up, so took some chances.  The thing is, a 2-2 game is played far different than a 2-1 game (IMO).  When it is tied, one can play a waiting game and not force the issue, when playing from behind, one has to play more aggressive.  Its a shame, really. 

I disagree, the mistakes made were all round and the team have generally been pretty pathetic all tournament. They were never going to win the game without somehow finding their qualifying form. I don't think the game would have been much different with a draw for the 2nd half.

Will-I-Am said:
CFH, you have the gift of expressing yourself, man !!  :ok:
I noticed this ability in some other of your posts; with usually a few words you manage to express a powerful meaning.
(for instance, your post about AMOLAD artwork was a such)

Thanks very much for the kind words. Glad you think so, given that it's an integral part of my job!

Ok OK, so Tevez was offside and he scored... that happened and the ref was not going to take it back. What does Mexico do? They decide to get all pissy and play poorly until the last 15 minutes of the game. We are such a country of hot-heads that even our professional athletes can't keep their cool under pressure. They decide to play the fucking mexican fatalism card, use the mistake as an excuse for their poor performance. And Osorio's mistake?! good god.... we could have done much better. No comment on England haha, and good luck to Brazil!

Jeffmetal said:
Tevez was twice in offside - when he received the ball and the keeper bumped into him, and then just before scoring. Tevez is better than Messi. Always was, but since fifa thinks the best players in the world are only those who play in Europe, loads of overrated players will keep being elusively seeing as ace players. That robbed goal fucked up Mexico which was playing better.

Since when does Tevez not play in Europe? And would you say he was better than Messi also during the 2009-2009 season, where he scored a total of 15 goals for Man United, of which 6 were in the Carling Cup? Then I'll have to disagree with you. Strongly.

Ardius said:
I disagree, the mistakes made were all round and the team have generally been pretty pathetic all tournament. They were never going to win the game without somehow finding their qualifying form. I don't think the game would have been much different with a draw for the 2nd half.

What is interesting is that it's been different parts of the team that have been rubbish. Against USA they were all decent until the equalizer. After that, the defense was still OK for the rest of the group stage, but the attacking play was without creativity, without pace and without width.

Against Germany yesterday, it was the defense that gave them away. Terry and Upson were caught out of position on both of Germany's goals in the first half.

Back