Official Football Thread

Yes. I felt that Ghana probably didn't deserve to win, but the US deserved to lose. Still, an exciting game, especially the last 10 of extra time.

I am genuinely pleased for Africa to have Ghana progress. We have Marcel Desailly as a pundit on one of the UK TV stations covering the World Cup, and his happiness is so bloody contagious.

Well, believe it or not, I'm quite impressed by US -first time to see a US match.
They played AS A TEAM, there were some moments in the first half, that they were all moving perfectly,
pressing everywhere and developing themselves with such a symmetry...
Plus they fair play and not too much 'acting' as well, I really enjoyed that team  :)

On the other hand, Ghana is more technically accomplished team by units, but less 'team' as US is.
In fact I would like to see Argentina, Spain or Brazil playing with such a discipline and team spirit, as US played today...
I mean Donovan did execute an out, that is awesome  :respect:  

I enjoyed the spirit in which the US played as well. Fair play to them, they played with heart.

By the way, I would not bet against Donovan signing for a Premiership club for next season.

He played in Everton this year on loan. Remember, MLS and Premiership don't perfectly overlap. Donovan really is an incredible player. I'm sad he's gone.

Will-I-Am said:
For moving to England, is a bit limit I find... For Italy or Spain is perfect though  :D
As LC said, he was at Everton on a loan spell last winter. And I think he is perfectly suited as a Premiership player.

He played really well for Everton last year. A great loaning for them, like LC said they tried to extend his loan as long as they could but Galaxy refused.

He'll go to a European chasing club if anyone goes after him. Perhaps Man City.

Wait are Galaxy the one's who bought Beckham?

I would say they might like the money but if they can afford $500k a week on Beckhams wages I guess they don't need it.

I just finished watching the game.  :bigsmile:
There were a lot of interruptions.  USA was anemic and fearful in the first half and dominated in the second.  Ghana had great chances and capitalized on USA's defensive mistakes.  I was wrong about USA.  This is exactly the same result as last world cup.  I expect Uruguay to defeat Ghana in the quarter finals.

By the way, the extra time was briefly interrupted with G20 demonstration news.  A couple of burning police cars, smashed shopping district windows done by those donning the black garb and those waving the red flag.  The funniest part was when Sarkozy insulted the Canadian PM Harper for making the Summit too expensive and said he'd make the next one in France 10X cheaper.  :D  For a second I was afraid they'd post-pone the extra time by the demonstration news, but the game continued not long after.  However, there was no post-game pundit discussion.  

The game was entertaining except for the middle of the first half where it lagged.  The Ghanese won mostly, IMHO, because they dominated the mid-field.

Both games were really great and the losers went out on a high. Played with fiber, iron will and played as well as the winners. I thought USA would make it, but that's the wonderful magic of football, it's a tiny box full of surprises and I think this World Cup reserves more surprises yet.

My bets for tomorrow - England and Mexico. Yes, I think Maradona will take his big mouth and ego back for a (sad) tango in Buenos Aires.

Jeffmetal said:
Yes, I think Maradona will take his big mouth and ego back for a (sad) tango in Buenos Aires.
Not much of a Maradona fan then? ;)

Funnily enough, despite it all (hand of God and all that) he is quite well respected in England. But only really for his football.

Now the big one is almost upon us (well, big for us English). Forgive me if I don't come back for much of a discussion today as I will be either commiserating or celebrating. Either way I may not be in the right frame of mind. :D

C'mon England
rooneynikebigbig.jpg

Albie said:
Forgive me if I don't come back for much of a discussion today as I will be either commiserating or celebrating. Either way I may not be in the right frame of mind. :D

You can always post in the "Drunk Posting" topic  ;)

Will soon  be off to the Three Lions pub myself.

Back