Official Football Thread

Funds ?? For a national team ?? How's that  :blink:

Jeffmetal said:
Oh, yeah. Ahahahahahahahahahah... It's a great place - despite all the hardships. Just take care with some places you go and don't get the word around you're a tourist in these certain places. But if you come over, you'll get very well received. There's lots of fun, beautiful women and an amazing culture for you to enjoy.

I really hard try hard to find a job there, too much competition though, everyone wants to go to Brazil -not a big surprise huh ?  ;)

Even for us natives is hard to get a job (I'm just out of a job since October 2007 with college degree, english course and aeverything). But apply for every spot that opens up. I think once you get here, you won't want to go away from here. :D

Genghis Khan said:
Albie, what's the answer to your youngest player question?
Forgive me as I worded the question wrong - it was the youngest player, not youngest scorer. The youngest scorer record is still Pele's.

The youngest ever player was Norman Whiteside (who did break Pele's record) when he played for Northern Ireland in Spain '82. He went on to be the youngest scorer in an FA Cup final when he was with Manchester United. I am not sure if his record still stands in the FA Cup, but it most certainly does in the World Cup. Northern Ireland gave the hosts a real scare in '82 by beating them 1-0. I remember it so well, it was major news in the UK at the time.

Jeffmetal said:
Even for us natives is hard to get a job (I'm just out of a job since October 2007 with college degree, english course and aeverything). But apply for every spot that opens up. I think once you get here, you won't want to go away from here. :D

No, I work to a society that has offices pretty much everywhere... Accommodation paid off, as well as some expatriate bonus.
So for countries like Canada or Corea, it's pretty much easy,
but for Shanghai, Singapore, Miami, Brazil or Argentina offices, forget about it, everyone's want to go there  :bigsmile:

I'm between Canada and Corea in 1 1/2 -2 years from now...

Will-I-Am said:
You speak about president Sarkozy ?? I hate him. Yes, he wants to have a role in everything.
He's very clever though, he understands that football plays a certain role in country's life, a kind of its mirror sometimes as well. I hate him.

Good for you!  That's why I despise politicians.

Will-I-Am said:
You know, it's apparently an amazing country, football, sex, carnival, sex... I'd really like to come  :D

:P

LooseCannon said:
Well, if you are going to help out a bit with funds, that is one thing - I believe most countries do - if you are going to run the team, wtf!

I am against funds because I don't think we should be forced to pay for it.  If someone willingly donates, that's their business.  The players, coaches are rich anyway. If what they have is not suficient for them, then their lousy performance is not because of money.  

Depends on the country - national development programs are a good way to get a sport going. MLS was essentially a joint government-private investment to get the 94 World Cup, the government got bought out when it went successful.

In Canada, soccer players aren't even close to rich.

Will-I-Am said:
No, I work to a society that has offices pretty much everywhere... Accommodation paid off, as well as some expatriate bonus.
So for countries like Canada or Corea, it's pretty much easy,
but for Shanghai, Singapore, Miami, Brazil or Argentina offices, forget about it, everyone's want to go there  :bigsmile:

I'm between Canada and Corea in 1 1/2 -2 years from now...

Where in Canada?

Will-I-Am said:
Regarding Suarez.... He's a big footballer and I won't be surprised to see him in Barca or Real next year

I don't think so. Those two clubs typically don't bring in foreign players before they have impressed in another of the big leagues, is my impression. Not nowadays, at least. They seem to want to always bring in the biggest stars possible. Sort of a competition between them as to who can buy the biggest names.

I think Suarez is ready for bigger tasks than Ajax, though. I would not be surprised to see for example Man City try to outbid others who might be interested.

Well, my impression is that Barcelona lately have taken on the same "galactico" policy as Real Madrid did, although not to the same extent. They grow a lot of good talent themselves, but when they want to bring in someone nowadays, it seems more like they will go for someone who has impressed at another big club. For example, they are very keen on getting Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal.

Yes, you're probably right... Which is the most intelligent team for you ? (regarding new talents /discoveries)
I'd say Manchester United... 

I think that varies a bit. United have generally done well in that respect under Ferguson's reign, yes - and Arsenal, too, have found lots of good talent. The difference is that United collects more from within Britain - Ferguson thinks it is important to keep a British (and if possible, Mancunian) profile on the team.

I must admit I don't feel qualified to mean anything about which clubs do well in finding talent in other big leagues. But I know that Ajax are known for producing a huge number of great players.

But now, USA vs Ghana! I doubt it will be as cracking as the previous match, but one can always hope  B)

For me, being invested in the match…should be good!
According to the announcers, the Ghanans are easily outplaying the US - and more because they were better prepared.

After half an hour I'd say Ghana have been the far better team. The US coach actually brings Maurice Edu on for Ricardo Clark in the 30th minute! That's very early for a player who is not injured ...

Back