Official Football Thread

Jeffmetal said:
They need brasilian coaches there to change the way they play and their schemes.

The Brazilian coach of South Africa really did well. NOT!
He used four or five defenders vs ten men with one striker, and while he even knew the situation in the other group he took out an attacker.  :nuts2:

Albie said:
You hungry? ;)

Ehh... hmm well uh, we'll see.  ::)

Eddies Wingman said:
Frank Lampard is probably my favourite Chelsea player. He rarely complains, he just does the job. He seems to be one of the more reflected guys in the England squad (and at Chelsea). And it's a good thing that he takes a diplomatic approach to this entire situation, playing down his clubmate's big words. Terry has got a very big mouth (perhaps that comes with being a Big Man™?).

I think what the England squad needs now is just focusing on concrete tasks that they need to work on, not who should play saviour. Then it's good to have someone like Lampard to calm things down.

The words of Prank Lamfard (sorry guys, had to make that excellent anagram one day) were very believable now that Terry has apologized.  :)

Crap. It turns out the Norwegian channel Viasat4 and Swedish TV4 are both showing Greece vs Argentina. Thus, no switching between the games for me.

Well, let's hope Nigeria don't score early then. That would probably mean Greece would defend with 11 men plus kitchen utilities and whatever else they might have at hand - which means I would be stuck with one possibly very boring match.

LooseCannon said:
Watch the stream on your computer from FIFA.com?

Of course, but I prefer watching on my TV. Plus my wireless network is usually not stable enough to stream live footy without interruptions.

And there's nothing wrong with watching Argentina thrash the Greeks either  :D

1-1

Man, I have to say I am still very impressed to see Nwanko Kanu handling the ball. I know him since he played for Ajax (1994), and he still has it. Not the fastest anymore but still one of the best techniques on this championship. Hardly looses the ball, always in control, very relaxed, great style to watch really. Too bad he didn't play in the earlier two matches.

I didn't even know Kanu was still going strong ...

By the way, the Greeks seem to know that South Korea are not in the lead. Not the most exciting first half I've seen, to say it the least.

*Facepalm* Of course. For some reason I was thinking South Korea had a goal difference one worse than Greece ... but as you say, South Korea are ahead. On more scored goals ... and should Argentina and Greece both score, South Korea will still be ahead of Greece - on head-to-head.

It's still kind of exciting, the battle for the 2nd place. Especially if Nigeria wants to try something again as well.

I hear South Korea have buried a free kick? Starting to look ugly for Greece now.

OUUUCH!!!

Greece's goalie tok a direct hit in his 'nads from five yards out. Poor sod .... but he managed to hold the ball (the Jabulani one) in a firm grip ... He won't be singing bass in the shower afterwards.
Now, 1-0 to Argentina, once again a set piece was needed for them to break the deadlock.

And with 2-2 in the other match, Nigeria are now only one goal away from going through.

Final results - Argentina-Greece 2-0, Nigeria-South Korea 2-2. I hear that Nigeria have missed a shitload of chances in the final minutes.

Now there's only one African team with realistic hopes for the second round - Ghana tomorrow.

Damn, I really hoped/expected that Nigeria would score that one important goal.

Still, I like it that South Korea goes through. They have to take on Uruguay now...

I hold Uruguay as favourites for that one, and Argentina should also beat Mexico. I have high hopes for the entertainment value of the latter match!

The South Korea - Nigeria match was a good one to watch, lots of chances, notably Yakubu missing the simplest of open goals. South Korea didn't look too comfortable defending the draw however, and I don't fancy their chances against Uruguay next.

national acrobat said:
The South Korea - Nigeria match was a good one to watch, lots of chances, notably Yakubu missing the simplest of open goals.

It was off-side anyway -if he hadn't fucked up the goal wouldn't count.

national acrobat said:
The South Korea - Nigeria match was a good one to watch, lots of chances, notably Yakubu missing the simplest of open goals. South Korea didn't look too comfortable defending the draw however, and I don't fancy their chances against Uruguay next.

Yakubu missed a goal from four feet away.  On an open net.  With the Korean goalie jumping out of his way so he could score.

Will-I-Am said:
It was off-side anyway -if he hadn't fucked up the goal wouldn't count.

I don't recall it being offside.  The ref surely did not call it.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Mexico v Argentina game should be a great rematch from WC 2006, which also took place in the round of 16.  Previously, the game was 1:1 after regulation time with Argentina scoring a goal in the extra 30 min.  Onhell preferably wants a different result this time.

I also expect Uruguay to defeat Korea Rep., as the latter shows some problems in defense.  The Korea Rep v Nigeria game is actually the only full game I got to watch today.

Back