Official Football Thread

I think the refereeing has been suspect at best of late, but it did start quite well.

ilikesta said:
Can't wait for the Super Bowl!! Football rocks!! :)

Football is what's been played in South Africa. That's the real football! The one popularized in Britain. That 'thing' you call football has nothing to do with foot as the players barely use it. It should've never ever been called football.

And yes, FOOTBALL ROCKS!!!
1139234361_f.jpg

LooseCannon said:
Be nice, folks.

Did Spain win?

I think I was quite nice. I just felt like being a little ironic.

And Spain won 2-0. If this group comes down to goal difference between Spain, Chile and Switzerland now, it will be Chile who bite the dust ...

Spain may still struggle to go through - they should have had a hatfull tonight.

My bet for top goal scorer is David Villa so I was happy to see him grab a couple tongiht, but he'll probably finish 1 off now after his penalty miss.

After all teams have played two matches, only two teams are definitely through to the 1/8 finals: Netherlands and Brazil. Argentina need to fuck up seriously to not go through, but it is theoretically possible: If Greece beat them by four, and South Korea win their match by two, Argentina are third. Still, I think the opposite will happen tomorrow. Argentina will win, giving Nigeria a chance to snatch 2nd by beating South Korea. Looking forward to NGA-KOR.

Albie said:
I think the refereeing has been suspect at best of late, but it did start quite well.

Norway's head coach, Egil "Drillo" Olsen, agrees with us on this.

Just finished watching the Spain v Honduras game.  Very entertaining.  Torres is still not top form, but D. Villa is fabulous.  This group is tight and the match between Spain and Chile will feel like a high caliber match.  I've watched only the highlights from the other two games.  

Once again, I'm 2/3 correct for today.  Tomorrow I predict: Uruguay beats Mexico by a goal difference (or a tie as second likely event).  France v S. Africa is a tie (or maybe the French even lose as the Africans have nothing to lose but pride over the demoralized French).  Argentina and Nigeria both win their matches.

I too think Uruguay beat Mexico, unless South Africa or France take an early lead. If it is 2-0 or 3-0 to either France or South Africa at half time, I think both Mexico and Uruguay will settle for the draw rather than taking any chances. Still, I can't see SA or France scoring four. No way.

I agree on Argentina and Nigeria. And with the current goal difference situation, a Nigeria win will also see them through. If they win and Argentina win, Nigeria will have a better goal difference than both Greece and South Korea.

Forostar said:
If England won't reach the next round in this supersimple group... I have to eat my shoe.
You hungry? ;)

I had to make a dentist appointment this week - normal bi-annual check up. They offered me Wednesday at 3:30! I politely declined this one and asked for another.

Sounds like a good idea to leave work early and go directly to the pub  :D It has got to be an exciting match. It always is when the presumably better team has to win.

I just wonder who will be the media's scapegoat of choice if England fail ...

Albie said:
You hungry? ;)

I had to make a dentist appointment this week - normal bi-annual check up. They offered me Wednesday at 3:30! I politely declined this one and asked for another.

I've had to make a few doctor's appointments too....with a World Cup wall chart in front of me! :D

Eddies Wingman said:
I too think Uruguay beat Mexico, unless South Africa or France take an early lead. If it is 2-0 or 3-0 to either France or South Africa at half time, I think both Mexico and Uruguay will settle for the draw rather than taking any chances. Still, I can't see SA or France scoring four. No way.

I agree on Argentina and Nigeria. And with the current goal difference situation, a Nigeria win will also see them through. If they win and Argentina win, Nigeria will have a better goal difference than both Greece and South Korea.
I agree.  No way either the French or S. African team will score that many goals.

Albie said:
I imagine many dentists have this slot left wide open for takers... of which there are not many.

Back