Official Football Thread

Donovon scored in the last minute to take USA through (Ahead of England).

On the bright side my School's Leavers Ball was on the same day as Englands probably 1/4 final match if we finished top but it no longer is because USA play then instead. Small comforts.

Well, not bad, though England could play Germany in the next round - a clash of rivals. Perhaps they should take the game to the skies over Southern England to give a slight advantage to the Three Lions.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES THEY CAN!

O man I'm so happy USA made that goal! Excellent!  :rocker:
I was on the edge of my seat constantly.

Looking forward to tonight's match. Ghana should really be able to at least draw vs Germany, I even think they'll win. Ghana has a strong defense and good organization.

Big chance England will meet Ghana in the next round.

Whew!  Exciting match.  Good thing, too, as American fans might have sworn off international soccer completely if we'd been harmed by yet another shitty call disallowing a good goal (Dempsey's in the first half, he wasn't offsides, the announcers went berserk). 

I haven't seen it but I don't blame them - Donovan proves why he is the best US player in the world yet again, though!

cornfedhick said:
....yet another shitty call disallowing a good goal....
He was onside by the most slender of margins - but onside nonetheless. The goal should have stood. I guess the US deserve to win the group as they should have beaten Slovenia had it not been for yet another bad referee decision.

Well, I'm calm now after that England match. They put us through hell far to often, but I knew they had it in them. :D

By the way, Defoe's goal was not that scrappy in my opinion, you have to credit a superb cross from Milner to deliver the ball on a sixpence for Defoe. Milner had a good game today.

LooseCannon said:
Well, not bad, though England could play Germany in the next round - a clash of rivals. Perhaps they should take the game to the skies over Southern England to give a slight advantage to the Three Lions.

According to some, Germany don't consider us as rivals, they consider the Dutch as the big rivals?

I'm happy for USA.  Definitely true that USA deserves the win here, especially that another of their goals (by Dempsey) was disallowed.  I'm waiting with baited breath to see who England and USA will play in the round of 16.

First: I'm really relieved on behalf of the English players. They would have let themselves down seriously had they not won today. But they came out on full throttle and dominated the first half very much. To be frank, I think they should have won more.

The US also deserved to go through - although I think it is no point in tarring and feathering the linesman for disallowing that goal in the first half. It was such a close call, I'd say it was a fifty-fifty decision. Unlucky for USA, but no scandal. Still, they deserved to win the group.

Now, let's see what happens with group D. I hold Germany as favourites to win against Ghana and thus to win the group.

LooseCannon said:
Perhaps they should take the game to the skies over Southern England to give a slight advantage to the Three Lions.

I was actually wearing a T-shirt picturing a De Havilland Mosquito in the pub today when watching the game  :D Okay, they didn't use those during the Battle of Britain, but I think it was relevant enough to mention ...

PS: If Germany face England on Sunday - don't mention the war!

If things stay as they are, they will face Ghana. 0-0 at half time in both group D matches.

Germany have looked stronger than Ghana, but not by much. However, I guess they can turn up the heat should Serbia take the lead in their match.

WOW. What a shot by Özil. Just stood still and aimed for the top corner from 18 meters. Pure class.

Ghana 0:1 Germany
Australia 2:1 Serbia

It was a long shot for the Socceroos to make it anyway.  This means that England will meet Germany in the next round, and USA will meet Ghana.  The funny thing is that the favoured teams so far are all on the bottom or right side of the bracket (Argentina, Mexico, Germany, England). 

I expect Paraguay to finish first and Italy second.  Netherlands will be first and Denmark the other team to go through.

national acrobat said:
Get in! Bring on ze Germans and let's make it 2 world wars and 2 world cups! Then we get to beat the Argies!

And if you do, Portugal might await in the semi. A potential stream of rivals for England. But the first one might very well be the last as well. Just don't let it go to penalties.

Lurking on RedCafe can be rewarding at times. Just 'ave a look at this comment:

"Well it's like WW2 all over again, the French surrendered early, the Yanks come in at the last minute and we're left to fight the Germans."

Slovakia is winning!  Slovakia is winning!

An Error Has Occurred!
You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh. 

Stupid senseless errors!  Stupid sensless errors!

Take it easy  :innocent:

Seriously, when I saw it was 1-0 I just hurried home to catch the remainder of the match, and was home at half time.Italy haven't impressed me so far in the 2nd half, considering they have to win to go through. Still, they just had a glorious chance saved on the goal line ...

By the way, just realized Italy don't have to win if it stays 0-0 in the other match. A draw will see them through on  more scored goal.

But forget that now. 2-0 SLOVAKIA!!!

Back