Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, those who are really pessimistic on behalf of England might prefer a root canal over watching the game ...

Good one.

Will-I-Am said:
Greece vs Argentina; May the more bankrupted win  :)

That would be Greece, though Argentina has more experience.  :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Uruguay vs Mexico is an entertaining game thus far.  Mexico seems to be making errors in defense that may cost them.  Unfortunately, I can only view the first half before going to work.

I'm watching FRA-RSA now. Drama in the 26th minute. France's Gourcoff is sent off for an elbow in South Africa's penalty area, and his victim is stretchered off. I think a direct red card was a bit harsh, but defendable.

And South Africa are in the lead.

I'm listening, not watching - sounds like maybe a red was harsh, but it is France's luck this Cup as well. France has serious questions to answer.

Go RSA!

Sounds like both games are entertaining.  The MEX - URU game is fast paced as one would expect.  The bomb from Mexico that hit the inside of the crossbar in the 21st minute was a hair raiser.  France is showing a repeat of the World Cup 2002 when they lost against Senegal and Denmark and a scoreless tie with Uruguay (just like now).  They didn't score a single goal (just like now, so far at least).  Gotta go to work.  Too bad! 

With 2-0 to South Africa now, the odds for a draw in MEX-URU are fast approaching 1.00 ... I guess neither team will take many risks if RSA score one more.

Ai, ai! 1-0 for Uruguay! Great cross, but lousy defending by Mexico too.

Imagine if South Africa were to qualify! There would need to be a very large goal differential change!

LooseCannon said:
Imagine if South Africa were to qualify! There would need to be a very large goal differential change!

Only 2 goals difference now, so even one goal each for South Africa and Uruguay would send the hosts through.

LooseCannon said:
Doesn't RSA have to have more goals than Mexico?
Cock.

You realized that they would indeed have if they scored one more?

It doesn't look good for them now, though. 2-1 with ten minutes left, and France seem to have found a desire to save at least some of their honour.

Yep, but they will still go home instead of going on, and that is going to make Ireland one big party island tonight!

Amazing that France would end up at the bottom of their group, though. Strong effort by RSA, even in the end. Sad they won't continue.

I am sooooooooo pissed with mexico's performance. It's always the same shit with this team. We could've passed as group leaders and instead we fuck up against Uruguay.

Ya, we BARELY qualified, empty victory and we are facing Argentina next. We beat ONE team, the one EVERYBODY took it too, the two games we were expected to win we tie and lose... god I hate caring so much for such an average team.

Onhell said:
Ya, we BARELY qualified, empty victory and we are facing Argentina next. We beat ONE team, the one EVERYBODY took it too, the two games we were expected to win we tie and lose... god I hate caring so much for such an average team.

It could be worse. You could be a Leafs fan. :D

Eddies Wingman said:
Since Argentina are going to thrash Greece, I think Nigeria vs South Korea will be more interesting. I'll probably watch some of both.

I don't have the option to switch back and forth. Who should I cheer for in Nigeria vs Korea?

Depends on whether you are a fan of eating dogs or not  :D No, seriously, I don't care for who win the match. I just hope it is a cracking one.

The situation is as follows:

Nigeria have to win to go through, and they also depend on an Argentina win over Greece. If these happen, the three bottom teams will be tied on 3 points, and Nigeria will have the superior goal difference.

Greece will go through in the following way:
  • Win against Argentina - unless South Korea beat Nigeria by more goals.
  • Draw against Argentina - if South Korea don't win.

My predictions? Argies - Greeks 3-0, Nigeria vs South Korea 2-1.

Back