Official Football Thread

Well, this came to me in my dreams this morning:

England and USA both win their games, leaving USA in 1st. Germany beat Ghana and win group D, and Serbia beat Australia. As a result, don't mention the war on Sunday.

(I didn't say it was a good dream - I would also like to see Australia through and England winning their group).

Albie: Should England win convincingly tonight, but face Germany in the next round and go out on penalties - after playing another good game - would Capello keep his job then? Or would the press pressure ( :S ) become so bad that he would have to resign?

Forostar said:
This day surely calls for excitement. Both groups will be for sure. Looking forward to this "do or die" day.

Indeed.

Eddies Wingman said:
Albie: Should England win convincingly tonight, but face Germany in the next round and go out on penalties - after playing another good game - would Capello keep his job then? Or would the press pressure ( :S ) become so bad that he would have to resign?
Not sure, but if the press do force him out then I seriously think they [the press] once again would have got rid of yet another good manager.

I agree. The last few days show that England need a firm man like Capello to lead the team, because there are several players who like to think of themselves as "the boss" as well. And being England manager is a very ungrateful job. The press will always hype the team before tournaments, no matter if the team is good or not, and many will buy into that propaganda. Then, when the team fails to accomplish the high demands set by the press, the press starts firing flak at the manager.

I mean, should England go on to win the World Cup, I'm sure some papers will manage to play a "we shouldn't expect any less with so many quality players" campaign, and fail to give the manager any credit.

To be able to take on that kind of stuff takes a strong backbone. Capello seems like one who has got just that. I hope he stays in the job until the next World Cup.

Forostar said:
Well, let him first qualify with England for Euro 2012 and see how that goes, not?

I think he will have no problem with that. At least not bigger problems than any other manager would have with the same team. My point is that I think Capello is a good manager and that England should keep him even if this World Cup doesn't go too well.

Hahaha  :D Hilarious.

Funny that the guy joining in with "And MY VUVUZELA" is actually wearing an SK Brann scarf  :D I don't think we are going to see many vuvuzelas in their stadium, they have a very conservative support culture there  :D

How to sort out work today for the English that failed to book a time off when the fixtures came out. :D

_48146380_world_cup_options_466.gif

Albie said:
England need some of what Mr Blessed has been taking.

C'mon England. A potential banana skin, but I am hoping the result should be OK.

USA to draw with Algeria, Germany to beat Ghana and Australia to beat Serbia. I would absolutely love to see England v Australia in the last 16.

One of the comments on that YouTube link was cruel, but funny.  "World Cup Update 2 days ago; Portugal met North Korea, in Cape Town. Yesterday; Argentina met Greece, in Polokwane.Thursday; England meet France, at the airport".  I don't agree with it.  Slovenia is only good for a short spurt.  The English should win.

As far as your predictions.  I hope you're right, except USA should beat Algeria.  Seriously.  The African team has posed virtually no threat in this tournament.

Forostar said:
When the World Cup comes to Lord of the Rings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrv6_CUyF0

:D

Gandalf: You shall not play!
VuvuGuy: Oh no you ruined my vuvuzela.  [Pause].  No it's working. [Continues playing].

Classic.  :lol:

The English should come out hard and fast today. I mean, they have so much pressure on them, I would be shocked if they react in any other way. Obviously, I expect a win. Hopefully a big win.

I'm expecting (for the third game running) a huge game from Gerrard.

When he plays for Liverpool when of the reasons he's so great is that he is so good in backs to the walls situations. Whether it's scoring the third goal to make it 3-1 in the 85th minute when your team needs to win by 2 clear goals to take you to the next round or scoring the first of the 3 goals that claws them back from 3-0 down in the Champions League Final to winning it or scoring the equalising goal in the 90th minute of the FA Cup final from the best part of 35yards despite also having cramp at the same time.

Apart from all of that he's actually been, probably, our best player in the Cup so far. He played well in the first game and in the second he at least was visibly trying unlike so many others.

Those goals by Gerrard are beauties. 

My (new) favourite goal in the Cup so far has to be by Park Chu Young, the second goal against Nigeria from the free kick.  The way it curved down low making it unstoppable by Nigerian goalie Enyeama is a rare talent.  This is the only goal directly from a free kick in this Cup, if memory serves.

It's in the net, and given how England has played, they will take it.

The second series of chances was very good apparently.

Back