Official Football Thread

It's similar in Swedish, too, if I recall. The etymology of the term is probably Frisian. Anyway.

Nigeria is ranked 21, so I expect they can put up a fight. But I am not sure where the "cut off" for the elite teams in FIFA is.

In Norwegian, we say gåsehud (goose skin).

By the way, I like that in the beginning of Argentina vs Nigeria, I've heard cheers and singing that drown out the vuvuzelas from time to time!

Maradonna looks like he's having a great old time. A very excitable man, from what I can see. Argentina is doing very good, too, very dominant so far, only about 2 good strike attempts for Nigeria, and about 5 for Argentina.

Yes, this has been 26 very one-sided minutes. Unless Nigeria can get up the intensity in their defending, this could end up very ugly for them. Messi has been allowed to play through the other strikers more often than I've seen in any Primera Division games in 2010. I really don't think South Korea and Greece are going to have a chance against this.

PS; And right after I was done writing, Nigeria create their biggest chance so far. That was close.

PPS: I must be on the same wavelength as the South African TV producers: After Argentina's corner kick in the 55th minute, where the goalkeeper came out to clear the ball (but failed), I was thinking "that's some hairy goalkeeping". Just as I thought that, the producer focused on three Argentina fans with big, big hairdos  :lol:

Man, that Nigerian goalkeeper is one of the best I have seen in years. It definitely wasn't his fault that they lost.

Argentina looked kind of tired. They were certainly happy with the result, because Nigeria could also have scored. Nigeria had few but big chances.

I thought Argentina looked good and created a lot, with Higuain guilty of missing quite a bit, and their 'keeper playing a blinder. A bit dodgy at the back though, and Nigeria had their chances because of that.
South Korea were really quite decent, and it looks like they should be the second team through in that group.

Now Come on England!

RedRooney.jpg

Impressive shot-stopper, a bit lacking when it came to "owning" his area. Still, a good candidate for Man of the Match.

And yes, after Argentina blew that 4 against 2 chance, they seemed to lose the drive and let Nigeria into the match.

Now, off to the Three Lions pub for burgers, pints and England vs USA. I'll go with Nush and Albie and say come on England. No way i'm cheering for a country where they think "football" is a sport played with their hands.

Enjoy the match everybody! Especially Wingman's surroundings sound attractive. :)

*accompanied by the intro of Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath he said:*
But it's going to be tough, mark my words.

I got scared at the end, they were pressing a lot while the Argentines in deed they seemed tired...
Well, well the goalkeeper of Nigeria truly saw his share in the foot market taking the up.

I liked Messi a lot, but I would have preferred him score. Voila, that's all for the moment.
In Rugby England lost against Australia  :) but exactly after France lost against South Africa  :(
The pub was full of British flags, I'm considering to go there again, for the 3rd match, but it's a bit late...

Anyone noticed the similarities of some Argentina players with various music /show biz stars ??

carlostevez7.jpg
--->  
redhot265_canvas.jpg

32378.gif
--->
serj-tankian.jpg

LeoMessi-Botas.jpg
 --->
Roman-Polanski--C10039410.jpg

Run, don't walk! 

Ok, you all have me interested, so I just turned on World Cup Soccer to watch the game they are showing here.... USA vs England.

Ok, so what is all the fuss about, that I have been reading, about WAGs?  Something about the English Soccer teams Wives And Girlfriends being too distracting for the team?  Truth, or American bullshit?

Back