Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
...I also hope France go out after conceding at least one "handball" goal.
Another hope I have for this World Cup is that England beat Argentina, now that Maradona is in charge, as a little payback for his "hand of God" back in 1986.

Hands off from France & Argentina  :P

With Norway not participating, I get my World Cup thrill from handing out sympathies and antipathies. And of course from great attacking moves like South Africa's 1-0 goal today, and defensive bloopers like Mexico's equalizer  :D

OH CRAP. Uruguay's Lodeiro sent off after two bookings - and he came on as a sub in the 66th minute!

Eddies Wingman said:
I can see why you're pissed, Mexico were clearly the better team before half time and 2-0 would've not been an unfair score by then. That being said, I think RSA improved a lot after half time, and were maybe a little better over the last 45. But over the full 90 minutes I'd say, if this was a boxing match Mexico would win on points.

gulranek said:
@ Onhell - I agree with EW, Mexico played really well during the first half, but the early RSA goal in the second half kind of took them by surprise and they didn't seem as eager after that.

That's what I was afraid of, The African teams have INSANE conditioning and I was afraid they were just biding their time which seems to be what happened. They showed more patience and understood it is a 90 minute match.

Against other teams than Mexico, I would expect RSA to take advantage of the match being played at 1700 moh, but Mexico usually play their games in Mexico City, right? And that is also a city located well above sea level - even higher than Johannesburg.

By the way, there goes the final whistle and we have the World Cup's first goalless draw.

Two very good games today! I found myself cheering for South Africa over Mexico, and I am very pleased they got a tie. I was hoping Uruguay would pull out a win, but they should be happy with a draw as well.

LooseCannon said:
Two very good games today! I found myself cheering for South Africa over Mexico, and I am very pleased they got a tie. I was hoping Uruguay would pull out a win, but they should be happy with a draw as well.
What? The last game sucked pretty bad. A few decent chances but that was it.

If Mexico had had someone like Forlan up-front then they'd have scored 3 or 4, but a draw was the fair result for both matches I thought. France looked very average and unadventurous.

Eddies Wingman said:
I also hope France go out after conceding at least one "handball" goal.
Did you see Henry try to claim a hand-ball penatly against Uruguay? Shameless!

Will-I-Am said:
Yeah I thought about it. Very unlike to see this awesome south-American final. My predictions are more what I want to happen.
I'm a sentimental guy  :)

My alternative one is following your rule, though :
Merde alors!  :S

What ?? Nush made a prediction ?? *not forget to check*
You ?? Modified the prediction ?? *as above*

My modification was before before the World Cup started so that's 100% in order. You also changed something on time, but to me it sounded like you added something. Namely, you said "alternative". Which can mean: I have 2 different predictions, the 2nd not replacing the other. What I meant was, you have to keep one of them. :)

Is it the last one?

LooseCannon said:
Jonszat said:
What? The last game sucked pretty bad. A few decent chances but that was it.
Personally, I found that France/Uruguay game quite interesting. I thought Uruguay defended really well - but just faded somewhat in the last third. On occasion, they made some good moves going forward but rarely had enough people in the box to meet their mediocre crosses. And as Nush said, France were average.

Today three matches!

I am hoping for some African, Asian and North American spectacle (victory), even if that's in some cases not according my poll. Let me explain.

I have to admit something. I like some countries -which according to my predictions would go to the next round- less than countries which I didn't say would go through. In most cases I am always content: Either I deserve points (on my work I have the same predictions), either I am happy if some of those countries bite the dust.

Why do you think I let Spain win the final? Because if that happens, the only positive thing left in the world is this bunch of points.  :D

Hmm, OK. There was I willing to cheer on the Dutch. ;)

Any way, three simple words.....

[glow=white,2,300]COM[/glow][glow=red,2,300]E[/glow][glow=white,2,300] ON[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]              [/glow]
[glow=white,2,300]ENG[/glow][glow=red,2,300]L[/glow][glow=white,2,300]AND[/glow]

Hehe. This group is one of the exceptions. I'd like both England and USA to go through.
But my guess is that USA will end first, and England second.  Both will beat the crap out of their opponents in the next round.

Seriously, the US have done some great performances, also lately.

edit:
I admit that I said England will have an easy group but that was before I noticed some of the last prep-matches of the USA.

national acrobat said:
If Mexico had had someone like Forlan up-front then they'd have scored 3 or 4, but a draw was the fair result for both matches I thought. France looked very average and unadventurous.

The recent Forlán, yes. The Forlán of the Man United years, no way  :D Still, he made the scousers cry once, and for that he is loved.

national acrobat said:
Did you see Henry try to claim a hand-ball penatly against Uruguay? Shameless!

I had a good laugh at that one  :D

Speaking of hand-balls, we were playing football this morning, indoor five-a-side. I was the last man, with the ball, and wanted to clear it away since I was under pressure. The guy who was coming at me, got in the way of my clearance - stopping it with a boxer's guard. To be fair to him, he would've been hit in the face if he didn't take his hands up. But anyway: With his forearms, he got the ball in his feet and scored. I was of course appealing for a free kick (we didn't have a ref, so such decisions are usually made by furious discussion) - and we kept on discussing this topic once we finished playing. What do you folks think? Should a free kick be given if you use your hands to prevent the ball from hitting your face?

(Personally I think the only part of the body one should be allowed to protect that way is the family jewels)

Just watched that South African goal again and seriously: I get chicken skin from that on my arms (if you know what I mean). Fantastic attack, not only the brilliant shot but that whole combination was super. That pass!

Forostar said:
My modification was before before the World Cup started so that's 100% in order. You also changed something on time, but to me it sounded like you added something. Namely, you said "alternative". Which can mean: I have 2 different predictions, the 2nd not replacing the other. What I meant was, you have to keep one of them. :)

Is it the last one?

If you're ok with it I may make a final brand new one this night,  :innocent:
but if you think that is against our (unwritten yet moral) rules and /or unreliable, then I'll keep the first one

Round of 16 :
France, South Africa, Argentina, Nigeria, England, US, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Paraguay, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland

Quarter-finals :
France vs England
Netherlands vs Brazil
Argentina vs Germany
Italy vs Spain

Semi-finals :
France vs Brazil
Argentina vs Italy

Final :
Brazil vs Argentina

Winner :
Argentina

Eh sure, but you have been influenced by yesterday's matches.  :P
No, it's fine with me of course.

So, South Korea is leading already. 1-0 ahead vs Greece.
Rehhagel took out the captain who was complaining constantly on the field. In number 3, a defender.  Later he took out the 2nd captain, so Greece had 3 captains in one match. Unheard of on this level.

Greece lacked will power. Their defense didn't have any coordination. And they started the match too late.
The match really started at 13.30 CET, not at 15.00 CET.  :uhm:

The term you're looking for, in English, Foro, is goosebumps. Yes, the goal by the South African side was incredible! Both for its technical beauty and for the history of it - the first goal scored in an African-hosted World Cup by the World Cup Host. The crowd must have gone insane!

I only saw the second half, but I thought South Korea was incredibly disciplined and played a very good game. I like their style of attack first instead of be fancy, and it paid off for them both with a very good goal and several decent chances (including the one in the closing minutes). Greece also had some good chances but Korea's keeper was decent. I thought it was a good match and glad to see the South Koreans win one.

Any predictions for Argentina vs. Nigeria?

LooseCannon said:
The term you're looking for, in English, Foro, is goosebumps.

That's it! Ah well, you learned a Dutch proverb. ;)

I thought that the Greek players were lazy really. Only near the end they tried hard.

2-0 for Argentina, though I hope that Nigeria wins or at least a draw.
Until now my scores went wrong so don't pay too much attention.  :D

Back