Official Football Thread

Hmmm, in the pub it won't be possible, let's see if I can see it on net (with this fucking slow connection I doubt though  :mad:)

Wasted CLV said:
Ok, so what is all the fuss about, that I have been reading, about WAGs?  Something about the English Soccer teams Wives And Girlfriends being too distracting for the team?  Truth, or American bullshit?
A bit of both. In the last World Cup the England team took the WAGs with them and they were kind of blamed for our failure. This time some of the WAG's have come but they're not really talking to there Boyfriends and Husbands so we're better of this time theoretically.

(ok, weird, Wasted in the footy thread)... yeah, that was a harsh one, wouldn't wish it on anyone.  This is kinda fun to watch, tho! 

Ok, so that was the first time, ever, that I watched an entire footy match.  I enjoyed.  I'm sorry to the English that they dropped that goal, cause they played well. 

England really has bad luck with goalies -- and injuries.  Ferdinand, Beckham, and Owen have been injured, the latter two often in international tournaments.

I'm glad Greece lost even though I expected them to go through.  I'm still upset with their Euro championship win in 2004.  I just don't like their style of play and I don't think they'll make it out of the group stage now.  :)

@ Winger
27% of my town's citizens are of English background, so one would expect the English support to be common during international tournaments like the World Cup.  However, this is the first time that I remember in the last 15 years, that English fans proudly wave their flags from vehicles.  Italian and Portugese flags tend to be most common.

I must say, if England will be as dominant as they were in the first half, even with a few of their top players not really performing (Rooney, Lennon, Lampard - they were decent but nowhere near their best), they are really going to rock this World Cup.

if they can make just ONE of their goalkeepers play consistently good.

By the way, GREAT atmosphere in the pub, even right after the equalizer. Seems like all Englishmen in middle Norway, as well as everyone sympathizing with England, had gathered inside. We arrived 1:20 before kickoff, and the place was so full we were lucky to find a place to sit.

And while I'm at it; this pub are running a "World Cup burger menu", with one type of burger for every country. I tried the "Mexican" one, which was a 500g beast with a tasty hot sauce and salad. Great stuff.

Genghis Khan said:
@ Winger
27% of my town's citizens are of English background, so one would expect the English support to be common during international tournaments like the World Cup.  However, this is the first time that I remember in the last 15 years, that English fans proudly wave their flags from vehicles.  Italian and Portugese flags tend to be most common.

I see  ;)

Logging in (temporarily despite self-imposed exile until LA show, and avoiding the Maiden Chat board like the plague, though I'm sure the mods are doing a fine job keeping it scrubbed), to make a few comments about the World Cup, and the U.S.-England match in particular. 

1.  Steven Gerrard is really, really, really fucking good.  Part of me hopes he wins a Cup to cap his career. 
2.  Despite Gerrard's early goal, our (U.S.) back line looks solid. And Howard is terrific.  It will not be easy to score against the Americans. That said, I don't think the Americans will be able to score much, either.  No comment re the Green Gaffe, other than to say he had a heroic save to preserve the draw after Altidore abused Carragher. 
3.  Argentina will be fun to watch.  Their defense is ugly, Maradona is a maniac, but boy will they be able to score.  I'm not sure how far they'll make it in the tournament, but I'm making a point to catch all their games for as long as they are around. 
4.  Ruud Gullit is doing commentary for U.S. television, which is a contrived excuse for me to post the following regarding one of the Cup favorites.  (Sorry Foro.)

"There are two kinds of people I can't stand. Those who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch."
                          -Michael Caine in Goldmember:bigsmile:

Did Gullit say anything you don't like?

This is what I like about Gerrard. He said:

"It's one of them freak things.

"I don't think you can criticise the goalkeeper, people have been talking about the ball and its tricky and I’m sure he’ll play a big part later in the competition.

"It shocked us a bit but we expected to get on and win the match. I thought we finished the game stronger."

When asked whether Robert Green will remain as England's goalkeeper throughout the World Cup, Gerrard said: "Without a doubt, I’m sure hell learn from this and I’m sure he’ll play a part for us down the line and we’re all behind him."

Technically he just let it go too early. Way too early.

CBC's announcers are saying Howard's ribs were banged up during his injury in the first half, and he may not be back next game, but I've been told the Americans have quite a good backup keeper.
Slovenia just scored a softie on Algeria, and the announcer said that "It looks like that keeper has a bit of the Robert Greens".

I lol'd.

Back