Official Football Thread

Albie said:
I would be very, very surprised if the final did not contain at least one European side. Seriously, when was the last time a final was played without one? 1950. :smartarse:

Yeah I thought about it. Very unlike to see this awesome south-American final. My predictions are more what I want to happen.
I'm a sentimental guy  :)

My alternative one is following your rule, though :
Will-I-Am said:
France vs Nethrlands
Argentina vs Italy

France vs Argentina

France :)

Forostar said:
Will this be the one or the other? Not both. :p

Merde alors!  :S

Forostar said:
I am making some changes. Just like you and Nush, instead of Australia, I think Serbia will go to the next round.
My second change is a bit more "daring": Germany will not make it to the quarter finals. Instead: the USA goes through. Here my new (and final?) expectations:

What ?? Nush made a prediction ?? *not forget to check*
You ?? Modified the prediction ?? *as above*

LooseCannon said:
England vs USA is on at 2:30 my time :D
It was on at 4.30 a.m. where I was, so I changed time-zone.  :smartarse:

Will-I-Am said:
What ?? Nush made a prediction ?? *not forget to check*
You ?? Modified the prediction ?? *as above*
I did, and you commented on it...

Will-I-Am said:
Germany to beat Argentina ?? I don't think so, not that Germany!
I pretty much based my predictions on recent past track record, as my knowledge of world/international football really isn't that good. Germany always seem to do better than expected, and Argentina's stars often don't perform.

national acrobat said:
Germany always seem to do better than expected, and Argentina's stars often don't perform.
I agree. Just look at 2002. No one gave the Germans a hope in hell - but they reached the final. Never write them off.
I have not made my prediction as yet, but here goes for "Round of 16" only:

South Africa, France, Argentina, South Korea*, England, USA, Germany, Australia, Cameroon, Netherlands, Italy, Paraguay, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Chile.

*I have them in my office sweep stake.

national acrobat said:
I did, and you commented on it...

Will-I-Am said:
Germany to beat Argentina ?? I don't think so, not that Germany!

Ah, it was that post ?? Ok then, yes I saw it...

national acrobat said:
I pretty much based my predictions on recent past track record, as my knowledge of world/international football really isn't that good. Germany always seem to do better than expected, and Argentina's stars often don't perform.

Yeah but again... Spain ?? Based on past record, it won't go that far -Euro 2008 was really an exception

Albie said:
I agree. Just look at 2002. No one gave the Germans a hope in hell - but they reached the final. Never write them off.
I have not made my prediction as yet, but here goes for "Round of 16" only:

South Africa, France, Argentina, South Korea*, England, USA, Germany, Australia, Cameroon, Netherlands, Italy, Paraguay, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Chile.

Cameroon & South Korea are very interesting predictions  :)

LOL, that's how I've felt the last 10 posts or so. I'm a fan of international soccer, but I am not involved enough to know how strong/weak a country is.

All I know is Spain is very strong right now, Germany has been underrated for the last decade or so, what the African teams lack in skill they make up in conditioning and speed and my country always underperforms... ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!!!

LooseCannon said:
England vs USA is on at 2:30 my time :D

I'll get a chance to see this game and the Argentina vs Nigeria at 10 AM.  That's fabulous. 

I will have to skip work on June 25th to watch Brazil vs Portugal and Spain vs Chile. 

Anyway I hope to see the following in the semis: England vs Netherlands and Germany vs Spain.  Spain takes Netherlands in the finals.  Of course that whole outcome in not likely.
Eddies Wingman said:
Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon. (My intentions are of course to watch it in the local English pub - should be a good atmosphere there. Especially if England win).

I've never seen English flags flying around so much here.  EVER!

Will-I-Am said:
Yeah but again... Spain ?? Based on past record, it won't go that far -Euro 2008 was really an exception

A few reasons why I disagree. It's true about the past record, but Spain were always under-achievers, and seem finally to be able to turn talent into results. I think they're the only country with two truly world-class strikers (Villa and Torres). Their strength in depth is incredible: at the last Euros Fabregas wasn't a regular starter, yet is just about the best midfielder in the Premier League; England for example would kill for a goalkeeper as good as Spain's 3rd/4th choice keeper.

Genghis Khan said:
I have my St George's cross up all year round, so I just need to attach the small one to the car window now. I saw on the telly yesterday a feature about how people are painting their rooves red and white, getting the cross dyed onto the back of their heads, painting the car all over etc. but I'm not quite ready to go that far yet.

national acrobat said:
A few reasons why I disagree. It's true about the past record, but Spain were always under-achievers, and seem finally to be able to turn talent into results. I think they're the only country with two truly world-class strikers (Villa and Torres). Their strength in depth is incredible: at the last Euros Fabregas wasn't a regular starter, yet is just about the best midfielder in the Premier League; England for example would kill for a goalkeeper as good as Spain's 3rd/4th choice keeper.

Probably you're right... Not probably, in fact you've convinced me.
And what about your other predictions ?? England to beat France for instance  :innocent:

Well, England haven't had a reliable goalkeeper since David Seaman's first few seasons for them, so that's nothing new. David James is OK, but not one of the top 5 in the world cup.

I agree with Nush about Spain. Euro 2008 proved that they are now capable of keeping their good steam from the qualifiers. Usually they've been devastating in the qualifiers and then fizzle out, but now I can see them go all the way.

Genghis Khan said:

Where is "here"? You located somewhere in middle Canada? Do Canadians cheer for England in the World Cup? Why is that?

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, England haven't had a reliable goalkeeper since David Seaman's first few seasons for them, so that's nothing new. David James is OK, but not one of the top 5 in the world cup.

We still don't know who will be in goal for the first match, which is not a good situation to be in; at the moment Rob Green is the favourite I think.

So, your goalkeeper situation is just as fucked up as it has been for the last 8 years or so? That sucks.

As a Norwegian, I know exactly what it feels like - except our last really good goalkeeper retired 12 years ago (Frode Grodås) - and the last really great one (Erik Thorstvedt) four years before him. These days we have three candidates:

- Espen Johnsen. He was very promising, and was expected to take over from Thomas Myhre who was the one to take over from Grodås. But after the disastrous qualifier play-off against Spain in 2003 (where he played a fantastic away game, but conceded 3 at home, the last two directly caused by him playing on with a twisted ankle), he just lost it. These days he is back-up at Rosenborg, behind Daniel Örlund (Sweden's first choice).

- Rune Jarstein. He's been "up-and-coming" for a few years now, but has a shorter fuse than Wayne Rooney used to have. Two weeks ago, he pushed over an opponent in injury time, causing the ref to book him and award the opposition a penalty. His team, Viking FK, lost 2-1.

- Jon Knudsen. Probably the most stable one, but his top level isn't as good as the other two. He plays for Stabæk IF, who have three consecutive top 3 finishes in the league now.

Stupid work! Just saw the first half of the Mexico-South Africa game and I can't believe we dominated that well, alas no results except a voided goal. Now I'll miss the rest because I have to be a productive member of society, grrr.

Great move and great finish by RSA on that 1-0 goal. All in all an entertaining first game, promises well for the tournament.

But what the hell was their last defender thinking when Mexico equalized? The rest of their back four were obviously trying to play the Mexicans offside ...

And by the way, vuvuzelas are the work of the Devil.

I am PISSED. 1-1? pathetic. Granted I did not see the second half (damn work), but we were dominating well and to end in a tie? and having to come from behind?! Always the saaaame shit.

I can see why you're pissed, Mexico were clearly the better team before half time and 2-0 would've not been an unfair score by then. That being said, I think RSA improved a lot after half time, and were maybe a little better over the last 45. But over the full 90 minutes I'd say, if this was a boxing match Mexico would win on points.

I hope Uruguay wins today, France didn't even deserve to be a part of this World Cup. First time watching Uruguay, but I like their style, they had a few good chances thus far.

@ Onhell - I agree with EW, Mexico played really well during the first half, but the early RSA goal in the second half kind of took them by surprise and they didn't seem as eager after that.

Vamos Uruguay! Diego Forlàn is an old favourite of mine, after his infamous spell at Man United. I also hope France go out after conceding at least one "handball" goal.

Another hope I have for this World Cup is that England beat Argentina, now that Maradona is in charge, as a little payback for his "hand of God" back in 1986.

Back