Official Football Thread

England - USA I liked the best until now.

This current game is boring indeed, but I think it should change if one of the teams makes a goal.

When I heard Algeria had actually gotten two players back from suspension, one of whom had headbutted a referee, I too wanted Slovenia to win. But in my opinion, that was the dullest game so far - I actually think the first half between Serbia and Ghana was decent. Not many chances, but a high pace throughout. Both teams have lacked a little quality to create the big chances, but Slovenia and Algeria just didn't seem to have any interest what so ever in risking anything. The game had 0-0 written all over it after the first 10 minutes.

England-USA was good for an hour or so - the last 30 saw a US team who were satisfied with a draw, and an English team that had ran out of ideas.

I very much enjoyed the first game today, fairly unpredictable without too many decent striking chances. I did like the England-US game but I think RSA and Mexico was the best yet.

The last today is Germany - Australia. Looking forward to that.

And although the Serbian red card was dumber than Green's blooper, it was topped by the handball that gave Ghana a penalty and the win. What on Earth was he thinking?

I guess he was thinking "I don't want to win the World Cup today." Yes, Germany-Australia should be fantastic!

Edit: I realize Die Mannschaft are the big favourites but I am very much a fan of the Socceroos, I am always pulling for our Commonwealth friends!

Watch out for Australia's Tim Cahill, a fantastic player, especially at heading. I don't fancy their chances much tonight though.

I enjoyed the Serbia - Ghana match. Although Serbia were quite fancied pre-tournament to go through, they didn't look all that good and let themselves down with some really stupid fouls. Ghana are in a great position to progress now.

I still think Australia can make a fight out of it.

NY_NYP.jpg

Yeah, that's a real headline.

To be fair, it's still not a huge thing for Americans, Nush. But they are working on it.

Forostar said:
Did Gullit say anything you don't like?

No, I don't have anything against him or the Dutch -- it's just a hilarious line (note the irony and film, Foro -- don't take offense) and I can never think of the Netherlands without remembering that quote.  I expect to think it a lot because I think the Dutch may go deep in this tournament.  As for Gullit, he accurately predicted a 1-1 draw in the U.S.-England match. 

Back