Official Football Thread

Forostar, England vs Netherlands & Argentina vs Spain is  impossible to happen --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_ ... kout_stage
Below are some valid predictions  :P

Round of 16 :
France, South Africa, Argentina, Nigeria, England, US, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Paraguay, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland

Quarter-finals :
France, Argentina, England, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Spain

Semi-finals :
Argentina vs England
Italy vs Brazil

Final :
Argentina vs Brazil

Winner :
Argentina

*to be noted that the only team to ever won in a foreign continent was Brazil, 2 times : 1950 in Sweden (Europe) and 2002 in Japan (Asia)

Will-I-Am said:
Forostar, England vs Netherlands & Argentina vs Spain is  impossible to happen

I demand an explanation. I checked it this morning and I seriously think it's possible.

So, tell me man. :)

Avec plaisir  :)

In brief, until the finals only teams belonging to groups A, B, C & D can meet each other. And from the other hand we have E, F, G & H

So as England belongs to C and Netherlands to E, this is not possible. Netherlands can meet Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand or Slovakia who belong to F
and after Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland or any other team that belongs to G or H.

From the other hand, England can meet initially Serbia, Germany, Ghana or Australia that belong to D, after some team which belongs to A or B, like France, Argentina etc

Everything is-->here mate  ;)

:huh: shit I fucked up... I probably need to update my 'valid' predictions  :blush:

Ok sir, here's the updated list :

Round of 16 :
France, South Africa, Argentina, Nigeria, England, US, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Paraguay, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland

Quarter-finals :
France vs England
Netherlands vs Brazil
Argentina vs Germany
Italy vs Spain

Semi-finals :
France vs Brazil
Argentina vs Italy

Final :
Brazil vs Argentina

Winner :
Argentina

Looks like we're having the same countries in the quarters. We surely have different ideas about the outcome of those matches (apart from Argentina going to the semi final, for the rest we disagree in every aspect).

Forostar said:
They did that twice, in 1970 and 1986. Remember, in 1986 they lost after penalties from Germany, the country who made it to the final. In 1970 they lost from Italy, also finalist of that year. 

Both times we hosted hahaha, we should host more often :P

My prediction (assuming all the 'big' countries win their groups):

Round of 16 :
France, Uruguay, Argentina, Nigeria, England, USA, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Slovakia, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland

Quarter-finals :

France vs England
Netherlands vs Brazil
Argentina vs Germany
Italy vs Spain

Semi-finals :
England vs Brazil
Germany vs Spain

Final :
Brazil vs Spain

Winner :
Spain

Forostar said:
Me too. Absolutely. If (and I state if) all the big countries win their groups, England might have the least difficult route to those semi's. They can meet and beat Germany in the quarter finals, but before that the path looks relatively easy.
I agree, we have a fairly straightforward route to the semis. Starting on the 2nd day of the tournament means we should also get a couple more days to prepare/recover bewteen matches (if that would make much difference anyway).
Again we have injuries though, captian Rio Ferdinand has been ruled out.

Aaargh, our most important player (or at least the most dangerous striker) Arjan Robben is injured and won't travel tonight to South Africa. Big chance he won't make it. F*ck!

It happened in the last 5 minutes of the last practice match (in which he scored an awesome goal), can you believe that? And he did it himself.  :S

As a Dane our preparations has been terrible with two defeats against Australia and South Africa. We haven't even scored a goal yet - we are too much depedent on whether Bendtner is going to be ready to the match against the Netherlands :(

XoRRoX said:
As a Dane our preparations has been terrible with two defeats against Australia and South Africa. We haven't even scored a goal yet - we are too much depedent on whether Bendtner is going to be ready to the match against the Netherlands :(
Any team dependent on Bendtner is gonna struggle :P

Jonszat said:
Any team dependent on Bendtner is gonna struggle :P

When Bendtner is the star on the team, something is definately wrong...we do not have the stars we used to have (Laudrup, Schmeichel and so on).

Will-I-Am said:
I have an alternative plan :

France vs Nethrlands
Argentina vs Italy

France vs Argentina

France :)

Will this be the one or the other? Not both. :p

I am making some changes. Just like you and Nush, instead of Australia, I think Serbia will go to the next round.
My second change is a bit more "daring": Germany will not make it to the quarter finals. Instead: the USA goes through. Here my new (and final?) expectations:

Forostar said:
Last sixteen:
France, Mexico, Argentina, Greece, England, USA, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Cameroon, Italy, Slovakia, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Chile

Quarter finals:
France, Argentina, England, USA, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Spain

Semi-finals:
England vs Netherlands
Argentina vs Spain

Final:
Netherlands vs Spain

Winner:
Spain

Now that Drogba is injured, I don't think Ivory Coast has a chance of making it past Brazil and Portugal to the knockouts.  Too bad!  I was rooting for them in that group.
The teams I expect to come out on top of each group:
A -- Mexico, France
B -- Argentina, Greece
C -- England, USA
D -- Germany, Serbia
E -- Netherlands, Cameroon
F -- Italy, Slovakia
G -- Brazil, Portugal
H -- Spain, Chile

I certainly have a European bias here.

Will-I-Am said:
Final :
Argentina vs Brazil

Winner :
Argentina

Will-I-Am said:
Final :
Brazil vs Argentina

Winner :
Argentina

I would be very, very surprised if the final did not contain at least one European side. Seriously, when was the last time a final was played without one? 1950. :smartarse:

Just a little more than one day left to wait. 16:00 tomorrow (CET + summer time, that is) South Africa and Mexico kick it off. Two of the freshly graduated master students from our group are on their way there. Lucky bastards.

LooseCannon said:
England vs USA is on at 2:30 my time :D

Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon. (My intentions are of course to watch it in the local English pub - should be a good atmosphere there. Especially if England win).

Back