Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
Now, time to start looking forward to the World Cup. Still haven't decided what teams I'll root for, since Norway are not there.
One thing that I felt in Euro 2008 was impartiality. England wasn't there and so I could watch the games without fretting over what England had to do to progress. And I also watched both semis and the final which I tend not to.....when England bow out in the quarters! After England go, I loose interest.

Lets hope I'm watching at least the semi's this year. :D

You're surely going to see more than 3 matches. If England won't reach the next round in this supersimple group... I have to eat my shoe.

I'd love it of course but I guess I dare not look forward that much. :)

Still, I wonder if it's possible, have you checked if they can meet in an earlier stage?

No, I haven't checked the schedule at all. Of course, there's a good chance they will meet before the final.

Watching the news now, it seems Jose Mourinho is more or less ready for the job in Madrid. That smells of danger.

If both England and the Dutch win their respective groups - and assuming they both get this far - they will meet in the Semis. If Either one does not win the group but the other does, they will meet in the final.

And if both become second in their respective group? (kidding, Albie, kidding)

I just laughed my head off reading this practice match score:

Portugal - Cape Verde: 0-0.
What did I say??

I said:
Portugal (ranked 3rd), a home game vs ranked 117th in the world.

*laughs insanely*

national acrobat said:
Plus another funny, which I couldn't get in a decent size in the post.

Fucking hilarious  :D

Really looking forward to the World Cup now, despite the fact we're not in it.

Guess I'll sympathize a little with England (because of my friends at the Three Lions Pub here in Trondheim). It's run by an Englishman, as can be seen from outside the pub: They have a big England flag with the words "We still believe" in white, on the red cross  :D

Besides, England is the country outside Scandinavia that I've visited the most times.

And then I'll hope one of the African teams does well, along with some of the newcomers. Would be grand to see a first-time participating country go through to the 1/8-finals.

I watched England put in a woeful display against Japan a few days ago, which I think may be a godsend in dampening my expectations (considering we only have only one very good player).
As for who else I would like to do well, I'd enjoy a 2nd round meeting with Australia, but other than that I only wish failure for France and Germany. :innocent:

Mexico plays the inaugural game against South Africa!! Can't wait for it. For those in the U.S I HIGHLY recommend watching it the World Cup in the Latin Channels even if you don't understand the commentators they are definately more animated than their anglo counterparts.

Animated doesn't mean better :P I get annoyed by over excited football commentators. I'm the one meant to be getting excited - your job is to tell me whats happening :P

I love the different noises that different fans make when their team scores though. Us English seem to make this manly roar noise whilst it sounds like the Spanish shout 'OLAY' everytime they score :P

I will be one of those cheering 'OLAY', as I hoping for Spain to win it this year.  :)
I would also like to see Germany, England and Netherlands to go far.  I only wish bad luck on Italy and France, the latter because of the unfair way they made it into the finals.

national acrobat said:
I watched England put in a woeful display against Japan a few days ago, which I think may be a godsend in dampening my expectations (considering we only have only one very good player).
Historically, a bad pre-tournament friendly or two ended up with England doing quite well in that tournament itself. So, I'm sort of glad the performance was not so good. And England didn't really field their best team - by a mile. As the flag outside EW's local says, I still believe. :D

Realistically, I can see England getting to the semi's - just - but that's it.

Genghis Khan said:
I will be one of those cheering 'OLAY', as I hoping for Spain to win it this year.  :)
I would also like to see Germany, England and Netherlands to go far.  I only wish bad luck on Italy and France, the latter because of the unfair way they made it into the finals.

Would be nice to see France go out because they had a goal wrongfully disallowed, the referee thinking it was a handball  :D

Albie said:
Realistically, I can see England getting to the semi's - just - but that's it.

Me too. Absolutely. If (and I state if) all the big countries win their groups, England might have the least difficult route to those semi's. They can meet and beat Germany in the quarter finals, but before that the path looks relatively easy.

Most other big countries are going to have more trouble.

Shall we do some predictions?

Here goes:

Last sixteen:
France, Mexico, Argentina, Greece, England, USA, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Cameroon, Italy, Slovakia, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Chile

Quarter finals:
France, Argentina, England, USA, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Spain

Semi-finals:
England vs Netherlands
Argentina vs Spain

Final:
Netherlands vs Spain

Winner:
Spain

That would be an awesome final. I hate my country. My dad texted me yesterday that we beat Italy 2-1 in the last preparation game. There was nothing to get excited about. We lost against England and Holland, but we get all excited over beating the reigning world champ... in a preperation game. My mom and I were discussing how even though getting to the world cup is a big achievement in itself, Mexico NEVER amounts to much once in it. I think the furthest we've gone is quaters and that was when we were the host nation. Even in the last cup we were ranked 4th in the world and didn't do crap with it. We won the Sub-17 World Cup and those kids are now in the "big" Team and all we have to show for it so far is a win in the Gold Cup last year... a third rate tournament.

Don't be too hard on the current team man. :)

A lot of young guys, very motivated and talented players. They made it extremely difficult for the Netherlands, constantly attacking. I really expected them to score more. It was a good achievement to win from Italy, both motivated, participants!

Onhell said:
I think the furthest we've gone is quaters and that was when we were the host nation.

They did that twice, in 1970 and 1986. Remember, in 1986 they lost after penalties from Germany, the country who made it to the final. In 1970 they lost from Italy, also finalist of that year.  

Back