Official American Football Thread

I am glad the lockout is over, overall I really like the rookie cap, the big money contracts should go more towards the vets who have proven they can play in this league.  Beyond that, I really have no strong feelings towards the other issues.

I am planning on going to Chicago for the Dec 18th Bears/Seahawks game, I can go ahead and but my plane ticket now.

I've never been to a football game. Hopefully this year I'll be able to go.

Mosh said:
I've never been to a football game. Hopefully this year I'll be able to go.

It's fun, I went to a playoff game last year, which was pretty intense -- at least until it became clear that my team (and Wasted's), the Chiefs, were no match for the Ravens.  Have you ever been to a college game?  They can be even more fun, and can be less expensive.  I've been to dozens if not hundreds of college games, but only a couple of pro games.  What is striking is how small the pro teams are -- only 53 players per side, compared to college teams who sometimes have over a hundred players on the sidelines. 

I think I've been to a college game. I know I've been to an arena football game which was pretty cool.

@Cornfed, you are right, we went from one of the easiest schedules to a nasty one! Not gonna be an easy year.

College games are a blast! My work is taking us to see the Hawkeyes play Sept 3rd!

Pro games are so awesome, though...

College games certainly are a lot of fun, I had a chance about 10 years ago to go to a Notre Dame game, really cool to see that stadium.  It is an entirely different atmosphere than pro. 

KC picks up Steve Breaston!  I think that is a great move-- he is the type of guy that will keep defenses honest, with Bowe on the other side.  I was always amazed at how many grabs he had last year, with so little power at the other WR positions.  I think this gives KC a legitimate offense right now.  I still would love to pick up a nice CB or two in free agency (I see that Clements from SF is now free...)

Of note:  QB McNabb goes to MN-- another stab at a vet QB for the Vikes. Hm.
QB Vince Young without a team.... I'm thinking either Raiders or Skins would try this guy out.

Wasted The Great said:
KC picks up Steve Breaston!  I think that is a great move-- he is the type of guy that will keep defenses honest, with Bowe on the other side. 

I agree with you, I was very happy about the Breaston signing. 

The Patriots are making a splash with some big-name guys:  Chad Johnson/Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth. 

Also surprised that Vince Young, who is a starting QB with a 30-17 career W-L record, can't find a job.  He must be a real prick. 

Cornfed Hick said:
The Patriots are making a splash with some big-name guys:  Chad Johnson/Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth. 
Oh I hate that guy. I wish he'd stay in the Bengals though.

Wow, I didn't read that about Ochocinco! That is a killer move... He may be an ass, but he does have skill.

Yeah, I don't know what to think about Young. I still think someone will snap him up- but they'll want him for a steal.

I actually like Ochocinco.  He's not the player he once was, and he's a loudmouth, but he works fairly hard on his game and stays out of trouble with the law (unlike other free agents like Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Randy Moss).  And I like his TD celebrations -- though none can compare to T.O.'s Sharpie moment (after catching a pass for a touchdown, he pulled out a Sharpie pen that he had stashed in his sock, autographed the ball he'd just caught, and handed it to a friend sitting in the stands) which is one of my favorite football moments ever

I wonder if Ochocinco will get jersey #85...
Titans just cut Young, apparently because they were unable to trade him.  The scuttlebutt is that he may go to the Eagles as Vick's backup. 

That was a stellar moment! I remember seeing that one. And, doesn't Wes Welker wear the 85 in NE?
Oh! And did you hear the Vike's punter talking about McNabb and the '5' jersey? Said he would give it up if McNabb mentions his band in 5 press conferences! Haha!!

Young to Philly makes a lot of sense.  Philly got the cornerback they needed (Rodgers-Cromartie) in the Kolb trade and in my opinion upgraded their backup quarterback to a guy who will play more like Vick anyway, so they can keep the playbook if Vick gets dinged up.  Great moves by Philly.  They have to be considered a Super Bowl contender. 

Hey bearfan, thoughts on the Roy Williams signing?  There were better WRs available, in my view. 

Chicago sports radio is all over that one. Williams was Mike Martz's desire. I think he drafted him in Detroit, IIRC. They got rid of a great tight end and are picking up some Martz-style aerial players. 670 thinks that Martz is calling the player shots for the offense.
And I see both your points about Young. I really didn't think about that. I can't wait for some games!

WIlliams was not at the top of my list, but I think he wil do well next year, he had a good year with Martz in Detroit when he was the only threat in that offense.  I think he will have a good year.  Pretty much all the WRs out there seem to have some sort of flaw (Sims Walker is better, but he cannot stay heatly, plenty with character issues (Ochocinco, etc)).

He is not great, but with the possible exception of Knox, he is better than anyone we have

bearfan said:
plenty with character issues (Ochocinco, etc)

Hee, hee.  As I noted above, there is this perception that Ochocinco has character issues, but that's unfounded -- he really doesn't.  He's stayed out of legal trouble, unlike virtually every other big-name WR out there, and he hasn't really been disruptive in the locker room.  Did he clash heads with Mike Brown, the Bengals' owner?  Sure, but nothing like what Carson Palmer is going through now, and by all accounts Brown is the problem, not the players.  Did he get fined a couple of times for excessive TD celebrations?  Sure, and God bless him for that. Is he a shameless self-promoter?  Sure, but so is Peyton Manning.  And like Manning, Ochocinco is legitimately funny.  All in all, Ochocinco seems like a good teammate.  I think the Patriots pulled a major coup, even if he is past his prime physically. 
Unrelated point:  Is there critical mass for a Maidenfans fantasy football league?  I'm in a league with my college buddies, but could probably handle another.  Probably not enough folks: only bearfan, Wasted, Mosh and I seem to be posting here lately.  But can't hurt to ask. 

How would that work? I've never done a fantasy team, but I'd love to participate.

Well clip my nuts and call me Sally:  the Eagles signed Nnamdi Asomugha, the top free agent of the summer and arguably top defensive back in the league.  Good lord, the Eagles really are going all in for a title this year, aren't they?

Mosh:  ESPN.com makes fantasy football leagues pretty easy.  Each person would just sign up with ESPN and elect to join the Maidenfans league.  The draft would be the only challenge, but ESPN.com has options to cover whatever we want.  We could either do an auto-draft (using a draft robot algorithm based on people's stated preferences) which is suboptimal but at least that way we don't have to clear a couple hours at the same time, it's all automatic and rosters are stocked while we sleep one night.  Or, we could arrange a live (online) draft for some weekend.  ESPN allows either of those options -- it can be done electronically on the website.  Or, we could do it offline via conference call, which would be difficult to set up but also the most fun.  Then, you just manage your roster throughout the year (e.g., don't put Mike Vick in your lineup if the Eagles have a bye week or he's injured, that kind of thing).  You'd probably only need to visit the site once or twice a week - but you'll do it more.  Our real issue would be getting enough people.  Four is too few.  Ideally we'd get at least 8 people. 

Back