Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree that Flight of Icarus and Prisoner could have been played back then, especially considering we had no reason to believe they'd ever be played again in the future. But IMHO, Killers was the most glaring omission. This is the one Maiden song I'd still like to see live before I die.

Killers would have been a great addition to the set. I saw them play the song in 1999, so that might be the reason why I did not include it in my original post!

We can always go back to the live B-side that was released in 2000.

I don't like the way sometimes Maiden live leave out a verse of Killers and Where Eagles Dare, and sometimes shorten the intro of Revelations.

Killers would have been a great addition to the set. I saw them play the song in 1999, so that might be the reason why I did not include it in my original post!

We can always go back to the live B-side that was released in 2000.

The Ed Huntour B-Sides need more appreciation. Still my favourite versions of Aces High, Powerslave and Wasted Years.

A full show officially released from that tour would be spectacular. Hopefully there's one in the archives for a future box set.

The inclusion of Flight of Icarus this tour kinda signals to me that pretty much any song they played in the 80s is fair game. That was the one tune I never expected. With that in mind, I could totally see Killers, 22 Acacia Ave, or Stranger in a Strange Land coming back someday.

The inclusion of Flight of Icarus this tour kinda signals to me that pretty much any song they played in the 80s is fair game.

Not really. I do not expect them to play songs that were only played on an album tour back in the 80s.

It is worth mentioning that Flight of Icarus was a successful single, played at every show on the World Piece and World Slavery Tours. What is odd is that it has taken them 32 years to play it live again!

It's kind of weird we're talking about songs already once played by the current lineup (!) as being unlikely rarities. Maiden operates under some bizarre rules when it comes to setlist creation. It's hard to comprehend that they did a whole tour based on Maiden England and that era, but we got ATSS instead of Infinite Dreams or that SIASL was played a small handful of times in '99 and then dropped, Killers throughout that tour and never again and 22AA in 2003 and yet again not once since.

It's kind of weird we're talking about songs already once played by the current lineup (!) as being unlikely rarities. Maiden operates under some bizarre rules when it comes to setlist creation. It's hard to comprehend that they did a whole tour based on Maiden England and that era, but we got ATSS instead of Infinite Dreams or that SIASL was played a small handful of times in '99 and then dropped, Killers throughout that tour and never again and 22AA in 2003 and yet again not once since.

It also goes to show what a fantastic catalogue of songs they have seeing that they can create superb setlists without playing those songs. :)

Their love for their own catalogue is pretty hidden (or unexistent). Their love for popular overplayed songs in their catalogue is not.

Here is the list of songs played live since the reunion with Adrian and Bruce. Sure, some have been played much more often than others, but I would not say this is not showing love for their own catalogue:

1. Prowler
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Running Free
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Charlotte the Harlot
6. Iron Maiden
7. Sanctuary
8. Wrathchild
9. Murders in the rue Morgue
10. Another Life
11. Killers
12. Drifter
13. Children of the Damned
14. The Prisoner
15. 22 Acacia Avenue
16. The Number of the Beast
17. Run to the Hills
18. Hallowed be Thy Name
19. Where Eagles Dare
20. Revelations
21. Flight of Icarus
22. Die With Your Boots On
23. The Trooper
24. Aces High
25. 2 Minutes to Midnight
26. Powerslave
27. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
28. Wasted Years
29. Heaven can Wait
30. Stranger in a Strange Land
31. Moonchild
32. Can I Play with Madness
33. The Evil that Men Do
34. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
35. The Clairvoyant
36. Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
37. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
38. Fear of the Dark
39. Sign of the Cross
40. Lord of the Flies
41. Man on the Edge
42. Futureal
43. The Clansman
44. The Wicker Man
45. Ghost of the Navigator
46. Brave New World
47. Blood Brothers
48. The Mercenary
49. Dream of Mirrors
50. The Fallen Angel
51. Out of the Silent Planet
52. Wildest Dreams
53. Rainmaker
54. No More Lies
55. Dance of Death
56. Paschendale
57. Journeyman
58. Different World
59. These Colours Don't Run
60. Brighter than a Thousand Suns
61. The Pilgrim
62. The Longest Day
63. Out of the Shadows
64. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
65. For the Greater Good of God
66. Lord of Light
67. The Legacy
68. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
69. El Dorado
70. Coming Home
71. The Talisman
72. When the Wild Wind Blows
73. If Eternity Should Fail
74. Speed of Light
75. The Great Unknown
76. The Red and the Black
77. The Book of Souls
78. Death or Glory
79. Tears of a Clown

They showed a lot of love for newly released albums. Their discography is a bit more than that.
And discography is more than the obligatory (popular by demand, overplayed) material.

And "since the reunion" is a very long time.

Midnight Oil played 111 different songs in two tours (2017 and 2019).
I'd love to see Maiden throw more different stuff in their set.

edit:
That said: a constantly changing setlist would not be realistic for Maiden. They are a show band. The show leads. Not the desire to do more with the catalogue. Still.... there could be more room for more rare songs in the setlist.

Last edited:
I do agree that Flight of Icarus and Prisoner could have been played back then, especially considering we had no reason to believe they'd ever be played again in the future. But IMHO, Killers was the most glaring omission. This is the one Maiden song I'd still like to see live before I die.

This. Killers was the obvious choice for Early Days and Maiden England tours. It didn't get played on either.

I beg to differ. There were some fantastic songs played on that tour that had not been played live for a long time (e.g. Remember Tomorrow, Where Eagles Dare), but the encore was probably the most disappointing one since the reunion.

Running Free and Drifter are perfect songs for encores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back