NOW WATCHING

Kind of a weird film tbh. Granted, I’ve only seen it once, but it felt kind of devoid of life to me. Lotta rape and gloom and that’s about it.
Which version did you watch? There’s a US release with a runtime of just over 2 hours, and there’s the Europe release and extended cut that are around 4 hours long. I read that the US version was a flop because they rearranged the film and made it chronological.

Anyway, I think it’s a beautiful (but grim) gangster western about a conflicted man. The steady pace reflects his long life that begins on the streets of New York. He grows up with his gangster brothers until their relationship deteriorates. He defiles the woman who represented perfect beauty for him. A guy I’d like so much to be good does so much harm. And the film is pleasantly ambiguous in its structure, although I admit I started getting a bit lost during the last hour. America shows the ugliness of the gangster world in truly cinematic style.
And a special mention to the 1930s New York architectural shots. The streets, buildings and the bridge in the background look massive.

Which version did you watch? There’s a US release with a runtime of just over 2 hours, and there’s the Europe release and extended cut that are around 4 hours long. I read that the US version was a flop because they rearranged the film and made it chronological.
Oh I made sure to watch the full film as it was intended.

There is a lot I respect about the film, but it left me conflicted on one viewing, feeling shorter than I’d have expected based on the runtime and a little puzzled about certain choices. It’s definitely something to spin another day; I’d like to get my hands on the LaserDisc.

I'm re-watching Mulholland Drive by David Lynch. This movie has been ranked among the best movies ever.

If you haven't watched the movie and you want to, don't read the spoiler, first watch it and then read the clues from the link below.

Mulholland.png

It's kind of hard to unlock this movie, my first interpretation was that once Beth & Rita unlocked the box in the Club Silencio the two switched roles and that was it. Turns out it was more complicated than that.
This time I did some reading before, and found those 10 clues to unlock the film by Lynch, from DVD edition:

1. Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
  2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
  3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
  4. An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
  5. Who gives a key, and why?
  6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
  7. What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
  8. Did talent alone help Camilla?
  9. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
  10. Where is Aunt Ruth?

And then I found this url that explains in depth those clues.

Turns out Aunt Ruth /Beth /Diane is the same person. There's no switch between roles, first part until Club Silencio was a dream Ruth /Diane had right before she died. The movie is taking part in the 50s and this is one of the clues before the opening credits.
*There is an old joke in movie business, "acting in Canada" is being dead.

EDIT 1: A Mulholland Drive Explained video to be seen after the first watch and reading of the spoilers.

EDIT 2: An hour-long analysing video. The guy is very obviously a Lynch freak and his analysis just great. According to him, one of the films central themes is the casting couch, an euphemism for women "sleeping their way" and make it in the Hollywood.

Last edited:
Rush in Rio DVD

RushinRioDVD.jpg

Let me begin with saying that I loathe and look down at pretty much anything as far as Marvel/DC superhero stuff go. Except for Dave Batista, as I have a soft spot for him from his wrestling days.

So how come that I've been hooked on The Boys?

Back