NOW WATCHING

On Sunday I watched The Snow Society. I was really confused with the whole movie, because it's the story of the Andes survivors from 1972. My first thought was... isn't this "Alive?" Is it a remake? Can you remake a "true story?" What's going on? Well... What's going on is that this is based on a different book, what else, but "The Snow Society." According the the book's branding it is, "The definitive story of what happened back in 1972, For the first time the 16 survivors tell all." I told my brother, "So they held stuff back when they first told the story in 1972? I mean, we already know what they did to survive two and a half months in the middle of nowhere soooo.... what could possibly be new?

As it turns out... nothing. It literally is the same thing. HOWEVER, things that changed. In the first book and movie Fernando "Nando" Parrado comes out as the protagonist/hero. Others were criticized by the public as "weak" for having very understandable breakdowns. This movie does a better job of making sure there are no heroes or weaklings. Everyone is shown in a very vulnerable state at some point. So I liked that, the credit for the group's survival is spread around much more equally. Very powerful movie, I was in tears by the end, not so much because of what they went through, but the first book and movie are basically part of my personal cannon along with Man's Search for Meaning, The Alchemist and Into the Wild. I'm not going to say it was a religious experience, but it was definitely more than just watching a movie.

61RHfBsUIpL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just finished season 1. So far it’s very good grounded sci-fi that’s confined to our own solar system.
Finished up the series last night. The scope of it definitely expands over time (no pun intended), and I enjoyed it quite a bit, though the final season felt a bit rushed and incomplete, like they were holding out hope to get picked up for more episodes.

I might check out the book series after this to get the full story…

though the final season felt a bit rushed and incomplete
It was, but it's better than a (2nd) cancellation. Jeff Bezos is a fan so that's why Amazon picked it up after Syfy canceled it, and probably why it even got a final (but shortened) season.

Anyway, my favorite was Season 4, and 2nd part of Season 3.

Reactions: Jer
images.jpeg

The film follows Mike Enslin, an author who investigates allegedly haunted locales. Enslin receives an ominous warning not to enter the titular room 1408 at a fictional New York City hotel, The Dolphin. Although skeptical of the paranormal, he is soon trapped in the room where he experiences bizarre and frightful events.

1408 is a 2007 American psychological horror film based on Stephen King's 1999 short story of the same name. It stars John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson, was directed by Mikael Håfström and released in the United States on June 22, 2007.

Back