NOW WATCHING

I'm not sure if Im alowed to post this here but I would really like to share this symphony of Iron Maiden with you. I'm not able to open a new tread thats why I would like to ask someone else to do that.

This is the masterpiece:

Just saw Hush, a film I had been very excited to see after reading mostly great reviews about, but I only ended up getting thoroughly disappointed. Premise was clever, killer's mask was creepy, but the end result showed to be a wasted opportunity. Oh well.

fhd013RBS_Tom_Cruise_083.jpg

p048j5yf.jpg

2240.jpg

Been watching a lot of Lynch lately. Laura Harring, man...:rolleyes:. The ending of Mulholland Drive was bloody perplexing, just like the ending of Twin Peaks season two. I really enjoyed the series, although some subplots later on seemed to get unnecessary attention. Cooper and Audrey are my favourite, but the characters in that show are all top notch. Twin Peaks 2017 is now on my bucket list.

Oh, we decided to re-watch True Blood and possibly finish it this time. So far we're nearing the end of the 3rd season and it's much better this time around. There was some meandering in the third season, especially when they were all dicking around Edgington's house doing mostly nothing, but in general it's much less silly, much more funny and much more interesting on second viewing. Honestly, I don't know why.

Also watching Star Trek TOS, The Big Bang Theory (finishing the third season, soon I'll pass the point I stopped last time, a few years ago).

Also decided to methodically go through every episode of the Simpsons and South Park. Man, those first seasons of SP are... well... dispensable. Also, probably an unpopular opinion, but I really really don't like Simpsons' first season. The animation, the stories, the jokes... Honestly, I'd probably take even the latter seasons over that one. There are episodes worth it ("Some Enchanted Evening", "There's No Disgrace Like Home"), but overall it's just not that good and I absolutely hate "Moaning Lisa". So clichéd, so boring. "I've got the blues, y'know, like only bluesmen do" - well, so what?

And I think that's probably it. Wifey's decided to re-watch Grey's Anatomy, but I don't think I could stand it anymore. As one critic said

Why, no, I don't watch Grey’s Anatomy out of the corner of my eye ... and by no means do I mock that every episode ends with some patient croaking in melodramatic fashion during a montage set to Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" ("If I lay here.. If I just lay here ... Would you lie with me and just forget the world?") leading to perpetual basket case Dr. Grey offering a voice over with some sort of pseudo-philosophical Chinese-cookie-worthy life lesson that the doctors learned while botching their latest life and death surgical procedure ("You spend your entire life searching for a place to call home, and only when all seems lost do you turn around and realize, you’ve been there all along") and I absolutely totally don't mimic EKG flatline noises every time "Chasing Cars" comes on the radio.

Yeah, I promise I'll return to The Walking Dead soon - last time I lost my patience, but I'm willing to give it another try.

Next on my to-do list is Deadwood and Sons of Anarchy. Anyone seen those and willing to comment?

Last edited:
Okay, re-watched the first season of The Walking Dead today. This time around it went by much faster, I wonder whether the fucking farm stagnation in the second season will feel that way as well. Still hate Andrea and her whining and incesty subplot, still love Daryl much more than I should. I guess I might still complain about the general slow pacing, the static nature of the show and the fact they kinda have to resort to silliness to vary it a bit (even the very second episode had that with the titular guts, which... well, which might have been a "jump the shark" moment to many other shows by itself), but then again, I went in expecting that, because I had known it was to be a soap opera with zombies. And man, Lori. Maggie's still the best, but there's still some kind of strange quality to Callies that makes her stand out. Also, let me state that I really appreciate the effort the creators put into the series - it's one thing when you have one two-hour movie which you shoot, cut and release and it's an altogether different thing to keep up the end-times atmosphere throughout the live action series. Must be a producer's nightmare.

Also finished the third season of True Blood and began the fourth. I'm gonna miss Russell Edgington. Also, this is about the time I lost my patience last time (the fairy adventure in the 4th season opener was already a bit ... iffy) but on second viewing it still seems more tolerable so far.

Doesn't come through that much so far, at least in my book. I'm not saying the character's written that well (there are problems: I mean, it's one thing if you move on that quickly after you find out your husband is dead, I can kinda understand that given the stress and the duress... it's an altogether different can of worms when you then almost look disappointed when he turns out to be alive, that's some wicked shit), but I think the actress has a certain charm and she stands out in the group. In a good way, I mean. Even her motherly overreacting to Carl's drinking wine ("Eww", "Good Boy") kinda made sense and made me accept it, even though I'd probably hate that in a different character. It's the eyes, I guess. Anna Paquin is definitely not my type in any way, shape or form, but her Sookie on True Blood also has those eyes. Kinda make me care about a character I don't really want to care about.

That said, I don't think that if a woman feels more feminine and wants to hide behind man's shoulder (which, true, is what Lori kinda does so far) that's necessarily a bad thing, even in a post-apocalypse scenario - if I understood you correctly. Also, I'd take Lori's "dependence" over Andrea's "independence" any fucking time. I don't know how those characters evolve past the second half of the second season, though, so I might reconsider much of the above in the foreseeable future.

See, I always thought of her as remaining in the mould of pre-apocalypse suburban housewife. You could predict who was going to die off in those early series because they never moved on from pre-apocalypse world. Carol has the best character development, imo. She was mousey, bullied, subordinate, bordering on pathetic, and yet she became the survivor.. Glen has good character development too. He was a nobody who became somebody. Then there's those characters who were always going to survive longer because they were adaptable, practical, and weren't part of dull urban pre-apocalypse life to begin with - like Daryl and Maggie. Andrea (who I'm assuming you won't like any better this time :D) was like a failed attempt at becoming a future citizen. Maybe Shane too. He was tough, but way too unstable.

Okay, honestly, the second season of TWD is pretty shitty. I'm currently watching only the third episode and I'm already tearing my hair out. This whole 45 minute ep was all about how they're waiting for Shane and Otis and how Shane and Otis do their best to move, like, thirty yards. :facepalm:

I don't really care about the girl that got lost (I honestly don't even remember how she looked already, in fact, just now I even forgot her name and I'm too lazy to check it out), I think that the angsty intermezzos, while realistic, are really not that enjoyable ("myhy faaahauuuult"); I just want them to take Maggie and get on their way. Or just take Maggie, for that matter.

I still wanted to kick Andrea in the teeth for that suicide bullshit in the opener and I wish she let AmyAngst go, though she probably doesn't piss me off as much as the last time around. However, I think I can pinpoint the crucial difference why I like Lori (whom everybody in the fandom seems to hate) and hate Andrea - when Lori discusses with Rick the possibility of ending it all win this episode, it's much subtler and - like I said - Callies' eyes actually outright say she asks Rick to prove her wrong, even before she goes and says it. And she addresses it in a very good way, it actually makes you want to listen. Compare that with "I wanted to end it my way and you took it from me, you took my optioooon, boo hoo" Andrea's breakdown in the last episode (or the one before that?) and... well, okay, enough of that.

However, I'm adamant it will only get better from now on and I'm looking for "STUFF AND THANGS" and I wanna see if Jeffrey Dean Morgan's gonna pull off Negan or not, so I'll continue. I just wish the second season was already over. Oh, wait, they're gonna pull the zomber from the already contaminated well, aren't they? Risking Glenn's life in the process. When there are like 5 other wells around. :facepalm:

Oh fuck, they really fucked that up with this season. Sorry to all the fans. However, all series have their falls. I have managed to sit through the last season of Oz and the last 2 seasons of Dexter as well, so I don't see why shouldn't I be able to finish this one.

EDIT:
"Do you forgive me?"
"I'm tryin'"

OH F*** ME IN THE EAR AND WIPE THE NOSE, SOMEONE RIP THAT GREAT MUSICIAN TO PIECES ALREADY

I'm seriously tempted to look for spoilers whether and when will Andrea get killed so I can count down.

Sorry, if anyone's a fan. Really, really sorry.

Okay, maybe she'll go through a development and I'm gonna start to like her, I'm gonna give ye that, but with the pace the show has set so far such development probably won't come before the fifth season, so I'm not really holding my breath.

Last edited:
Okay, honestly, the second season of TWD is pretty shitty. I'm currently watching only the third episode and I'm already tearing my hair out. This whole 45 minute ep was all about how they're waiting for Shane and Otis and how Shane and Otis do their best to move, like, thirty yards. :facepalm:

I don't really care about the girl that got lost (I honestly don't even remember how she looked already, in fact, just now I even forgot her name and I'm too lazy to check it out), I think that the angsty intermezzos, while realistic, are really not that enjoyable ("myhy faaahauuuult"); I just want them to take Maggie and get on their way. Or just take Maggie, for that matter.

I still wanted to kick Andrea in the teeth for that suicide bullshit in the opener and I wish she let AmyAngst go, though she probably doesn't piss me off as much as the last time around. However, I think I can pinpoint the crucial difference why I like Lori (whom everybody in the fandom seems to hate) and hate Andrea - when Lori discusses with Rick the possibility of ending it all win this episode, it's much subtler and - like I said - Callies' eyes actually outright say she asks Rick to prove her wrong, even before she goes and says it. And she addresses it in a very good way, it actually makes you want to listen. Compare that with "I wanted to end it my way and you took it from me, you took my optioooon, boo hoo" Andrea's breakdown in the last episode (or the one before that?) and... well, okay, enough of that.

However, I'm adamant it will only get better from now on and I'm looking for "STUFF AND THANGS" and I wanna see if Jeffrey Dean Morgan's gonna pull off Negan or not, so I'll continue. I just wish the second season was already over. Oh, wait, they're gonna pull the zomber from the already contaminated well, aren't they? Risking Glenn's life in the process. When there are like 5 other wells around. :facepalm:

Oh fuck, they really fucked that up with this season. Sorry to all the fans. However, all series have their falls. I have managed to sit through the last season of Oz and the last 2 seasons of Dexter as well, so I don't see why shouldn't I be able to finish this one.

EDIT:
"Do you forgive me?"
"I'm tryin'"

OH F*** ME IN THE EAR AND WIPE THE NOSE, SOMEONE RIP THAT GREAT MUSICIAN TO PIECES ALREADY

I'm seriously tempted to look for spoilers whether and when will Andrea get killed so I can count down.

Sorry, if anyone's a fan. Really, really sorry.

Okay, maybe she'll go through a development and I'm gonna start to like her, I'm gonna give ye that, but with the pace the show has set so far such development probably won't come before the fifth season, so I'm not really holding my breath.
How many seasons have you actually watched to date, then? I thought you must have seen everything before and just be rewatching now. Tbh, the concensus is that the first few seasons, where they're establishing the basics of survival, were the best. The more recent seasons have the feel of just stringing things out for the sake of it. Although I do like the Negan stuff. He's an excellent character. I could happily have killed him myself.

I stopped mid-second season the last time, because the slow pace and nothing happening was excrutiating. Never watched beyond that, but I have some knowledge, thanks to net and memes and whatever.

I suppose the pace is fairly slow in the first few seasons. They do focus on character development, the survivors slowly gaining knowledge of walkers and other threats, and learning how to adapt and survive. Looking back at those episodes now, though, I find something quite charming about that.

The way you put it it sounds delightful. I wouldn't mind that, in general that idea is very good. Once again, I really enjoyed the first season, it was a great beginning and I think that everything you describe is there. But once they get to the farm the series stagnates terribly. Like I said, the third episode I just finished is almost completely devoid of almost anything, even character development or atmosphere throughout most of its first 40 minutes. The twist ending (cutting hair etc.) is cool, but again, it takes them almost ten minutes to show it in the end. I kinda get the feeling that after Darabont split, they didn't really know what to do next and meandered around a bit in the beginning, buying time in the process (that's a thing that happens quite often, so I don't really blame them). I don't doubt but they are going to get back on track, but almost everything in the second season could be shortened at least by a half. The farm and connected subplost could have been over in four or five episodes and I'd be okay with that. But it isn't.

Ah.....one thing you do eventually find with TWD, is that there's usually multiple subplots or hints of subplots, but often with a handful of plot dead ends and red herrings thrown in. They play on that a lot more as it progresses, until you get really paranoid and it turns into a 'who's going to die next' guessing game. But yes, if you want a faster-paced action series, TWD might not be the series for you. ;) I guess I look at the whole thing as being about meandering through a suddenly uncertain world, on the run from danger more often than not.

I only made it to the third season of TWD. Too much nothing and too formulaic for me.
Watching the new season of Voltron! On a side note, went to the local Lego store and found they had a Voltron model! Too bad it's 200 dollars lol, but I guess something to save for.

Watched Gremlins again, tis the season.

Back