NOW WATCHING

Too bad, buddy had hopes for you liking it. I enjoyed it very much. Had a nice desperate tone to it, especially towards the end.
Finished watching the remaining episodes just there...

I found the whole Hickey (character) & Tuunbaq story-arc a bit of a disappointment overall. Great acting, but Hickey was (I assume deliberately) portrayed as a man out of place/time i.e. different from the rest (behaving & acting, talking & looking). I just didn't find the character portrayal in keeping with the rest of the performances. I mean, he looked kind of modern in appearance & out of place. Tuunbaq's various incursions into the story (& crew's world) was seemingly without purpose; or at least there was no single reason suggested for the beasts presence within the story (altho' several interpretations obviously suggest themselves.) Still think the supernatural/mythical element was poorly handled & executed (as it may have been, too, in Dan Simmons' book). However, throughout (& more so towards the end) there were some fine moments portraying the bleakness of both the environment they were battling & their general situation. Those moments felt too brief (maybe they were just right?) but still lifted my overall opinion of the series. The ending was particularly striking.

51PNb5efQnL.jpg

Might not have as big a claim to be a Christmas film as the first, but it's still set at Christmas, so to me, it counts. :p
Maybe I’ll watch this one Christmas Day. :p Only saw it once but I liked it a lot despite it being merely a sequel for sequel’s sake. Big action stuff, blew a fucking British plane up, holy hell. Stakes loaded, great stuff.

Maybe I’ll watch this one Christmas Day. :p Only saw it once but I liked it a lot despite it being merely a sequel for sequel’s sake. Big action stuff, blew a fucking British plane up, holy hell. Stakes loaded, great stuff.

It used to be my favourite Die Hard, but I've gone back to preferring the original recently. Think it stripped away some of McClane's vulnerability and veered a bit more into ridiculous action territory, but it's much better than people say. Definitely worth a second watch!

It used to be my favourite Die Hard, but I've gone back to preferring the original recently. Think it stripped away some of McClane's vulnerability and veered a bit more into ridiculous action territory, but it's much better than people say. Definitely worth a second watch!
Thoughts on the other three? I liked them, but the fifth got boring in a lot of areas and was the only one I actually had to pause at moments. Three and four were good with some great stuff going on IMO.

Thoughts on the other three? I liked them, but the fifth got boring in a lot of areas and was the only one I actually had to pause at moments. Three and four were good with some great stuff going on IMO.

Yeah 3 and 4 (or 4.0, whatever you want to call it :p) are pretty great. I think three is the funniest of them all, I like the buddy cop feel and Jeremy Irons is obviously brilliant. Four probably strays the furthest away from what Die Hard "is" - that was where McClane goes full invincible action hero - but like you say it's got some great things going on. I don't think Timothy Olyphant gets enough credit for his villain, I like him a lot. That was one of the first action films I ever watched so I have a bit of nostalgia towards it. Never seen five, by all accounts I'm not missing much, but I'll watch it if it comes up on Netflix or something just for completion's sake.

Speaking of this has reminded me of an article I read one April Fool's Day. It said that the original script of Die Hard had McClane as a pacifist who wouldn't touch guns, so he fought the terrorists with katanas that were on display in the Nakatomi building. :lol:

That film is so great, and the German voice actors are some of the best... ever. They're distinctive, they fit each of the characters, it's bliss and I'd say it's better than the original English-language version. I was surprised at how well it holds up, too. It's really hilarious in places and quite heartfelt in others. It's the perfect Christmas special.

My bad. I’m much better at understanding (and speaking, to a lesser extent) German than I am at writing in it. :oops:

Finally got around to watching Venom and Apostle. I enjoyed them both very much. Didn't know what to expect with Venom, as I know little of comic book characters outside of what I read here and my nerdy friends tell me. I was under the impression that he is a villian, but here he is presented as an anti-hero. It was a fun ride.

Apostle was very enjoyable. Reminded me a lot of the original Wicker Man. It was like the Wicker Man meets the Village with a supernatural element.

Finally finished The Wire...

- Lester Freamon for President, Gus for VP
- series needed more Beadie, Cutty, & Prez
- can’t wait to restart GOT so I can watch Carcetti get what he deserves

A1t8xCe9jwL._SY679_.jpg

Another pressie. Will it be as good on a second watch and after all the hype has died down? Let's see.

Back