NOW WATCHING

Been watching a lot of random stuff from Canadian Show Kids in the Hall. It’s great and I’m surprised I never found it earlier.

Been watching a lot of random stuff from Canadian Show Kids in the Hall. It’s great and I’m surprised I never found it earlier.

LOVE that show! One of them ended up on another good show, News Radio with Phil Hartman and a stomachable Andy Dick.

the-endless-aaron-moorhead-justin-benson.jpeg

>

33213_TheTerror_WhatHappened.jpg

>

I only watched Episode 1, but will ceratinly be watching the rest of Season 1 in a bit. Looks & feels like it's going to be full of great atmosphere, which bodes well...
It is very good, I ended up watching the entire series twice.
How far are you into The Terror?
PS Cornelius Hickey was great!

I loved The Terror. Post here when you're done, @CriedWhenBrucieLeft.
It is very good, I ended up watching the entire series twice.
How far are you into The Terror?
PS Cornelius Hickey was great!
I've watched up to EP7. The early promise has sort of panned out into something a bit less interesting to be honest.

Taken in the context of the whole series (with the qualifier that I haven't finished watching it yet) the Tuunbaq supernatural/mythical element, in a fictionalised rendering of real events, seems stangely (& this is for me too, since it could have worked) out of place. For me, it kind of killed most of the serious tone & atmosphere the drama (admittedly a fairly normal "historical" drama) had developed over the first few episodes; its visual handling being standard movie fare with no interesting aspect to its appearance (both visually & in terms of plot). In my opinion, more subtlety & suggestion was needed to handle this element. The Hickey story, also, seems quite incongrous to the tone & plot too if I'm being honest; even taking into account where it's going & the historical element it's trying to explain/develop. Other elements also feel kind of stock-handled. An Irishman you say? Must be an alcoholic. Obviously Jared Harris is still great in it. I'm not sure if it was for budget or aesthetic reasons, but the "stage" feel to the visuals (i.e. the winter scenes aren't outside or CGI most of the time) is a choice that I could certainly support. But it genuinely isn't clear if this was a deliberate choice or whether they just didn't have the budget to make it look any better; it was kind of a fudge between the two, neither one or the other...

It's been decent so far though. The pacing is good, I've liked the acting, and obviously the historical story itself is interesting. I'm not sure what my expectations were before watching it.

Last edited:
51PNb5efQnL.jpg

Might not have as big a claim to be a Christmas film as the first, but it's still set at Christmas, so to me, it counts. :p

Last edited:
I've watched up to EP7. The early promise has sort of panned out into something a bit less interesting to be honest.

Taken in the context of the whole series (with the qualifier that I haven't finished watching it yet) the Tuunbaq supernatural/mythical element, in a fictionalised rendering of real events, seems stangely (& this is for me too, since it could have worked) out of place. For me, it kind of killed most of the serious tone & atmosphere the drama (admittedly a fairly normal "historical" drama) had developed over the first few episodes; its visual handling being standard movie fare with no interesting aspect to its appearance (both visually & in terms of plot). In my opinion, more subtlety & suggestion was needed to handle this element. The Hickey story, also, seems quite incongrous to the tone & plot too if I'm being honest; even taking into account where it's going & the historical element it's trying to explain/develop. Other elements also feel kind of stock-handled. An Irishman you say? Must be an alcoholic. Obviously Jared Harris is still great in it. I'm not sure if it was for budget or aesthetic reasons, but the "stage" feel to the visuals (i.e. the winter scenes aren't outside or CGI most of the time) is a choice that I could certainly support. But it genuinely isn't clear if this was a deliberate choice or whether they just didn't have the budget to make it look any better; it was kind of a fudge between the two, neither one or the other...

It's been decent so far though. The pacing is good, I've liked the acting, and obviously the historical story itself is interesting. I'm not sure what my expectations were before watching it.

Too bad, buddy had hopes for you liking it. I enjoyed it very much. Had a nice desperate tone to it, especially towards the end.

Back