NOW WATCHING

I'm actually not a cinema guy (and i hate that fact) and been to a cinema only two times in my life  :innocent: So I don't have a good cinema culture.

Just watched Philadelphia for the second time. Great movie with great musical stuff and damn that powerless look by Tom Hanks. And the opera scene. What a perfect explanation to music, he was just feeling it.

The Flash said:
Just watched Philadelphia for the second time.

I remember watching that movie like 10-12 years ago and thinking... "and?" Very powerful movie for it's time, but by the time I saw it I was like, "So he's gay, big freaking whoop." Might explain why it has faded from pop culture consciousness.

Oh I've heard of that. I think it was more about AIDS awareness, and not discriminating gays.

Mosh said:
Oh I've heard of that. I think it was more about AIDS awareness, and not discriminating gays.

No, it absolutely was about homophobic discrimination. The main character was rent asunder from his job because he admitted getting AIDS. Yes, it's partially about AIDS - but mostly, it uses AIDS as a vehicle to show us that gay people are people too.

LooseCannon said:
No, it absolutely was about homophobic discrimination. The main character was rent asunder from his job because he admitted getting AIDS. Yes, it's partially about AIDS - but mostly, it uses AIDS as a vehicle to show us that gay people are people too.
Sorry I was misleading, I meant it was about not discriminating gays as in you shouldn't discriminate them.

EDIT: Also, I haven't seen the movie yet. But I want to.

Forostar said:
Not exactly a topic to say "and?" or "big freaking whoop" about.

I don't think you get it Foro. I didn't think Hank's Character being gay was a big deal. Shows the generational gap and general acceptance towards the GLBT community from the time the movie was made to the time I saw it years later. I thought the people who fired him were narrow minded idiots for no reason. THAT is why I said "and" and "big freakin' whoop." By the time I saw the movie I personally felt addressing that subject was pointless.

Saw Horrible Bosses yesterday, not as good as Office Space (though I am not sure why people are trying to compare it to Office Space, beyond the fact part of it takes place in an office), but it was a pretty good movie, had some really funny parts.  A good stupid comedy.

Saw Bad Teacher yesterday. Really funny movie though not everyone's brand of comedy. I was the only person in the theater cracking up and there were parts where I kept thining, "why are people not laughing?" for example
Diaz's character plays movies every class, because she doesn't care about teaching obviously, at one point in the movie they begin to play Gangsta's Paradise, they cut to her classromm and they are watching Dangerous Minds, then they cut to her walking out of school and her "rival" the goody-two-shoes teacher, Amy, is breaking a pinata with some students. After she breaks the pinata she raises her blind fold up to her forehead and it looks like she belongs in a gang... subtle, but I was cracking up.

You don't learn any lessons, nobody has huge epiphanies, but it is raunchy good fun.

Rented The Town Last night to compare it to the Movie. I knew it wasn't going to be as good as the book, but I wasn't expecting it to be as shallow and quicked paced as it was. I also didn't like the fact that they were involved in so many gun fights and car chases with the police. The book was more cat and mouse... the FBI just on their heels until the very end. Ok movie, makes the major point, but fails at all others, specially making you give a shit about the characters, including the lead.

Just started watching Harry Potter film series with the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for the first time. I actually saw the first movie when I was 6, but found it boring. (being a 6 year old and not liking Harry Potter, that's new ha ?  :bigsmile:) My age group likes this series so much, I'm going to find whether it's that good or it's just overrated.

Everyone around me likes this movie, not knowing anything about it is sad. :D

Harry Potter films are more like trailers for Harry Potter books. Harry Potter books are much better and more detailed than their respective movies.

Night Prowler said:
Harry Potter films are more like trailers for Harry Potter books. Harry Potter books are much better and more detailed than their respective movies.

I know that but I haven't seen any of the movies nor have I read any of the books, so it's all new to me.
Finished the first one, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Nice movie. Never gets boring but first part of the movie is like an introduction, the story begins in the second part. The chase of the Philosopher's Stone, good decisions in hard times. From what I know, Harry Potter's main idea is "Make good decisions in hard times and never lose your focus."

I'd give it 8.3/10.

The Flash said:
My age group likes this series so much, I'm going to find whether it's that good or it's just overrated.
That's because the first came out when we were younger, and we've grown up with those movies coming out. I can't imagine now there being no HP books or movies now as I've gotten used to that over the years. I also think it's the only series that has consistently been updating for that long. That said for the first 4 movies I saw them in theaters and it was cool watching them evolve over the years, so it might not be the same watching it all at once.

I've never seen what is the big deal over Harry Potter, even when younger I've found it complete and utter crap. But then again, many think the same about Star Wars, so I'm not one to talk I guess :D

Back