NOW PLAYING

I know the resident Jansenists (especially @MrKnickerbocker ) will try to kill me for this blasphemy, but... I think I actually prefer Anette here as well?

I already wrote about Amaranth and about how Anette's voice, being more airy, light and ... well, acrobatic, even, makes more sense in the chorus there, with the vocal staccato jumps, whereas Floor's heavier, more fluid approach make the song lose a bit of its charm and effectiveness.

It's not like that here, but the first verses and chorus... I don't know, without the shrill, jingly tone I'm accustomed to it just does very little for me. Floor's darker tone make it feel ... somewhat slower, less energetic? Paradoxically, less elegant, maybe? Especially with the transition to the chorus ("Take me hoooome...") it absolutely fails to thrill me as the original did, I realised.
With the third part, I agree that Floor's tone is generally "nicer" (Anette was almost a bit unpleasant in these soft highs), but ... I don't know, I guess it loses some part of its identity for me. Sorry.

EDIT: Feels a bit like a Kate Bush song covered by Marco, that's probably the simile I was searching for. Whether that's your thing or isn't, well..

I wonder not only what resident power-metal afficionados (@KidInTheDark666 ) think of this - it was, along with the first part, among my first power metal albums ever (mainly because it was recently released then.... fuck, I feel old), but I'm talking more about how Tobias thinks that the first two Avantasia albums are bad and not really expressing his true vision and about how I think that's bollocks and that he's being absolutely silly and mainly just self-conscious, because he knows he won't write a thing like this ever again... I mean, just recently on Reddit I saw it was enough for someone to just write the first line and everyone participated

WE ARE THE SEVEN
JUDGEMENT OF HEAVEN
WHY DON'T WE KNOW
WE ARE THE ANGELS
IT'S REVELATION

Eh, *coughs*, sorry, back to business.

I'm also interested in what the resident Steinman afficionados (well, I guess that's mainly just @Diesel 11 ), think of this, mainly the part from 8:55 onwards, which truly sounds like it came straight from Bat out of Hell.

P. S. - the singers are Tobias Sammet, Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Andre Matos, Timo Tolkki, David DeFeis, Rob Rock and Oliver Hartmann, which just makes me feel overwhelmed with nostalgia all over again.

I wonder not only what resident power-metal afficionados (@KidInTheDark666 ) think of this - it was, along with the first part, among my first power metal albums ever (mainly because it was recently released then.... fuck, I feel old), but I'm talking more about how Tobias thinks that the first two Avantasia albums are bad and not really expressing his true vision and about how I think that's bollocks and that he's being absolutely silly and mainly just self-conscious, because he knows he won't write a thing like this ever again... I mean, just recently on Reddit I saw it was enough for someone to just write the first line and everyone participated

WE ARE THE SEVEN
JUDGEMENT OF HEAVEN
WHY DON'T WE KNOW
WE ARE THE ANGELS
IT'S REVELATION

Eh, *coughs*, sorry, back to business.

I'm also interested in what the resident Steinman afficionados (well, I guess that's mainly just @Diesel 11 ), think of this, mainly the part from 8:55 onwards, which truly sounds like it came straight from Bat out of Hell.

P. S. - the singers are Tobias Sammet, Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Andre Matos, Timo Tolkki, David DeFeis, Rob Rock and Oliver Hartmann, which just makes me feel overwhelmed with nostalgia all over again.
Oh, this is definitely a cool track, even if it wanders perhaps a bit too far into the opera territory for my taste. The usage of different vocalists and their strengths is what makes Avantasia such a great project, along with Toby's writing of course. The Metal Opera II is one of my less listened-to Avantasia albums, but I wasn't aware of Mr. Sammet's comments. I'll have to give the first two albums another spin soon but as of now I don't really see or hear what exactly Toby thinks is bad about them.

but I wasn't aware of Mr. Sammet's comments. I'll have to give the first two albums another spin soon but as of now I don't really see or hear what exactly Toby thinks is bad about them.

Oh, I think it's mainly because right after he moved on and left the "old-school" power metal a bit behind, going more in the... whatever the latter day Avantasia is ... direction.

And of course he wants to support mainly the stuff he does now, I get it, but in the power metal circles, the first two albums are indeed among the most beloved. Part of that is probably nostalgia, but also... well, I like Avantasia as a whole, but nothing thrills me quite as much as the first two albums, to be honest.

But then again, concerning power metal, I'm a very rigid 00s nostalgia bitch. It's the music of my youth, of the era when Lord of the Rings was in cinemas (and was a thing), of the early years of Maiden reunion... and it rules my heart supremely.

NP:

Somebody made a mix of Floor and Tarja together. Make of it what you will.

I know the resident Jansenists (especially @MrKnickerbocker ) will try to kill me for this blasphemy, but... I think I actually prefer Anette here as well?

I already wrote about Amaranth and about how Anette's voice, being more airy, light and ... well, acrobatic, even, makes more sense in the chorus there, with the vocal staccato jumps, whereas Floor's heavier, more fluid approach make the song lose a bit of its charm and effectiveness.

It's not like that here, but the first verses and chorus... I don't know, without the shrill, jingly tone I'm accustomed to it just does very little for me. Floor's darker tone make it feel ... somewhat slower, less energetic? Paradoxically, less elegant, maybe? Especially with the transition to the chorus ("Take me hoooome...") it absolutely fails to thrill me as the original did, I realised.
With the third part, I agree that Floor's tone is generally "nicer" (Anette was almost a bit unpleasant in these soft highs), but ... I don't know, I guess it loses some part of its identity for me. Sorry.

EDIT: Feels a bit like a Kate Bush song covered by Marco, that's probably the simile I was searching for. Whether that's your thing or isn't, well..
I completely understand your points.

However, Floor sounds amazing on the song and I’d much rather hear her vocals in a live setting.

I already wrote about Amaranth and about how Anette's voice, being more airy, light and ...
^ I don't like her voice in the verses of this song (and in ''Bye Bye Beautiful''), but I like it in the chorus. She is a better singer nowadays imo. For me, her best performances with the band are in the two big classics from that era: ''Last Ride Of The Day'' and ''Storytime''. Amazing songs! Top 10 songs!

Btw, ''Bless The Child'' is classic Nightwish!

Closest Maiden song to sound like double bass without being it. The sound, theme and feel are massive; like coming out of Powerslave 16 years later. Mariner's loose follow up saga.

Massive first listen too. The Wicker Man, good song but no big surprises. Then enters the opening mesmerising riff from Janick like an eternal deja vu and jaws start to drop. Then the heavy riff and the illusion of double bass. An instant classic!

Closest Maiden song to sound like double bass without being it. The sound, theme and feel are massive; like coming out of Powerslave 16 years later. Mariner's loose follow up saga.

Massive first listen too. The Wicker Man, good song but no big surprises. Then enters the opening mesmerising riff from Janick like an eternal deja vu and jaws start to drop. Then the heavy riff and the illusion of double bass. An instant classic!

Closest Maiden song to sound like double bass without being it? ''The Wicker Man'' (during the chorus) and maybe something from SIT. ''Ghost Of The Navigator'' is another example, yes. I agree with everything you said about the song.

Closest Maiden song to sound like double bass without being it? ''The Wicker Man'' (during the chorus) and maybe something from SIT. ''Ghost Of The Navigator'' is another example, yes. I agree with everything you said about the song.

SIT has the best drums work in the catalogue, there are some diamond moments there. The only one time they used double bass (Face in the Sand) result is boring and uninspired.

Judas Priest - Redeemer Of Souls & Firepower mixed playlist:

Dragonaut
Redeemer Of Souls
Halls Of Valhalla
Sword Of Damocles
Down In Flames
Secrets Of The Dead
Battle Cry
Beginning Of The End
Firepower
Lightning Strike
Evil Never Dies