Machine Men
Flight Of Icarus
Moonchild
The Ghost Of Cain
Back In The Village
Reach Out
Road To Hell
The Writing On The Wall

All are great songs! Only one epic is missing.

Great list, but Reach Out is not a Smith/Dickinson song. ;)

In fact, there is more Smith/Dickinson on any Smith/Dickinson/Harris song than on Reach Out. :)

Just like every sane person, I too have had a serious Gary Moore phase in the past and I still hold a spot for him in my heart, but offensive as this may be to some, I started to believe that this is the better version, or at least I prefer it, definitely.
Partially it might be because it lacks the terrible 80s production of the original, which unfortunately sounds as if Moore played to us from the depths of some digital arse, but it's also because of her. She has a certain aura that can never be repeated.

And... heck, I shouldn't be saying this, being a married Catholic and all, but man, she is hot as fuck.

Considering the fact Emppu is usually more of a mascot than an actual guitarist, I actually find his solo surprisingly effective.

Last edited:
Great list, but Reach Out is not a Smith/Dickinson song. ;)

In fact, there is more Smith/Dickinson on any Smith/Dickinson/Harris song than on Reach Out. :)
I know, that's why it's in italic. I just needed a duet and a song with the SIT production feel (since we don't have a Smith/Dickinson song from 1986). Great song. ''The Prisoner'' also sounds like a Smith/Dickinson song (we know that Bruce co-wrote some songs in TNOTB album). Or ''Gangland''? ''The Wicker Man'' too. I'm not sure about ''Face In The Sand''/''New Frontier'', ''Lord Of Light'' and ''Coming Home''.

The Smith/Dickinson/Harris combo is another ''beast'' full of classics!
Just like every sane person, I too have had a serious Gary Moore phase in the past and I still hold a spot for him in my heart, but offensive as this may be to some, I started to believe that this is the better version, or at least I prefer it, definitely.
Partially it might be because it lacks the terrible 80s production of the original, which unfortunately sounds as if Moore played to us from the depths of some digital arse, but it's also because of her. She has a certain aura that can never be repeated.

Considering the fact Emppu is usually more of a mascot than an actual guitarist, I actually find his solo surprisingly effective.
I also like the cover better. It sounds like a Nightwish own song (it reminds me of their great instrumental ''Moondance''). I agree about Tarja. About Emppu, he is a very good melodic guitarist, unfortunately their latest album feels like without him. His solo on my favorite Nightwish song ''Ever Dream'' is just great! This song is like an emblem of the band. I like the production and guitar tone of their early albums a lot.

About Emppu, he is a very good melodic guitarist, unfortunately their latest album feels like without him. His solo on my favorite Nightwish song ''Ever Dream'' is just great! This song is like an emblem of the band. I like the production and guitar tone of their early albums a lot.

Oh, he's mostly fine, but for us who are used to Turilli or Tolkki or Liimatainen or Olbrich or even Enrik Garcia in the 00s, or even Delahaye (to keep it symphonic) he's... well, he's a "lesser star" to put it nicely and unfortunately, past Wishmaster (or wherever you put the line when they stopped being even slightly power metal altogether) he feels very often like an afterthought.

IMHO, that is.

Oh, he's mostly fine, but for us who are used to Turilli or Tolkki or Liimatainen or Olbrich or even Enrik Garcia in the 00s, or even Delahaye (to keep it symphonic) he's... well, he's a "lesser star" to put it nicely and unfortunately, past Wishmaster (or wherever you put the line when they stopped being even slightly power metal altogether) he feels very often like an afterthought.

IMHO, that is.
I can't compare it to Tolkki, ofc. But yeah, their power metal+symphonic metal style of the early albums is the best.

Back