Now drinking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnus, Dec 19, 2018.

1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Glenfiddich 12 is the benchmark for "a pretty good Scotch". It's what you generally find at the bar when you order scotch. I keep a bottle handy for general consumption, but it's not the scotch I want to be drinking.

I just can't afford that much money for the Scotch I prefer.

2. Wogmidget

Wogmidget I rather like the restless nights

What kind of bars do you go to? Around these parts you'd be lucky to find anything that isn't Johnnie Walker

3. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Well, I live in Canada, so we have quite a lot of "Scottish pubs". They aren't really very Scottish, but they do have some single malts.

4. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

I'm certainly not an expert (and after decades of smoking I suppose I might be missing some taste subtleties) but I tend to prefer more peaty whiskies. Or, if not, having something that stands up, I still remember a Scapa that tasted like a golden sunny afternoon (a little later I found out they don't make it anymore).
    On the rare occasions I drink whisky in a bar (usually spending my money on beer) I don't order single malt but mostly Irish whiskey.
    Out of curiosity, what is it?

5. Edington

Edington More Than Two Problems

[​IMG]

Bought a little bottle of this in Iceland. Going to try it with some vodka and tonic.

6. Wogmidget

[​IMG]

Magnus likes this.
  7. Edington

Treated myself to some more Lilley's ciders. Got rhubarb, tropical, strawberry, peach, cherries & berries and a very strong apple one called "Gladiator", which is the only one of this lot I've tried before, it was wonderful. Currently on the rhubarb and it's one of the tastiest ciders I've ever had. Trying to drink slow and savour it, but it's too nice.

8. Edington

Tropical one is not so good. The pineapple overpowers everything and I don't like pineapple. Must drink quickly so I can move onto the next one.

9. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Laphroaig is among my favourite whiskies. The one I usually buy is Bowmore, though. It is in that same smokey family, coming from the same island and all.

I usually keep a bottle of something simpler in case I have guests who don't like that kind of whisky. Famous Grouse or similar.

10. Edington

Peach cider is going down very easily. Cor blimey, guv'nor, this is gooooood.

11. Edington

I am down to my last cider. The GLADIATOR. It is very strong and very delicious, dangerously easy to drink for a strong one. Smooth, still, sweet, but not sickly. I am pleased.

12. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

[​IMG]

A few of these bad boys and listening to the book of souls, a nice bottle conditioned gold ale.

13. Wogmidget

[​IMG]
    Tried one of these yesterday. Bit much on the first sip, but every subsequent mouthful was progressively nicer

Magnus likes this.
  14. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Funnily enough, yesterday, while watching Aussie Rules at a pub in Sofia
    [​IMG]
    (Tea is Mrs M's btw)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM
  15. Wogmidget

16. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

They do a very nice red ale as well