Now drinking

Glenfiddich 12 is the benchmark for "a pretty good Scotch". It's what you generally find at the bar when you order scotch. I keep a bottle handy for general consumption, but it's not the scotch I want to be drinking.

I just can't afford that much money for the Scotch I prefer.

What kind of bars do you go to? Around these parts you'd be lucky to find anything that isn't Johnnie Walker
Well, I live in Canada, so we have quite a lot of "Scottish pubs". They aren't really very Scottish, but they do have some single malts.

Glenfiddich 12 is the benchmark for "a pretty good Scotch".
I'm certainly not an expert (and after decades of smoking I suppose I might be missing some taste subtleties) but I tend to prefer more peaty whiskies. Or, if not, having something that stands up, I still remember a Scapa that tasted like a golden sunny afternoon (a little later I found out they don't make it anymore).
It's what you generally find at the bar
On the rare occasions I drink whisky in a bar (usually spending my money on beer) I don't order single malt but mostly Irish whiskey.
that much money for the Scotch I prefer.
Out of curiosity, what is it?

liq_64r2.jpg

Bought a little bottle of this in Iceland. Going to try it with some vodka and tonic.

Treated myself to some more Lilley's ciders. Got rhubarb, tropical, strawberry, peach, cherries & berries and a very strong apple one called "Gladiator", which is the only one of this lot I've tried before, it was wonderful. Currently on the rhubarb and it's one of the tastiest ciders I've ever had. Trying to drink slow and savour it, but it's too nice.

Tropical one is not so good. The pineapple overpowers everything and I don't like pineapple. Must drink quickly so I can move onto the next one.

On the recommendation of @Perun: Laprhoaig Quarter Cask

lrgob.non1.jpg

All my half-decent scotch glasses are in the dishwasher, so I'm drinking out of a taller glass. Two drams, three rocks.

The nose is quite strong, but not in a bad way. Not harsh at all. You can smell the smoke, but a richer scent than the normal peat you'd get with it. A little sweetness on the outskirts too, so a nice malting. The palate is quite beautiful, very thick tasting, with notes of a caramel and smoke and you can taste the malt. The finish is smokey, but not overwhelmingly so. Whiskey Exchange says it's coal lingering, and maybe?

Probably the most complex scotch I've had yet, but this one is damn fucking good. A bit more pricey than I usually buy, but I'm extremely happy.

Laphroaig is among my favourite whiskies. The one I usually buy is Bowmore, though. It is in that same smokey family, coming from the same island and all.

I usually keep a bottle of something simpler in case I have guests who don't like that kind of whisky. Famous Grouse or similar.

I am down to my last cider. The GLADIATOR. It is very strong and very delicious, dangerously easy to drink for a strong one. Smooth, still, sweet, but not sickly. I am pleased.

helvick_small.png

A few of these bad boys and listening to the book of souls, a nice bottle conditioned gold ale.

ci-oharas-irish-stout-b563aca4fab8d1e5.jpeg

Tried one of these yesterday. Bit much on the first sip, but every subsequent mouthful was progressively nicer
Funnily enough, yesterday, while watching Aussie Rules at a pub in Sofia
thumbnail

(Tea is Mrs M's btw)

Last edited:
Got a few bottles of this

Aecht-Schlenkerla-Rauchbier-Marzen-from-Heller-Brauerei-beer-2.jpg

Didn't know what it was cause I can't read German. Turns out it's smoked beer WTF! Tastes a bit like a german dark beer but with just a smokey taste/smell. Not sure I'd get it again.

Back