Now drinking

But seriously, I just came back from a business trip to the U.S. state of Utah, where I encountered some rather strange liquor laws. Apparently bottled beer can be full strength, but tap beer is not allowed to exceed 4% alcohol there, and there are rules around how many beers you’re allowed to order based on how much food you order (1 per appetizer, 3 per entree, and 1 per dessert, or something to that effect).

Some beers are fine at 4%, but I saw that they had a stout on tap at the restaurant I was at, so I had to give it a shot. Not surprisingly, it tasted like 1/2 stout, 1/2 water. Oh well.

The scenery is pretty there, but I’m sure glad I don’t live in Utah...

But seriously, I just came back from a business trip to the U.S. state of Utah, where I encountered some rather strange liquor laws. Apparently bottled beer can be full strength, but tap beer is not allowed to exceed 4% alcohol there, and there are rules around how many beers you’re allowed to order based on how much food you order (1 per appetizer, 3 per entree, and 1 per dessert, or something to that effect).

Some beers are fine at 4%, but I saw that they had a stout on tap at the restaurant I was at, so I had to give it a shot. Not surprisingly, it tasted like 1/2 stout, 1/2 water. Oh well.

The scenery is pretty there, but I’m sure glad I don’t live in Utah...

Utah is certainly a special case. I lived there for about a year and a half and the beer laws are very stupid. However, there are workarounds:

1. Go to awesome breweries like Epic, 2Row, Wasatch, and buy the bottles and cans that can be any ABV and come chilled.
2. Go to the state-run Liquor stores ahead of time if you know what and when you want to drink. You’ll need to chill it or stock up because the selection is ludicrous limited.
3. Be content with ordering 22 oz 4% ABV beers at bars that don’t serve food, and thus, don’t count your drinks.

Another one from Yorkshire:
Now, the very existence of this brewery amuses me and here's why:

Saltaire is a Victorian model village built by Titus Salt to house his workers. One of the original rules of the place was that there were to be no pubs in the village (allegedly due to his personal beliefs - he was a Methodist (or something) - but more likely due to straighforward "horse sense" because he didn't want his workers drunk on duty). And this remained the case until comparatively recently but there are a few now (including one amusingly named "Don't Tell Titus").

Now the place has its own brewery. How times (and opinions) change!

Picked up some of these bad boys, never had the unfiltered version before, very nice

unfiltered1.ashx

Back